Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

The companies weren't in the habit of making more than one kit of a given type in the 60s/70s, and Frog already had the Mk.IV covered. The Mk8 was effectively unavailable by then, but as a subject it fell into the gap of being neither WW2 nor an up-to-date type. Then Airfix stopped doing historic 1/72 in the 80s anyway.

I'd be happy in any scale, however seeing as if they have just announced a 1/48 Defiant, my money is on 1/72 scale.

Either way, a large percentage of the modelling community will be very happy.... but where's my Venom?

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

My personal preference would be an F.8 in 1/72nd scale, I'd buy them by the shipping container load!

Yes, I know there's the MPM/Special Hobby kit but it's not without its faults (notably the very thick outer wing).

Hopefully if it sells well they'll do the decent thing and release it later in 1/48th - but then we're still waiting for them to scale down the Javelin and Sea Vixen to 1/72nd which I'd rather they did before releasing a Meteor in 1/48th!

I'm with Dave (Rabbit Leader), where's the Venom?

• Like 3

Where's my b****y Spitfire Mk.XII and Sea Vixen (and Javelin) in 1/72nd scale! Don't you love how these announcements of a release always provoke howls of anguish that it isn't being released in the one true scale (1/72nd, 1/48nd, 1/32nd, etc.). To be honest, the more the merrier in whatever scale and I'm just glad to see Airfix back in the game. Keep 'em comin' (as long as the next releases are the Spitfire Mk.XII, Sea Vixen, and Javelin in 1/72nd scale).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 4

Maybe start with the Second World War versions then the f4 onwards?

Hate to disagree with you but we really need the far more prolific and colourful F.8 before we need the earlier versions. The F.8 has so many more colour scheme options - RAF, RAuxAF, Australian and other overseas users I can't but help think it would sell more.

Colour schemes for the F.3 and F.4 are limited by comparison. I'm not saying don't give us an F.3/4, I'm just saying give us the F.8 first!

• Like 7

Yep... F.8 it's just gotta be.

My LHS still has the CyberHobby F.3 for sale which (on first impressions) does not appear to look to bad.

Seems like it has a lot more detail than Tamiya's 1/48 example.

Cheers.. Dave.

Any new Meteor is of course very welcome in the proper (1/48) scale!! However, regarding F4s, the ONLY F4 that we REALLY need is prefixed by the word McDonnell and suffixed FG1 or FGR2 :bleh::wicked:

Allan

• Like 3

Hate to disagree with you but we really need the far more prolific and colourful F.8 before we need the earlier versions. The F.8 has so many more colour scheme options - RAF, RAuxAF, Australian and other overseas users I can't but help think it would sell more.

Colour schemes for the F.3 and F.4 are limited by comparison. I'm not saying don't give us an F.3/4, I'm just saying give us the F.8 first!

Fair enough!