Airfix two seat ME262

Selwyn

Anyone else noticed that the airfix 2018 announcements  include a 1/72 two seat 262? Might have to invest in one of those, always liked the night fighter with the barbed wire nose.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did and I'm quite taken with the Czech markings, but for the thick end of twenty notes, I can safely say I'll not get one.

The important question is have they got the different rear cockpits sorted?  The Czech one is a 262B1a, a trainer with full duplicate gear bar the fusebox, and the nightfighter is a B1a/U-1 with radar gear, the operator was moved forward and an additional fuel tank behind him inserted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had in the "Cold War" aircraft forum; the same announcement also noted the FGR2 Phantom. I did notice that both the trainer and night fighter versions were to be featured. And, yes, that the trainer is in Czech markings. I wasn't aware of the difference between the two. My best reference on WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft is buried in a box in the garage(the late Mr. Green's massive and detailed tome). My short reference does give a brief description of the trainer and night fighter types; emphasis on brief. The Wooksta's question is an excellent one.

The problem with this and the single seat version is that Airfix omitted all the vent detail on the rear of the engine nacelles.  It is not a simple fix.  I had hopes of getting some of the Airfix kits to replace my Hasegawa and Revell 262s (which have engine detail problems of their own), but I would only be changing one set of issues for another.  Not really worth it and especially considering what Airfix (or the distributors / retailers as the case may be) are charging.

Judging by the photos on the site it appears that the 262 two seater has the nightfighter fuselage. The trainer fuselage was different in many respects, examples being the canopy sill, canopy height, fuel filler ports and footstep locations not to mention rear cockpit length among other things.

That's because Smer simply reboxed it with new decals.  

I've a feeling Hasegawa did the same thing with their Me 262B as well, because it was largely marketed as a nachtjager.