New Guy with Questions, Gripen Cockpit Color?

Mark V

Hello all!  I have been browsing Britmodeller for a couple of years while I was gathering up my modern European jet kits.  I have been building mostly 1/48th USAF kits but the European jets are so cool looking and I have some history with a couple.  Got the Draken, Gripen, Typhoon, Rafale, Mirage 2000, and a couple of Tornados (IDS and ADV) lined up to build.

I started with the Revell Germany 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon and got to the painting stage when I broke the canopy in half trying to get the mold line off.  Revell did send me a replacement but I did not get back to it yet.

While waiting on the canopy I started the Italeri 1/48th JAS-39A Gripen.  I have done several searches on this and other web sites for cockpit color info but am not finding everything.  I will be doing this one as a Swedich -39A single seater.  Basically keeping it out of the box with no aftermarket.

Question - What color are the cockpit floor and sidewalls?  I couldn't find that many photos of actual aircraft cockpits.  I found a few simulator and computer graphic representations, but those can't be trusted.  A couple of the photos that appear to be actual cockpits show the sidewalls to be black rather than light gray.  Is this correct - black sidewalls?  None of the photos show the cockpit floor clearly and it just looks dark down there.  One photo hints that it may be black also.

Thanks for your help.  In my many searches on this and other forums many of the photos are no longer displayed due to Photobucket's policy change last year.  I suspect that my questions here, and those to come, were probably answered and illustrated in the past but the photos are no longer displayed.

First of all welcome to the forum ! I'm sure you'll find it a very nice place to be chatting about models and other stuff...

The Gripen cockpit: there are some pictures in the Mark 1 volume on the type and from what I see instrument panel and consolles are grey, the floor is hard to see but looks grey to me (at least the little that is not hidden by the seat. Now the sidewalls... yes, the sidewalls are black above the consolles, the sides of the consolles on the other hand are in the same grey as the rest of the cockpit.

Going by the cockpit of Czech Gripens, leased from Sweden and coloured the same, the cockpit walls above console level and instrument coaming are flat black as is the control stick and the pedestal it's mounted in.

Instrument panels and consoles are a neutral shade of grey and rather satin in sheen, the grey extends to areas below console level and the floor.

These aren't the best shots, but they will give you a gist:

GFJ8agG.jpg

WxWr6Dz.jpg

Edited by upnorth
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  The photos do help. I see that Italeri didn’t get the throttle in the correct location, and totally missed trying to get the stick right. Rather than a small console they just gave me a grip on a pole.  Oh well, with a closed canopy and black paint it will hardly be noticed.