AH-1G Cobra 1/48 - Help needed

exdraken

Hello everybody!

I know here at BM we are not really specialized on helicopters, less so early ones but I give it a try, maybe somebody here can help!

Got myself  Fujimi AH-1G in 1/48that I want to build as a Spanish Navy example. 

I know already that the kit is not the very best kit in the world, but seems to be the only G model available at all.

I also have a Cobra Company cockpit for a J model that I plan to use. 

Any tips and tricks on what to do best? will the cockpit fit and be a reasonable representation?

I know already that the model came in at least 2 versions, one with the tail rotor to port side, and the other starboard. of course I have to change sides with this model.... ;)

20180109_201136_1

thanks a lot, 

Werner

• Like 1

I bought the Seminar kit of the AH-1G which if not a direct copy was at least heavily influenced by the Fujimi kit and after looking at the parts have never gone back to it and I was only wanting it for the nose turret to use or another project!!

From what I researched at the time these mouldings of the same parts in different boxings do seem to be all that is available for the AH-1G in 1/48 , the Lindberg parts seem to be very similar and the older Aurora kit is of a prototype.

I do recall someone once wondering if the various Monogram/Revell AH-1F/S releases might provide the basic shape with a Fujimi kit or one of its clones providing the more rounded cockpit canopy along with some scratchbuilding for the proper nose and gun turret profile but have never seen the parts for these kits and am not well enough informed on the AH-1 series to say if that would be at all feasible.

• Thanks 1

IIRC, out of the box the kit represents an early pre-production variant for an AH-1G. It does leave a lot of room for scratch building, i.e. both rotorheads, the shaft, and the cockpit. Also the tail rotor is on the wrong side for mid to late Cobras and it doesnt have the M28 turret containing the M134 minigun and M129 grenade launcher at all. Now with a -J cockpit from CC it would look great however you gotta remember that’s a twin engine Cobra and there are some controls that will show up different but if that doesn’t bother you then go for it. 

My advice just stick with the AH-1J kit as a base.

Edited by whiskey
  • Thanks 1

thanks guys, your answers suit me well!

I also read that the only really good solution was to combine a Fujimi J version with an S.... wo J available anywhere, so... I guess my G solution will be it!

strange by the way nowbody released a decent G yet... that was the main version after all during Vietnam, no?

56 minutes ago, exdraken said:

..............  strange by the way nowbody released a decent G yet... that was the main version after all during Vietnam, no?

It was indeed but it seems that the modelling world does not have enough P-51s or Spitfires yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Des said:

It was indeed but it seems that the modelling world does not have enough P-51s or Spitfires yet.

or whatever WWII fighter I suppose!

just discovered an interesting site:

about a short barreled 20mm Vulcan cannon:

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/xm35/superah1.html

and Cobra history:

sorry in spanish, but I guess some online translater will help ;)

http://www.portierramaryaire.com/fichas/ah1_1.php

I wanna do one of these, either in Armada or Marina versions..... sadly no M195 conversion out there ;)

20180109_201225_1

• Like 2

I managed to pick up 4 Fujimi AH-1J kits over the last 2 years relatively cheap and got 2 of the Cobra Company conversion sets for it plus a set of the Fireball decals in 1:48. One of these days I will finally make em. 

• Like 1

I recently finished building a G with the Cobra Company conversion and Fireball decals. It went well. The only thing the conversion doesn't address is the G's tail rotor gearbox fairing is different from the J. It's easy to modify with styrene. 

Ben

There is a conversion for the Ah-1J into a G or you can smack the J and that G together for a better G. Me on the other hand have to Cobra Company G conversion from Lonestar Models who has the molds now. The part l find hard is good Pictures and Decals for either the G or the J . If you do not want those G decals l will take them off your hands

Hacker....man of many talents master of none

On 1/10/2018 at 6:20 PM, exdraken said:

I wanna do one of these, either in Armada or Marina versions

Werner you seem to build a lot of the models on my list, do you have a secret copy?

The AH-1G is one that I have wanted to do myself for a long time, and in the Spanish markings too (I have the Fireball decal sheet). A new tool 1/48 kit is long overdue of this version and I cannot understand why one hasn't been kitted as it would surely be more popular than the AH-1Z which we have a new kit of, there are certainly far more colour schemes available and anything that served in Vietnam is always popular with modelers.

I will probably have to go down your route and use the Fujimi kit, I do have an AH-1J but there is no way I am cutting it up for a G as I want to build it as an Iranian one and as you say they are not easy to get hold of.

About time us helicopter modelers became better served by the many manufacturers out there.

• Like 1

Just a tip......Surely you'll know it, but just in case.....Back in december, 1978, when the Spanish Constitution was signed, the word Marina was changed to Armada, thus the emblem was also changed....be careful because the only difference is in the upper part of it....you'll notice a small crown...the later represents the Royal House of Borbón. The pre-1978 emblem sported a mural crown, instead of a Royal crown. I've seen some models with the wrong combination of emblem and lettering. The colour of the helicopters have been a cause of debate for years here in Spain, and the general consensus say that FS15042 is the best match.

So if you want to build a post dec 1978, you must use the word Armada, and use this style of anchoraged wings:

730px-Emblema_Flotilla_de_Aeronaves.svg.

Pre-1978:

b455a1716befe57c99841767dc414498--spanis

Post-1978:

cobra_armada_spain.jpg

Best regards....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Artie said:

Just a tip......Surely you'll know it, but just in case.....Back in december, 1978, when the Spanish Constitution was signed, the word Marina was changed to Armada, thus the emblem was also changed....be careful because the only difference is in the upper part of it....you'll notice a small crown...the later represents the Royal House of Borbón. The pre-1978 emblem sported a mural crown, instead of a Royal crown. I've seen some models with the wrong combination of emblem and lettering. The colour of the helicopters have been a cause of debate for years here in Spain, and the general consensus say that FS15042 is the best match.

So if you want to build a post dec 1978, you must use the word Armada, and use this style of anchoraged wings:

730px-Emblema_Flotilla_de_Aeronaves.svg.

Pre-1978:

b455a1716befe57c99841767dc414498--spanis

Post-1978:

cobra_armada_spain.jpg

Best regards....

Thanks a lot Artie!

Did not know or notice as of yet!

So I am stuck with an early , pre 1978 Marina one then...

The decals, although having both titles, only provide the earlier winged anchor... strange.. , they should known better I'd thought :(

@Artie

The Armada photo is a museum example showing a different style alltogether

This is operational

x1HqSV9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

402a264fe3480642d9a3b90bac1ab701--spanis

Hard to tell any difference!

@hacker 

You mean you really want these Black Bunny kit decals?

Send me a PM ;)

Edited by exdraken

Well, I'm pretty sure that if you look for it hard enough, you'll find an Armada chopper, with early style emblem.....you know, one thing is the official direction, and a quite different one is how they comply with them...surely, at some point, not all of the chopers were "repainted" as for the given orders, and maybe they shared both types of emblems.....

These pics maybe of some help...they show 007*8, at different stages of her life....

First pic: Early during her career. Just arrived to Rota Air Base....Underwing stores still in their original olive drab colour. Marina lettering. Mural crown. Pre-78.

15664876925_c68deed4f6_o.jpg

Second pic: "Marina" gave way to "Armada", and underwing stores already painted blue. Post-78.

15641135126_d637ca6fdf_o.jpg

Third pic: Just retired from front line service. Devoid of any weapon, this is one of the last four survivors wich wern't returned to the States.

15478710918_41aabf8f55_o.jpg

Fourth pic: Once retired and placed as a "gate guardian". Note the faded paint...the hot, sunny southern Spain can play havoc over the original colours.

15044735023_da5aa01249_o.jpg

Fifth pic: Here you are an "Armada" example, still wearing the early style of Mural Crown, so that's a question of selecting the right chopper......Post-78.

HA.14-2_01-702_Bell_AH-1G_Spanish_Navy_1

Sixth pic: The same 01*702, from a different angle...and no external stores..

6789855506_27bcfdd457_b.jpg

So...it's up to you to choose the right one, so no one could tell you you've built the wrong chopper....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 3

Pretty interesting as the 1st and 4th pics denote these aircraft were outfitted for the M-35 armament subsystem. I’ve never truly been attracted to the Spanish Cobra’s however these few pictures may change my mind....

10 hours ago, whiskey said:

Pretty interesting as the 1st and 4th pics denote these aircraft were outfitted for the M-35 armament subsystem. I’ve never truly been attracted to the Spanish Cobra’s however these few pictures may change my mind....

On 10.1.2018 at 7:20 PM, exdraken said:

about a short barreled 20mm Vulcan cannon:

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/xm35/superah1.html

Yeah, made me wande as well......

so way to reproduce that in 1/48 though....

the special hobby kit in 1/72 has it included....

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/ah-1g-cobra-spanish-idf-service.html?cur=1&force_sid=5pta1lt0kibkafaves02fl4lr4&lang=1&redirected=1

9987-deckel.jpg

from modelversium:

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=9987

they could easily upscale this kit to 1/48.... detail wise it would still eb a winner!

Edited by exdraken

44 minutes ago, exdraken said:

the special hobby kit in 1/72 has it included...

It would be very interesting to build one of them with the M-35 gun...but what about the saddle containers...????? Are they available in 1/48...????

22 minutes ago, Artie said:

It would be very interesting to build one of them with the M-35 gun...but what about the saddle containers...????? Are they available in 1/48...????

thanks fo rall those great pictures! thought that I had found all of them already ;)

saddle  amo containers are part of the problem.... no, not available as far as I know!

as already mentioned, the SH 1/72 urgently needs an upscaling!

The only scales I have seen the M-35 cannon set for is 1/32 and 1/72. I am more than sure that Floyd Werner over at Werner’s Wings would release one extremely fast if there was a 1/48 G Cobra available however as there isn’t it would be hard to convince him otherwise.

• Thanks 1