M10 Tank Destroyer Royal Artillery Italy 1944

Threadbear

Finally made a start on my new Tamiya M10 Tank Destroyer. Will be completed as a Royal Artillery vehicle in Italy in 1944 using Bison decals that I have had knocking around a while. Will also be using the new Ammo by Mig Sherman Commonwealth acrylic paint set. Have assembled the back plate, differential cover and interior floor and sponson plates.

Tamiya M10 Tank DestroyerTamiya M10 Tank DestroyerTamiya M10 Tank DestroyerTamiya M10 Tank DestroyerTamiya M10 Tank Destroyer

Some photos are a bit grainy as light was starting to go. 

• Like 11

Nice one Threadbear, I've been looking forward to seeing one of these being built. I was looking at the set of paints over the weekend, so will be intrested to see how they apply. I've used the bison set on my preist and a half track, very nice they are too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one Threadbear, I've been looking forward to seeing one of these being built. I was looking at the set of paints over the weekend, so will be intrested to see how they apply. I've used the bison set on my preist and a half track, very nice they are too.

I’ve also ordered the new AK Interactive Real Color equivalent set in error but will go with this set for this build. Thanks for the comments. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

I’ve also ordered the new AK Interactive Real Color equivalent set in error but will go with this set for this build. Thanks for the comments. 

I'm sure the AK set will come in handy, I'm going to use the Vallejo pots I picked up from my LHS.

Aye up,

Nice start. Snaffled one of these kits today so will watch this with great interest. I've used AK Real Color on my GB entry and it's great paint that flows very much like Tamiya acrylics. B)

Are you going for the light mud/OD scheme? 

Regards,

Steve 

This is a great kit, I was toying with the idea of doing one of these as well for the GB but I shall sit back and watch your build instead.

Got some Halfords grey primer on the interior of the hull ready for some Humbrol 130 satin white. Was planning on using some Tamiya X2 but that was no good. I feel once the hull is all mated together I can crack on with the rest of the kit. Also assembled the 12 roadwheels. Photos soon. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here for a while and not even sure if this will be finished by the closing date as my progress is somewhat glacial! I have assembled the bogies and whilst simpler than many M3/M4 bogie assemblies the idea of two part bogie skids is a retrograde step on a 2018 kit from Tamiya. The leading face of the bogie also needed quite a bit of clean up. However once tidied up the bogies do look the part. I have also added the add on armor mounts/nut to the hull side, glacis and turret. As these are so small (part A7) I snipped the whole lot off the sprue and cleaned up one side before removing finally removing completely from the sprue before adding to hull. The first photo explains what I am getting at. 

Tamiya M10 bogies.Tamiya M10 bogies.Tamiya M10 bogies.

It is surprising what a camera shows up! 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks fine to me.....You gotta stop scaring yourself with pictures like that bogey unit, unless the person looking has borrowed Steve Austin's right eye, they'll never see it like that, honest!  :D

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Did some more construction this morning whilst my partner was at her keep fit class! Assembling the 76mm breech  and adding parts to the interior of the turret. As is typical of Tamiya, no problems with fitting of parts. Lost part D41 (turret winding mechanism) to the abyss, so added some card and tube to the turret rim to mount the turning wheel. Added some Mr Surfacer 500 to the leading bogie faces and front of the breech. Next up I guess is some paint to these components then the turret can be closed up......

M10 continuesM10 continuesM10 continuesM10 continues

Thanks for looking. 

Grahame 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finished off the interior components of the M10. Used Vallejo buff on the shell packets with straps in English uniform. The white floor and bulkhead was dry brushed with Humbrol aluminium, then AK Interactive green grime for white vehicles, engine and turbine wash.  The AK European Dust and Beach Dust pigments. 

M10 interior

M10 interiorM10 interior

Next up, closing up the hull after painting a couple of parts I forgot to do whilst doing the above work! 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the fighting compartment Threadbear, there looks a nice bit of detail on the guns breach.

There is a decent amount of detail in the turret. Whilst it is not as detailed as the Academy M10’s, there is sufficient for when all the components are assembled. I have to say, that taking part in the GB is doing me good! It has encouraged me to get some modelling done and also do some painting. For a very long time, I have had a lack of desire to paint, in the fear of mucking it up! But here I am doing painting and feeling encouraged. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

There is a decent amount of detail in the turret. Whilst it is not as detailed as the Academy M10’s, there is sufficient for when all the components are assembled. I have to say, that taking part in the GB is doing me good! It has encouraged me to get some modelling done and also do some painting. For a very long time, I have had a lack of desire to paint, in the fear of mucking it up! But here I am doing painting and feeling encouraged. 

I have to admit I do most of my builds in the GB area, I also find I'm pushing myself to do now things which move me out my comfort zone. There are more focused words of encouragement and advice as with the STGB,  we are all building the vehicle granted in different scales. There is usely some else building the same kit as you have chosen to build which I find very useful, I do prefer the building phase like yourself I get a little worried as soon as the paint goes on.

• Like 1

Assembled the hull this afternoon, inserting the bulkhead, turret ring and sponsons. Some of the fit is a bit dubious but that maybe me rather than Tamiya`s moulding. The plan was to fit the backplate and side skirts, however fitting those parts will hinder the painting of the exhaust and radiator area. I feel that Academy`s and AFV Club certainly have the edge on Tamiya when it comes to the hull area of their respective M10 kits. 

40320146781_21c7b242ee_b.jpg40274901202_2b279d55c8_b.jpg39608706074_285e15de1d_b.jpg25449005147_1fa1b62a25_b.jpg

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 6

Not much done due to the extremely cold weather and an unheated shed. But painted up the exhausts with Humbrol 70 and dry brushed with 53 followed on with some MiG pigments smoke and white ash on the exhaust deflector and exhausts. Now I will be able to get the hull complete and concentrate on finishing off the turret. 

27/02

27/02

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 4