TU-95 Bear-D Intercept

This 1/144 Revell Bear-D was modified with 4 Doyusha electric motors, and an Mp3 player using actual USN GCI guidance as well as simulated Russian internal transmissions discussing the tactical situation.  This diorama is based on an 8mm home movie of a Bear-D overflying the the USS Kitty Hawk on its deployment to Vietnam in 1966.  This diorama won Silver at the Region 5 IPMS contest.  Hope you enjoy!  Click on pictures to view videos.   

IMG_3169

IMG_3171

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Brilliant job on the diorama! The Bear is my favourite aeroplane - if only someone would kit one of the early versions, like the Bear-D, in injection-moulded plastic in 1/72nd scale. Someday!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:41, CMSCHLOM said:

A-Model does one of the early versions in 1/72, but not a D model.  But you can build it as a trainer or with some work, into a Bear-D

I do have this kit. I have thought about building it as a Bear-B; I even have the Amodel Kangaroo missile I could use for it. And I have thought about converting it into the Bear-D, but I don't know what I'd use for the huge under fuselage radome. I do have parts to convert it into a Bear-E.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

I do have this kit. I have thought about building it as a Bear-B; I even have the Amodel Kangaroo missile I could use for it. And I have thought about converting it into the Bear-D, but I don't know what I'd use for the huge under fuselage radome. I do have parts to convert it into a Bear-E.

Regards,

Jason

The radar dome would be very easy to shape out of a soft wood, like balsa, or, even automotive putty like Bondo, or Bondo wood filler.  The rest of the antennas can be made out of card stock. 

• Like 1

:blink2: Wow...! This is really unique.

I suppose that you didn't take any pictures while fitting those Doyusha electric motors to the nacelles of the kit, CMSCHLOM? Some time ago I got several electric motors from Mabuchi, with which I intend to do the same thing about the propellers on a 1/48 PBY-5A kit. Then I started a 1/48 B-25J and forgot about the Catalina. But I might get some more electric motors for it.

I'm of the idea that every propeller-driven kit ought to be endowed with an electric motor. These kits look a lot different that way.

Congratulations on your award! I also wonder what diorama won the Gold award.

Really impressive.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:blink2: Wow...! This is really unique.

I suppose that you didn't take any pictures while fitting those Doyusha electric motors to the nacelles of the kit, CMSCHLOM? Some time ago I got several electric motors from Mabuchi, with which I intend to do the same thing about the propellers on a 1/48 PBY-5A kit. Then I started a 1/48 B-25J and forgot about the Catalina. But I might get some more electric motors for it.

I'm of the idea that every propeller-driven kit ought to be endowed with an electric motor. These kits look a lot different that way.

Congratulations on your award! I also wonder what diorama won the Gold award.

Really impressive.

Cheers,

Unc2 

Hi Uncle, hope these work.  These motors can be purchased from Hobby Link Japan for a few dollars.  Here they are:

IMG_2803

IMG_2804

IMG_2809

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Love it!

Which kit is the Phantom?

The Phantom is from Platz, an excellent F-4J in 1/144 scale.  I modified it to an F-4B.  If you can find the Platz F-4J, GET IT!  They are very difficult to find.  And you get 2 models per box plus decals.

• Like 1

That's awesome!

The video is cool - the radio conversation in the background really gives it atmosphere!

Have always had a fascination for the "Bear" - there's something mysterious or otherworldly about it to me.

A brilliant job all-round and highly worthy of silver, if not actually gold.

:goodjob::worthy:

• Thanks 1