US Navy soft skins 1950's colours?

bootneck

I am building a US Navy seaplane base diorama of the postwar era, late 1940's early 1950's, and would like to know what colours the US Navy staff cars, jeeps and other soft skin vehicles were at that time.  I have seen very light blue (grey blue?) images at a museum but was not sure of the period they depicted.  Any help please?

Mike

Ive always seen a Lt. grey used on jeeps and such. Very similar to hull grey maybe a little lighter but not by much. Staff cars I've seen in both grey and blue. The Blue ive seen seems dark. Maybe similar to the Dk. Sea blue of the period. But i take that with a grain of salt since most were in B&W photo’s or questionable (real or colorized)  color photo’s ?

Most color pics from that era show a very light blue. But anyone who's restored an old light blue car from that era will tell you they fade to a chalky light grey or very flat white pretty quickly. And that's on a super glossy finish, if the vehicles were flat or even semi gloss they would fade even faster. 

Edit: This is the color we used.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUT068SkFO49Lyne76Lwp

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

Just to be clear in the above post I was talking about jeeps and trucks only. From what I can tell the sky was the limit on staff cars. Most restored or orginal cars I found were in various shades of blue. From dark all the way to light. But there are pics of olive green USN cars and the occasional white or grey car. Heck, a guy on Classic Chevy claims to have an orginal red Chevy convertible that his dad bought at government auction. It supposedly belonged to a base commander in Texas.

Thanks gents, I appreciate this.  I have gone for a lightened PRU blue, mainly as it is the only colour I have that is similar to the jeep colour.  One more question, did the U.S. drop the large white star postwar?

Mike