Airfix 2018 releases: expect a 1/48 Hunter

Ossington 2

Looks like an interesting mix of new tool items & re-issues with new decals .  I suspect that Airfix may be having a goodly amount of my money next year .  Although I don't build in 1/48 any more , apart from Spitfires , I'll have to buy a Hunter since it's important to support Airfix when they produce such things .  I bought the new Walrus for the same reason

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grahamwalker said:

Thats very UNDERWELMING, another spitfire wow a 1/48 hunter oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, no new ships no new afv just aircraft most of it reboximg

You have just said that in a Cold War Aircraft forum!

I'm quite happy with the releases personally.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

It will be interesting to see if the parts  breakdown will permit easy modification to F4 orT7 Standard. possible future releases from this?

Selwyn

To which I'd add - number of pylons, sizes of tanks and other underwing stores. I'm also interested in how the Sabrinas are attached as the only Hunter I want to build is XE601 in her Porton Down sprayer role.

2 hours ago, Ossington said:

To be honest, I expected some military & naval re-releases on Airfix's site too. Maybe later? Lets hope Airfix don't foul up the Hunters wheels and canopy. 

Even if they did foul up the wheels & canopy , it would still be much better than the Academy abomination if the rest of it was ok

• Like 1

Well, that 1/48 Hunter is very good news! And also in a Dutch AF scheme :yes:

Looks like my New Year's resolution not to buy any new kits and spend this year finishing older projects has just gone down the drain.

As for any possible shape issues: just let's wait until we can lay our hands on the actual kit before we start winging about what may or may not be wrong with the kit, shall we? Give the Airfix chaps some credit and don't knock it beforehand. It's all so negative where we should be glad of the promise of a new 1/48 Hunter....

Robert

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RobertF said:

Well, that 1/48 Hunter is very good news! And also in a Dutch AF scheme :yes:

Looks like my New Year's resolution not to buy any new kits and spend this year finishing older projects has just gone down the drain.

As for any possible shape issues: just let's wait until we can lay our hands on the actual kit before we start winging about what may or may not be wrong with the kit, shall we? Give the Airfix chaps some credit and don't knock it beforehand. It's all so negative where we should be glad of the promise of a new 1/48 Hunter....

Robert

I have a shape issue! its not shaped like a Fairey battle which is what I want!

Selwyn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Very good news - hop they gone make a FG9 version as well.

One of the subjects shown is an F.6A, so if they do that properly then an FGA.9 would be easy to make even without a specific FGA.9 kit.

Very, very happy with this - thank you Airfix! :)

So they DO listen! I mentioned this at Telford 2 or 3 years back, and the Airfix rep was astounded that the only 1/48 Hunters were misshapen crap. An aircraft that sold around the world and severely under represented in kit form. Now I wonder if their next 1/24 scale kit will follow the conversation I had last November. It is something the rep was very keen on doing. (No, not a Hunter).

I'm very pleased with this one indeed. A decent Hunter at last. 

IMHO Airfix have an interesting release schedule for this year with a good mix of new tools and re releases.

I am a happy modeller indeed.

James

• Like 1

I'm a very happy modeller, we were told the Hunter was going to be announced at Telford 2016 but it never happened so this is great news. I arm wrestled 5 Academy Hunters into submission but I lost the will to fight any more. I can see Airfix getting a lot of my money this year with this and the Blenheim.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

So they DO listen! I mentioned this at Telford 2 or 3 years back, and the Airfix rep was astounded that the only 1/48 Hunters were misshapen crap. An aircraft that sold around the world and severely under represented in kit form. Now I wonder if their next 1/24 scale kit will follow the conversation I had last November. It is something the rep was very keen on doing. (No, not a Hunter).

You can tell us what your conversation was about, unless they made you sign an NDA. My money would be on a Gladiator, if it's totally new subject. Although, except for the Mossie and Typhoon, the whole 1/24 range needs revamping. 

Edited by VMA131Marine

10 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

Thats very UNDERWELMING, another spitfire wow a 1/48 hunter oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, no new ships no new afv just aircraft most of it reboximg

The Victor kit provides for both K.2 and S.R.2. The profile of the latter on the Airfix web site shows the modified underwing tank/air sampling pod and markings for No. 541 Sqn, if I'm not mistaken. Not a plain reboxing, maybe.

11 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Now, what to do with all those half-built Academy hunters?

Don't know why, I hear "Twin-Hunter" echoing in my mind. A what-if successor to the Twin-Mustang, and Hawkers' response to the Sea Vixen.

• Julien locked this topic