Airfix 2019

jenko

On 7/6/2018 at 3:19 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Next ones the third anniversary edition (and described as very special) perhaps we may get something revealed in two weeks time 

It's got to be a new mould Vulcan B2... :tomato:

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Now if anyone from Airfix is reading this thread, please do not take the views of Allan aka Albeback52 as representative, the rest of the world wants a Spitfire XIV, 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/24th scales please.

Not all of us do! 

How do you define a perfect new release list?  One that has no Spitfires, Hurricanes, P51s, Me109s or FW190s 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

How do you define a perfect new release list?

Being Ex-RAF that's easy!  Something without anything RN/FAA in it! :tease:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Now now ladies. Carry on like that and you’ll be sentenced to work in the Starfix factory 🙄

So then, That Balliol I was talking about.....

Trevor

• Haha 3

I don't understand the fuss for 1/24 scale aircraft, over the years i could count on one hand the number of built 1/24 kits where they don't look like toys . I think aircraft shouldn't be in any scale larger than 1/32. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I don't understand the fuss for 1/24 scale aircraft, over the years i could count on one hand the number of built 1/24 kits where they don't look like toys . I think aircraft shouldn't be in any scale larger than 1/72. 

FTFY 😉

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I don't understand the fuss for 1/24 scale aircraft, over the years i could count on one hand the number of built 1/24 kits where they don't look like toys . I think aircraft shouldn't be in any scale larger than 1/32. 

Damn! There was me thinking of suggesting that Hornby buy the moulds from 21st Century toys for the 1/18th Phantom II :whistle:

4 hours ago, Chimpion said:

I'm hoping the special announcement this year will be a 54mm kit of Harry Kane lifting the World Cup. I don't much care whether it's in the white and blue or red colour scheme.

Ah, a 'What-if' version then? :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Fortunately the subjective quality of finished models in relation to scale has little bearing on their ‘worthyness’ for a new release or if they will sell well..

A large portion of them are bought and never built... I suspect if you’re in the model kit selling business you don’t really care about that. A sale is a sale...

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

I happen to enjoy building 1/24 scale. Something I think that came from all those years staring up at the fantastic box art on the Airfix Superkits high up on the model shop shelves. Could never afford them though. Now I'm told I shouldn't be allowed to build them as aircraft kits must only go up to 1/32 scale. Seriously? Personally, I think 1/144 scale for aircraft sucks, far too weeny for my tastes, but I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't be building them because aircraft models shouldn't be any smaller than 1/72.

This one isn't very toy like...

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/25262-124-trumpeter-hurricane/&

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Chewbacca said:

How do you define a perfect new release list?  One that has no Spitfires, Hurricanes, P51s, Me109s or FW190s 😁

With the exception of a Spitfire XIVe in 1/72 (not my fault the Belgian air force seems to have been about the largest user of the type after the war...)!

1 hour ago, ivand said:

With the exception of a Spitfire XIVe in 1/72 (not my fault the Belgian air force seems to have been about the largest user of the type after the war...)!

From Wikipedia: "In total, 957 Mk XIVs were built, over 430 of which were FR Mk XIVs.[37] After the war, second hand Mk XIVs were exported to a number of foreign air forces; 132 went to the Royal Belgian Air Force, 70 went to the Royal Indian Air Force and 30 of its reconnaissance variant went to the Royal Thai Air Force."

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

.....Then the Belgian Air Force had very good taste! 🙂

Can I have a Mk XIVe in 1/24 please?

Remember that the thread is Airfix 2019.  Whatever is coming then has already been chosen and being worked on now: so 'requests' are off topic.

As far as 1/24 subjects are concerned, these take some 3-5 years from the go-ahead decision preceded by substantial data gathering.

Does anyone want to start an Airfix 2025 thread?

Well I was hoping all the prep had been done and the 1/24 Spit XIVe will be announced at Telford this year.....along with the 1/48th Flying Pig.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

From Wikipedia: "In total, 957 Mk XIVs were built, over 430 of which were FR Mk XIVs.[37] After the war, second hand Mk XIVs were exported to a number of foreign air forces; 132 went to the Royal Belgian Air Force, 70 went to the Royal Indian Air Force and 30 of its reconnaissance variant went to the Royal Thai Air Force."

Well, that would make us the largest 'foreign' user - after the RAF... 😉

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, Wez said:

:tease:

Now if anyone from Airfix is reading this thread, please do not take the views of Allan aka Albeback52 as representative, the rest of the world wants a Spitfire XIV, 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/24th scales please.

:tease:. Can I help it if the rest of the world is wrong?:whistle:

Allan

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Plasto said:

A modern day Dogfight double for adult collectors and enthusiasts would need to have two types that   Historically fought each other in the correct markings with perfect research for the colour schemes.... Even then we’d argue about it on here....

Which is what Airfix did with the Dornier/Defiant DD.  I was describing the situation back in the 60s/70s when a Series 2 DD had 2 x Series 1 and a Series 3 DD 1 x Series 2 and 1 x Series 1.  Don't think Airfix place themselves under any such constraint nowadays.

• Like 1

What's the economy in buying a Spitfire/Messerschmitt DD gift set for £21.99 when one can buy a Spitfire or Messerschmitt gift set for £9.99 each (or an ordinary Spitfire or Messerschmitt for £6.99 eash)?

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/military-aircraft/spitfire-mkia-and-messerschmitt-bf109e-4-dogfight-doubles-gift-set-1-72.html

What does it say? It's more expensive producing a DD gift set (?)... ...but there must be enough of buyers as Airfix goes this way and gets money on those gift sets.  Even if it's an expensive DD gift set. Or...?

/André

Edited by Andre B

17 minutes ago, Andre B said:

What's the economy in buying a Spitfire/Messerschmitt DD gift set for £21.99 when one can buy a Spitfire or Messerschmitt gift set for £9.99 each (or an ordinary Spitfire or Messerschmitt for £6.99 eash)?

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/military-aircraft/spitfire-mkia-and-messerschmitt-bf109e-4-dogfight-doubles-gift-set-1-72.html

What does it say? It's more expensive producing a DD gift set (?)... ...but there must be enough of buyers as Airfix goes this way and gets money on those gift sets.  Even if it's an expensive DD gift set. Or...?

/André

Because once you add paints and glue etc the DD works out cheaper. While the Spitfire and 109E starter sets are indeed marginally cheaper individually, they make a nicer gift for a child at a birthday or Christmas in a single box complete with history and evocative artwork.

1 hour ago, snowen250 said:

Because once you add paints and glue etc the DD works out cheaper. While the Spitfire and 109E starter sets are indeed marginally cheaper individually, they make a nicer gift for a child at a birthday or Christmas in a single box complete with history and evocative artwork.

Yes,

And the same logic says that Airfix should continue giving out DD Gift sets in 1/72 instead of making another big 1/24 kit... ;)