Airfix 2019

jenko

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Am I correct in thinking that Alan Hall did one of his splendid conversions to this variant in the original Airfix Magazine back in the late 60s/early 70s?

I don't remember that but I do recall seeing an article converting the Lindberg Vulcan to a B2 in Scale Models!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

The wing parts are on a separate sprue so in theory yes. There are however other things to take into consideration (in no particular order and not all may be relevant to a particular specimen) pole type aerial, different wheel hubs, possibly a Watts fixed pitch prop and unarmoured windscreen, although for the latter you would have to fiddle with the fuselage and delete one of the access hatches behind the cockpit. 

@Troy Smith is your go-to man for the subtleties of the Hurricane.

Trevor

I know its been said once or twice before, but I think its worth repeating (loudly and often) for the hard of understanding: 1/ 72 ENGLISH ELECTRIC CANBERRA B2!

The judgement of the design elves at Airfix (and bean-counters) has to be questioned if they havn't got this at or near the top of their to do list. It has be a sure fire money spinner for them - even more than I suspect the Phantom FG1/FGR2 is (or will be) - I would certainly buy more Canberras (and I've bought 5 Phantoms...) and I somehow don't think I'm alone.  Just think of all the potential options, the different operational colour schemes, all those funny noses, the 'special' versions  and also the odd PR mark at a stretch (ahem...); and that's just in UK service. I am literally drooling over my keyboard at the thought of a Canberra TT18 in RN colours from a kit by Airfix at the top of their game (and I don't even do FAA).

It must also tick all the right Airfix boxes too: its iconic; its British; its cold war; it has international appeal (even the USAF had 'em); it replaces a previous catalogue item; its not too big in 1/72; there's no mainstream competitor; accessible LIDARable examples exist in the UK (as do I would imagine do good drawings).  

Come on Airfix what's stopping you? You know it makes sense!  🙏

Rich    

Edited by RichG
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, RichG said:

The sanity of the design elves at Airfix (and bean-counters) has to be questioned if they havn't got this at or near the top of their to do list. It has be a sure fire money spinner for them

We could probably all come up with half a dozen 'guaranteed money spinners' that Airfix would be insane if they didn't kit, and they would probably be completely different.

• Like 5

Really? Well perhaps but I am not sure I could name half a dozen...  I only came up with the one but I'd be happy to see others listed - and  perhaps Airfix should do them all! At 42 pages of suggestions on the topic they may be spoilt for choice 😊

We're all entitled to our opinion Gorby. That's just mine - sorry if you don't like how I expressed it.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RichG said:

We're all entitled to our opinion Gorby.

Quite Right!

But calling their sanity into question….

43 minutes ago, RichG said:

perhaps Airfix should do them all!

Wouldn't that be great.

Mine (which I may mentioned before cough, cough) are:

1/24 Me 262 – one of the most popular aircraft ever and has never been kitted in 1/24.

1/48 D.H.88 Comet - the 1/72 is one of Airfix's biggest selling kits ever, so bigging it up looks like a good idea.

1/48 Seaking – Also one of Airfix's best selling kits in 1/72. The Hasegawa kit is getting a bit long in the tooth and still goes for good prices and there are many dozens of marking options.

I might be stretching things with this:

1/24 Me 163 – Many modellers like the detail that comes with 1/24 but don't have room. But the 163 is a popular (judging by the number I see built) and very small aircraft.

(OK maybe not half a dozen - but ask me tomorrow and there many be a few more. And the day after that, and ..........)

I forgot:

1/48 Fairey Gannet – The Classic Airframes kit is much fought over on Evilbay.

Edited by Gorby
addition
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RichG said:

I knew half a dozen would be a challenge..

Come on – five! That's nearly there.

OK, OK, you asked for it……

1/48 Avro Vulcan – because it would be bloody brilliant!

Satisfied? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gorby said:

1/48 Avro Vulcan – because it would be bloody brilliant!

Satisfied? 

getting there... 😊 now all we need to do is to change that 4 to a 7 and perhaps the 8 to a 2...  and i'd be truly ecstatic !:thumbsup:

... and my loft would then be fully insulated

Rich (space challenged ) G

PS D.H. 88 Comet :wub:

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RichG said:

now all we need to do is to change that 4 to a 7 and perhaps the 8 to a 2

That's a silly idea – how would you be able to use that as a coffee table?

Think it through man!

:giggle:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Think it through man!

By displaying upside down with the bomb doors open to receive the tea mugs.

Trevor

• Haha 2

New tool 1/72 Vulcan, with one piece intakes, 201/301 jetpipes and the option to make a B.1

1/72 Andover E.3/C.1, with red/white 115 sqn or desert brown camo decal options.

1/72 Canberra B.2/TT.18 

1/72 Scimitar

1/48 Phantom FGR.2

1/48 Victor B.1/B.2/K.2

Surely everyone would be happy with those!

Wouldn't you?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RichG said:

I know its been said once or twice before, but I think its worth repeating (loudly and often) for the hard of understanding: 1/ 72 ENGLISH ELECTRIC CANBERRA B2!

The sanity of the design elves at Airfix (and bean-counters) has to be questioned if they havn't got this at or near the top of their to do list. It has be a sure fire money spinner for them - even more than I suspect the Phantom FG1/FGR2 is (or will be) - I would certainly buy more Canberras (and I've bought 5 Phantoms...) and I somehow don't think I'm alone.  Just think of all the potential options, the different operational colour schemes, all those funny noses, the 'special' versions  and also the odd PR mark at a stretch (ahem...); and that's just in UK service. I am literally drooling over my keyboard at the thought of a Canberra TT18 in RN colours from a kit by Airfix at the top of their game (and I don't even do FAA).

It must also tick all the right Airfix boxes too: its iconic; its British; its cold war; it has international appeal (even the USAF had 'em); it replaces a previous catalogue item; its not too big in 1/72; there's no mainstream competitor; accessible LIDARable examples exist in the UK (as do I would imagine do good drawings).  

Come on Airfix what's stopping you? You know it makes sense!  🙏

Rich    

Talking 1/72 the much the same could be said of a 2 stage engined Mosquito, and quite a few other subject too: Halifax, Venom, Boston, Beaufort, Hunter, Meteor just off the top of my head.  But whatever is chosen must be at the expense of something else.

The 'design elves' don't choose the subjects: they provide data such as design costs that are material in making the choice of subject.  Likewise Airfix has no 'bean-counters'!  All financial matters are managed on a corporate basis ie by Hornby Hobbies.  But there's a dark shadow over everything; HH are deeply in debt and one must thank their bank for extending their credit in contravention of their original terms.  Not sure of the exact details others may know better - but don't drift off thread! 

Surely God is a modeller.

• Like 2

You gotta speculate to accumulate - or so the saying goes.  This proverb is probably little to help Hornby Hobbies in search of a sensible long-term investment strategy, but it does suggest something important about one of the basic principles of investing; the relationship between risk and reward. I absolutely recognise that there are competing options for new products - but I was simply going into bat for one particular subject and trying to present a rationale for it's selection. The intent of the thread..? 🤔

Reference to particular job titles were as imagined by me and made for humorous effect ...:tumble:  

And we do live in a wonderful era of modelling where many a prayer is answered - mine anyway - before anyone starts! 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

There has not been a lack of investment by Airfix. Indeed, we might say that this has been a new Golden Age of kit releases. But Airfix cannot carry the Hornby Group alone and the bigger picture affects what Airfix can do.

18 hours ago, Gorby said:

Think it through man!

Go back to Victorian type furniture ;

https://wren-chest.myshopify.com/products/glass-top-display-coffee-table

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Southern-Enterprises-Terrarium-Glass-Display-Coffee-Table-in-Black/PRD2NJLUAWYV0AB

https://soprettyisasprettydoes.com/tag/display-coffee-table/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ratch said:

There has not been a lack of investment by Airfix. Indeed, we might say that this has been a new Golden Age of kit releases. But Airfix cannot carry the Hornby Group alone and the bigger picture affects what Airfix can do.

NO ordinary member of the public knows whether the model railway side is "carrying" the Hornby group, or whether Airfix is, or either.

There are  RUMOURS  (and only rumours from a now old annual report) that Corgi and Scalectrix are not performing well, but "we" don't know the truth.

Should Airfix produce more variants of the same aircraft or should it produce different, previously un-kitted aircraft in one or two types?

Personally I prefer the latter, but which would make more sense for their profitability?

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Should Airfix produce more variants of the same aircraft or should it produce different, previously un-kitted aircraft in one or two types?

Personally I prefer the latter, but which would make more sense for their profitability?

Gorby, I think we'd all prefer the latter, BUT, certainly in the 'short term' I feel that a leaf out of the Hasegawa book won't come amiss.

2 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

NO ordinary member of the public knows whether the model railway side is "carrying" the Hornby group, or whether Airfix is, or either.

There are  RUMOURS  (and only rumours from a now old annual report) that Corgi and Scalectrix are not performing well, but "we" don't know the truth.

:hmmm:would be carefull speaking in absolutes! :whistle:

• Like 1

Hey, I have a completely fresh (I hope, I missed out a couple of pages here & there) idea for a guaranteed money spinner.

Alouette II in 72nd and 48th. I think the only IM kits ever have been the large Revell and the fairly ancient 1/50 and 1/100 Heller kits (actually I'm not sure they did a II besides the Lama in 50th). Used by a lot of European armed forces including the big three, of those two in really substantial numbers. Also by the IAF which should generate some extra sales. With a service longevity that makes the Phantom blush. What could you ask more (well, perhaps a faired-in tailboom...) ?

• Like 1