Airfix 2019

jenko

Ok... lets go left field, because there is always something of that ilk each year.

1/48 Gannet...… British, cold war, FAA, other countries used them...…. well that's ticked ALL the boxes. :bleh:  :penguin:

Dick

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Fair point but, that did not seem to deter Italeri from producing a pair of Stirling kits. However, I think you may be right anyway. Not because of the lack of items mentioned but rather because Airfix may not wish to duplicate the subject. As I already have one of each of the Italeri kits I have no interest in an Airfix kit of same. My own personal preference would be for a new B-24 / B-29 . I would have included a Heinkel HE-177 but, Revell are reissuing their excellent kit later this year😀

Allan

Once again, there's no extant examples of a He177 and I very much doubt any quality engineering drawings.

If other manufacturers are happy to tool subjects against un-verifiable drawings, that's their business.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

It would be interesting to start a poll for what ‘we the modelling fraternity’ would rather see Airfix kit next - a Me410 or the seriously neglected Bristol Beaufort. This experiment would cost Airfix nothing whilst giving them some type of marketing knowledge that they ‘might’ use for future decision making.

Being a betting man - I predict the Beaufort would be a shoe in by a ratio of 10:1. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I doubt a poll would achieve very much, if only because Britmodeller users represent but a fraction of the market.

I'm sure Airfix, or any other manufacturer, are well aware what they can and can't profitably sell.

Moreover I'm sure that Airfix have analysed all 'eligible' types in their time frame and then further the most promising.  The person who got a 'hollow laugh' when suggesting a Scimitar says it all.

And of those 'still standing', there are still far too many to make any rational prediction of what is to come: only that there must be some variety.  It's unrealistic to expect a Hampden, A20 Havoc/Boston etc to follow straight on after a Wellington.  Variety in nationality too.

And if that's not enough there is the budget, projected cash flow and the likes to consider....

• Like 1

I guess there is a market for M-346 and MiG-19 in 1/72, but these will come from Italeri and Zvezda before Airfix would do.

Edited by MiG-Mech

The C-130 Hercules deserve an updated kit.

Airfix can make several versions by planning ahead - H, J and stretched J for RAF and other European nations and US gunship.

1/72 is the right scale for it, too large in in 1/48.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, Denford said:

The Hampden will surely come but not 'on the heels of' the Wellington.

The Halifax may well come some time in the medium/long term.

The Stirling will never come as there is no extant example, nor manufacturer's drawings.

Airfix are probably watching the current RAF Cosford restoration of the Hampden closely and will time their release coincide with its completion...

The Halifax would be welcome indeed...

What did Italieri use for their Stirling? An often used method we use in the engineering field is if there is no specification, then you can not be wrong!

On 8/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, Procopius said:

Anything with a swastika on it sells, sadly, so I'd take that bet.

To a point: In my total stash/completed inventory, I have 3 German and 2 American planes, the rest are RAF! (And believe me, there's a LOT of them!)

On 8/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, 12by12 said:

Ju-88A-1 would win out of those two..

Agreed: It would be nice to see a new tool Ju88 to complete the BOB collection.

As I've mentioned before (and a few others on here) a new tool 1/72 Walrus would be lovely as well, (please Mr Airfix) and also a new tool 1/72 Arado Ar196 to go up against it/compliment it...

And yes, I too think Airfix have missed a trick by not releasing a metal wing Hurricane... The Arma looks good from what you can see on their website

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

The C-130 Hercules deserve an updated kit.

Airfix can make several versions by planning ahead - H, J and stretched J for RAF and other European nations and US gunship.

1/72 is the right scale for it, too large in in 1/48.

Yes, totally agree on a 1/72 Hercules. That aircraft is a no-brainer money maker for the first big name company to release a new tooling. Long overdue!

Over 50 countries flew/fly them! It is currently the longest produced military aircraft. Would sell well in Japan!

Plus I served on them for 8 years!

• Like 3

Rather disappointed with Airfix choice of decals for the new release of the current Lancaster kit.

They have chosen S-Sugar from 467 Squadron as a tribute to this great aircraft but I feel they could have opted for another worthy veteran.

The second choice option is ANOTHER 57 Squadron aircraft, they do seem rather limited in their decision making  . . . .. more than plenty to chose from so why go with the same squadron ???

Edited by Mancunian airman

Last year the lead researcher from Airfix gave a lecture on how they develop the kits, he was very coy about revealing what is planned but mentioned that the biggest plane they had lidar'd was at Seattle. Looking at the museum there it could be a new Concorde which would fit with the 50th Anniversary of the 1st Flight (March 2019).

He also said it wasn't a B52 or B29

He also mentioned working on a plane in Yorkshire that was outside

Of course, this doesn't mean they will make it as a kit.

So lets see what happens

Cheers Rich

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Last year the lead researcher from Airfix gave a lecture on how they develop the kits, he was very coy about revealing what is planned but mentioned that the biggest plane they had lidar'd was at Seattle. Looking at the museum there it could be a new Concorde which would fit with the 50th Anniversary of the 1st Flight (March 2019).

Probably this one in Seattle 🙂

http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/Wonder-Womans-Invisible-Plane

Probably the Victor in Yorkshire - the presence of XL231 as one of the decal options follows the previous of thanking people who have helped by including their aircraft in the kit.

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

Of course, this doesn't mean they will make it as a kit.

So lets see what happens

Cheers Rich

Very interesting.

I attended a lecture the day the B-17 was announced: 2015.  He said he would be going (almost immediately I think) to the West Coast USA to 'research' a subject.

I asked him about this at Telford last year.  The said subject had been put on hold, but that 'I'd know it when it came'.

I think the largest LIDAR'ed  so far is the He111.

A study of the Seattle Air Museum website didn't reveal anything I'd consider 'likely', but that was this morning and the visit was 3 years ago.  And I suppose it doesn't have to be in the Museum either.

Not a B-52 or B-29 so what then?

I have a 'Favourites' link to a series of photos (which unfortunately I can't link to anything else) of a PB4Y-2 Privateer, ex firefighter (makes sense in Seattle) being restored to original configuration.  Now I wonder …..

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

My heart says Beverley but common sense says Victor K2.

If you go the Airfix web site and look at this

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-bomber-of-distinction

They are doing the K2

Dick

Edited by jenko

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

That's funny!

I wouldn't be surprised if, given the popularity of the recent movie with Gal Gadot, that page is a response to internet/phone queries asking if they had the article on display... :doh:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

Yes, totally agree on a 1/72 Hercules. That aircraft is a no-brainer money maker for the first big name company to release a new tooling. Long overdue!

Over 50 countries flew/fly them! It is currently the longest produced military aircraft. Would sell well in Japan!

Plus I served on them for 8 years!

Would love to see a new tool with a new tool Bloodhound to go with it!

49 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Would love to see a new tool with a new tool Bloodhound to go with it!

Knowing our luck it would the doggy. :dog:

Would bring a new meaning to a dog fight double though :doh::whistle:

Dick

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Rather disappointed with Airfix choice of decals for the new release of the current Lancaster kit.

They have chosen S-Sugar from 467 Squadron as a tribute to this great aircraft but I feel they could have opted for another worthy veteran.

The second choice option is ANOTHER 57 Squadron aircraft, they do seem rather limited in their decision making  . . . .. more than plenty to chose from so why go with the same squadron ???

The big advantage is that the aircraft itself is in the RAF Museum and so it, or an image will have been seen by thousands. When the kit is being bought  I can hear someone saying 'that's the one we saw in London' 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Denford said:

A study of the Seattle Air Museum website didn't reveal anything I'd consider 'likely', but that was this morning and the visit was 3 years ago.  And I suppose it doesn't have to be in the Museum either.

Not a B-52 or B-29 so what then?

B-47 Stratojet

Douglas DC-2

DH Comet 4C

A-6E Intruder/EA-6B Prowler

F-14A Tomcat

Lockheed M-21/A-12/SR-71 Blackbird