Airfix 2019

jenko

13 hours ago, RussellE said:

FWIW I'd like to see Airfix round out it's 1/72 bomber series:

HP Hampden

HP Halifax

Short Stirling

yes, I know the last two have recently been re-tooled by other companies, but I just happen to prefer Airfix, so I say: nyah-nyah nee nyah nyaah 😁

The Hampden will surely come but not 'on the heels of' the Wellington.

The Halifax may well come some time in the medium/long term.

The Stirling will never come as there is no extant example, nor manufacturer's drawings.

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Fine Molds?

The Me410 Fine Molds was reviewed at length in Military Model Preview a few years back.  Besides not knowing how to reproduce it, there is also the copyright issue so:

1. The fin on both fuselage halves is canted to the left by some 5 degrees.

2. The slots for the tailplanes are at different levels!

The review has photos of both: I've looked at my (unbuilt) example and am hard-put to confirm or otherwise either or both!  That said the reviewer bought a second kit and found both the same faults.

3. The anti-glare shields are mounted integrally with the exhausts.

4. Box art shows the dive brakes open, but in the kit they are integral with the wings.

5. No gunsight for the pilot.

6. A few minor niggles on fit, need for filler etc.

However they completely miss two much more serious issues.

a. The nacelles are oversized to the point where one German aftermarket firm has made replacements.  How these are incorporated when some 40% of the nacelles are moulded with the wing halves isn't clear.

b. The nacelles are perpendicular to the wing rather the ground.

I think there is a review somewhere in Hyperscale.

Like I said, time for a new tooling: I can't see anyone other than Airfix doing so and as a subject it is entirely consistent with their selection criteria.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

I'd like to see a new 1/72 Me 210 and/or Me 410. :)

Former is isn’t  going to happen, but as someone who wants to do the italeri kit and never gets around to it I wouldn’t say no to a nice red box me410 appearing in 2019......

5 hours ago, Denford said:

The fin on both fuselage halves is canted to the left by some 5 degrees.

I'm not sure this is a mistake. Lots of prop aircraft have canted fins to counteract the torque of the engine: Bf 109, Hurricane, F4U, and others.

It would be interesting to start a poll for what ‘we the modelling fraternity’ would rather see Airfix kit next - a Me410 or the seriously neglected Bristol Beaufort. This experiment would cost Airfix nothing whilst giving them some type of marketing knowledge that they ‘might’ use for future decision making.

Being a betting man - I predict the Beaufort would be a shoe in by a ratio of 10:1. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm not sure this is a mistake. Lots of prop aircraft have canted fins to counteract the torque of the engine: Bf 109, Hurricane, F4U, and others.

No: you are thinking of offset.  In the kit (or at least the photos of the parts) the fin leans to the left ie it isn't vertical/square with centreline of the fuselage in the head-on view.

'Canted' isn't perhaps the best word and I only used it becausse the review used it.

4 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Airfix are part of the PC crowd now - no swastikas allowed at all decals or box art ! 

Actually it’s just simple economics, as you can’t sell stuff with swastikas in certain countries, easier to just not bother than have two different boxings. 

• Like 2

It would be interesting to start a poll for what ‘we the modelling fraternity’ would rather see Airfix kit next - a Me410 or the seriously neglected Bristol Beaufort. This experiment would cost Airfix nothing whilst giving them some type of marketing knowledge that they ‘might’ use for future decision making.

Being a betting man - I predict the Beaufort would be a shoe in by a ratio of 10:1. 

Ju-88A-1 would win out of those two..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 12by12 said:

Ju-88A-1 would win out of those two..

Maybe - but it’s my poll and I’m not including it!

No seriously, for all those who say that a Hurricane is a Hurricane no matter what type of wing it has, perhaps a fresh kit like a Beaufort might generate fresh sales that a Ju88 wouldn’t? 

Anyway it’s all fun and games so who knows what’s on the agenga at Airfix ?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Actually it’s just simple economics, as you can’t sell stuff with swastikas in certain countries, easier to just not bother than have two different boxings. 

That doesn't stop Eduard from incorporating swastikas on their decal sheets, and other manufacturers do it by having said swastika in two halves. 

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ok. For what it's worth here's my list. Limiting myself to five, I would gladly buy all of the following, in 1/72 of course:

Boston Mk III

Spitfire Mk XIV

Hampden Mk I

Mustang Mk III

Beaufort Mk I

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 593jones said:

That doesn't stop Eduard from incorporating swastikas on their decal sheets, and other manufacturers do it by having said swastika in two halves. 

When you start seeing eduard kits in the local equivalents of Asda etc then you might see them sensor the swazis......

6 hours ago, Denford said:

No: you are thinking of offset.  In the kit (or at least the photos of the parts) the fin leans to the left ie it isn't vertical/square with centreline of the fuselage in the head-on view.

'Canted' isn't perhaps the best word and I only used it becausse the review used it.

Interesting! I'll have to look at my copies of the kit because I had not noticed this.

3 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Well I've seen two of next years new tools mentioned in this thread so far 😁  and Airfix do read these forums , and have a good laugh at some of the bankrupting ideas 😨

Well this thread is now at 943 posts and 38 pages - you reckon you could narrow it down a bit? 

Odds on a 1/48 Spit XIV will be one of the two, but there's too many previously mentioned subjects to have a stab at the other. 

Nice to know that Airfix are reading these silly snippets - so just sending a big thanks to you guys and girls for doing all that you do to keep our hobby thriving. 

Cheers.. Dave (who has been quietly waiting for some time for a little Venom to compliment his little Vamp!)

36592094136_57264e5c78_b.jpg

• Like 6

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, Denford said:

The Stirling will never come as there is no extant example, nor manufacturer's drawings.

Fair point but, that did not seem to deter Italeri from producing a pair of Stirling kits. However, I think you may be right anyway. Not because of the lack of items mentioned but rather because Airfix may not wish to duplicate the subject. As I already have one of each of the Italeri kits I have no interest in an Airfix kit of same. My own personal preference would be for a new B-24 / B-29 . I would have included a Heinkel HE-177 but, Revell are reissuing their excellent kit later this year😀

Allan

I think your B-24 & B-29 wish also falls into the He177 catagory Allen. I’m not saying that it’ll never happen, however with fairly good Hasegawa and Academy kits on the market, they fall into the ‘been done before’ bucket IMO

We need a fresh subject that will get the worldwide audience falling over themselves to grab a copy. Plenty have been mentioned so far I think!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cough C-130 HERCULES cough

A new tool would appeal to world wide sales, i would certainly expect with say an H model kitted it would sell very well as from that alot of different variants and operators could be produced

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Armadillos said:

Cough C-130 HERCULES cough

A new tool would appeal to world wide sales, i would certainly expect with say an H model kitted it would sell very well as from that alot of different variants and operators could be produced

Now that’s an excellent example of what I’m taking about, a subject that will appeal to many modellers of many nations. The Harvard / Texan family also comes to mind. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2