Airfix 2019

jenko

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Trumpeter might especially as they've already done the T45 destroyers and T23 frigates

To  paraphrase a famous movie line, "Trumpeter kits are like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

To  paraphrase a famous movie line, "Trumpeter kits are like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get."

Or as they say in Star Trek...……………………….

It's modelling Jim ...but not as we know it...……………….

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have long held the view that Airfix are in a prime position to re-invigorate their ship line, given their proximity to and contacts within the RN.

After dipping their toes into 1/350 scale there's now a great opportunity to get back into ships, starting with the QE carriers. After all, didn't they commission Dave Coventry to build a 1/350 kit and present it to the ship's company? Here

I think if they're going to do it though, they need to have both a 1/700 scale kit and a 1/350 of her and her sister. The 1/700 scale kit would generate the sales to make it profitable (it's big at 1/700, 40cm, so this is where most sales will be) while the 1/350 kit would be the, ahem, "flagship" model, allowing Airfix to bring back the T45 and Trafalgar, and also allow it to bring in other modern RN ships as well, as they come online: the Type 26 and 31 and also the batch 2 River class.

1/350 also allows nutters like me to continue to exclusively build in 1/350, and yes I do have the type 45 already.

Focusing on the modern RN fleet allows Airfix to have this niche almost all to itself.

Funds permitting of course 🙄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trickydicky210 said:

I have an inkling that Airfix might reveal something new in the workbench today 😎

I couldve wrong of course and often am, but hope not

Rich

I hope you're right too.

Regarding RN Ships the problem is attracting the casual buyer. There are a lot more chances to see the real thing with aircraft and vehicles, events which often have traders selling kits so punters are entertained for an extra few hours at home and have a reminder of the day. 1/350 seems to be the future at the moment for ships and boats and there are plenty of kits out there already. I think a nice big carrier with separate 1/350 aircraft would be a good way to go. Why separate aircraft? British aircraft do land on other ships too (and vice-versa).

I like the Yugoslav markings for the 109E.

Makes a nice contrast with the other two 'done to death' schemes - Pips Priller and Hardy Kruger! Again!

Ian

3 minutes ago, IanC said:

I like the Yugoslav markings for the 109E.

Makes a nice contrast with the other two 'done to death' schemes - Pips Priller and Hardy Kruger! Again!

Ian

Any chance of a 1/72 Cessna 310 then you could have a Hardy Kruger Dogfight Double.... ;) name the movie...

1 minute ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Any chance of a 1/72 Cessna 310 then you could have a Hardy Kruger Dogfight Double.... ;) name the movie...

Ha! You've got me there... And it's too hot to Google...

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 12:47 AM, RussellE said:

I have long held the view that Airfix are in a prime position to re-invigorate their ship line, given their proximity to and contacts within the RN.

Can you imagine trying to LIDAR the Queen Elizabeth?

Can you imagine trying to LIDAR the Queen Elizabeth?

That's what Airfix are doing and why you wont see a kit until 2025

(We do it for work and it takes a week to scan one compartment on a ship)

• Haha 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:45, jenko said:

When Hornby used to have their "Warehouse"  sales you could see what was not selling well as there were piles of certain kits at very silly prices. Illustrious was one of those. So were a lot of the "old" 1/24 range.

Dick 

I bought one in one of their Black Friday sales - £15 IIRC.  I think the problem with using Lusty as the example is that to my mind it fails on both counts of being a successful kit.  On the one hand it is too expensive for little Johnny or Aunty Doris but is fairly inaccurate and a bit of a dog for those of us who can afford one.  The only reason I bought one was to convert to ARK ROYAL as I served in her when she first came out of the builders and having seen examples of it made up I know I will have my work cut out to make it look right even with the extensive "plastification" needed to make it look like the last of the 3.

I do think that Airfix are missing a trick by turning their back on maritime.  There are literally hundreds of different classes of ship that have not been kitted in plastic and even more that are only obtainable in ultra expensive resin.  However, in recognition that more people tend towards aircraft and military than maritime, for it to work, the key is quality. 

• Like 1

Over the years Airfix have made. Kits of pretty much every modelling subject genre in a wide variety of scales.  What the current range represents is a distillation of the sales experience of all of that history. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

That's what Airfix are doing and why you wont see a kit until 2025

(We do it for work and it takes a week to scan one compartment on a ship)

Except you wouldn't. (LIDAR the hull that is). You'd get the plans (CAD) of the outer hull shape from the MoD, (with their permission of course).

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I bought one in one of their Black Friday sales - £15 IIRC.  I think the problem with using Lusty as the example is that to my mind it fails on both counts of being a successful kit.  On the one hand it is too expensive for little Johnny or Aunty Doris but is fairly inaccurate and a bit of a dog for those of us who can afford one.  The only reason I bought one was to convert to ARK ROYAL as I served in her when she first came out of the builders and having seen examples of it made up I know I will have my work cut out to make it look right even with the extensive "plastification" needed to make it look like the last of the 3.

I do think that Airfix are missing a trick by turning their back on maritime.  There are literally hundreds of different classes of ship that have not been kitted in plastic and even more that are only obtainable in ultra expensive resin.  However, in recognition that more people tend towards aircraft and military than maritime, for it to work, the key is quality. 

And the correct subject choice: Needs to be something recognizable and in demand!  most of those have been done already, that's why Airfix need a niche: Modern RN?

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes it's a shame really, but using myself and my mates circa 1975 as a focus group ships were never as popular. We liked planes and tanks most. I had one or two of the WW2 ships but they were just a bit too boring (although HMS Iron Duke had occasional deployments in my bath...).

Has anything really changed?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Airfix is in the business to make money, with the development costs of say the QE in 1/350th they would need first run sales of at least 10,000 at least £100 to make it worthwhile , would you be willing to invest what is needed on that  or on 3-4 smaller models that would be guaranteed sellers ? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

Airfix is in the business to make money, with the development costs of say the QE in 1/350th they would need first run sales of at least 10,000 at least £100 to make it worthwhile , would you be willing to invest what is needed on that  or on 3-4 smaller models that would be guaranteed sellers ? 

And how would their bank react?  Not mentioned is the timescale, but probably 3-4 years?

5 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes it's a shame really, but using myself and my mates circa 1975 as a focus group ships were never as popular. We liked planes and tanks most. I had one or two of the WW2 ships but they were just a bit too boring (although HMS Iron Duke had occasional deployments in my bath...).

Has anything really changed?

HMS Warspite, HMS Hood, and the Bismarck were also good for bathtub operations. I didn't ballast my ship models so most of the rest of my Airfix Navy just capsized and sank.

• Haha 2

I wish for an 1/72 Scimitar but I would like an new F-86D or K.  An new and accurate P-51B/C in 1/72 would go as well. And what about an new F-84 Thunderstreak? Will we wait long for an new Hawker Tempest or Sea Fury in 1/72?

Cheers / André

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

I wish for an 1/72 Scimitar but I would like an new F-86D or K.  An new and accurate P-51B/C in 1/72 would go as well. And what about an new F-84 Thunderstreak? Will we wait long for an new Hawker Tempest or Sea Fury in 1/72?

Cheers / André

I would happily forego the Supermarine Scimitar Fat Knacker and could do with a P-51B/C but would love an Tempest, Sea Fury, F-84F and an affordable F-86D/K

Edited by Wez