Airfix 2019

jenko

1 minute ago, Andre B said:

Yes,

And the same logic says that Airfix should continue giving out DD Gift sets in 1/72 instead of making another big 1/24 kit... ;)

I suppose it all depends on what returns the better margin and profit? Something nobody on here knows...

1 minute ago, snowen250 said:

I suppose it all depends on what returns the better margin and profit? Something nobody on here knows...

No...

But counting how many giftset Airfix actually has there must be some marginal and profit in them compared to other kits.

So an new kit that also could be made for an interesting DD and/or gift set probably has an better chanse...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, Andre B said:

Two twin engined kits in 1/72 that probably would make good interest är the Ford Trimotor and HP Hampden. Both are old classic Airfix kits.

Airfix had remade the Beufighter, the Blenheim, the Whitney and the Wellington. It must soon be time for an new Hampden  Mosquito...

Cheers / André

FIFY :P

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 3:08 AM, MikeR said:

I think we probably will get a Hampden at some point but the question would be when?

I'd like to see some of the following (all in 1/72 of course!):

WW2

Consolidated B-24 - as above and it goes with the B-17G/P-51D 8th Air Force lineup.

Post War/Cold war

Mirage IIICJ - replaces the old one.

Mike.

There should be quite a strong case for either of these.

B-24s are fairly thin on the ground and Haseduard kits are selling for silly $$$. Plus there's quite a few variants including RAF to keep the tooling going. And the B-17 seems to be proving popular.

As for the Mirage III - hard to obtain in 1/72, and an almost endless variety of colour schemes. Should be a shoe-in.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2018 at 10:23 PM, fightersweep said:

I wouldn't complain at a new tool 1/24 Spitfire Mk Ia. I've got 13 of the original kit in the stash, so a load more won't hurt. I just can't help thinking that if Airfix did do a new tool 1/24 Spit, that they would go for a Mk IX. 

Personally, I would love a new Mk Ia or Mk XIV. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I tend to agree. Mk.1a might be old, but it has been done (as has the Mk.V), whereas there's no Mk.IX in 1/24. Plus the 9 covers a lot more countries and options that should result in more sales.

Of course, I wouldn't write off a Mk.VIII version for similar reasons either.

28 minutes ago, Scott_ said:

I tend to agree. Mk.1a might be old, but it has been done (as has the Mk.V), whereas there's no Mk.IX in 1/24. Plus the 9 covers a lot more countries and options that should result in more sales.

I like the idea of a Mk IX too for all the reasons stated. It would also leave the door open for possible resin conversions sets, such as a Mk XVI low back or even a Mk XIV. I won't hold my breath though as any aftermarket for 1/24 is very thin on the ground. Still, not too much of a problem as 1/24 is a very nice scale to scratch build in!

In autumn lineup is prepared a B R I T I S H Turret nosed (J-version) Liberator from Eduard (as Coastal Command plane ) - Riders on the Sky ´45. (Same new tool parts as have previous glass nosed version… How many People bought another, relative boring R.A.F. Liberator from Airfix ? i supposed a chinese Trumpeter/Hobby Boss They maybe released a down-scaled Liberator in future…. Airfix is British company and may be released a "home" aircraft. Especially in "quarter scale". Yup, an Liberator, Boeing, or Lancaster/Halifax in quarter scale… or NT Vulcan… But in Airfix is few a strange decision in "small scale line" - why don´t released a metal wing Hurricane Mk. I (And new tool Mk. IIC - their decade old mould is horrible, with trenches….)  or cannon Hurri in 1/48 ? Vulcan (1/72), Bulldog & Fury (or Hart) bi-plane, quarter scale British bombers, maybe a new tool Mossie (They have a data from their "car scale" kit, no ?). Or Curtiss C-46 "Commando" (1/72&1/48) - soooo beautiful plane, flying in many liveries and camos, and don´t exist as modern injected kit…. 

22 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

If Airfix "should continue giving out DD Gift sets in 1/72" they wont make any profit

I thought you'd announced some pages back that the Rumourmonger section was not a place to discuss'“Business Model”, Sales Performance, comparison of Airfix in the market place and general comments on how Airfix should run their business.'?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ratch said:

I think the next DfD should be Oliver Cromwell & Charles I (1/12)

Would not even require a tooling investment...

How about Kane vs. Kanté? More livery options than the a.m. ...

Edited by tempestfan

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, AlCZ said:

Or Curtiss C-46 "Commando" (1/72&1/48) - soooo beautiful plane, flying in many liveries and camos, and don´t exist as modern injected kit…. 

While not exactly modern, Williams Bros released a very nice C-46 Commando in the late 70s. It can still be obtained quite readily second hand. In addition, there is a modern injected kit available but, unfortunately it is in 1/144 scale https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Platz-MODEL-PD-22-1-144-Curtiss-C-46ECM-Commando-Kit/292535058682?hash=item441c72c0fa:g:N0YAAOSwevlZ-FAE

Allan

ps - I do agree that a new 1/72 kit would be great.

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

While not exactly modern, Williams Bros released a very nice C-46 Commando in the late 70s.

Cos its an absolute sod to build ? :) To be fair it comes up ok but needs an awful lot of work to eliminate seams, mismatches and more and at £25 it aint cheap. I'm all in favour of short run, but the damn thing nearly killed me - four months it took me to complete, the circle of modelling mojo lost, rehab, drinking, modelling mojo regained, etc etc! :)

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Cos its an absolute sod to build ? :) To be fair it comes up ok but needs an awful lot of work to eliminate seams, mismatches and more and at £25 it aint cheap. I'm all in favour of short run, but the damn thing nearly killed me - four months it took me to complete, the circle of modelling mojo lost, rehab, drinking, modelling mojo regained, etc etc! :)

Are you sure we are talking about the same kit??:lol:. I had relatively few problems with my  build. Quite enjoyed it actually. Took about three weeks start to finish Funny how the same kit can be so different (if you get my meaning). I don't reckon £25 is excessive. Maybe for the 1/144 kit but, I doubt very much if you would get a 1/72 C-46 kit new tooled for much less than about £30.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I doubt very much if you would get a 1/72 C-46 kit new tooled for much less than about £30.

This seems like something Special Hobby might tackle eventually. They've done the DC-2 and B-18, and eventually we will see their Sunderland, so it would be well within their moulding capabilities. however, the price might end up being quite a bit higher than £30.

Well of course it’s entirely possible I’m a crap modeller. It all went wrong after Matchbox shut down you know. Mine was an S&M repop and was a sod to build. Mind you replacing the canopy with a vacform helped lengthen it- came out ok in the end though. Am Meng Mustanging presently then I shall Jetstream and Hart and then there’s the two Airfix Wimpey diorama... wanders off, mumbling again ...ooh doughnuts...

TY

• Haha 3

On 7/11/2018 at 10:09 AM, AlCZ said:

But in Airfix is few a strange decision in "small scale line" - why don´t released a metal wing Hurricane Mk. I (And new tool Mk. IIC - their decade old mould is horrible, with trenches….)  

As someone on these forums said, and it makes a lot of sense - it's probably that Airfix feel they have 'done' the Hurricane in 1/72. They'll bring out new boxings with different decals maybe, but that's it. They won't go to the effort of creating a new mould for a slightly different version when the mainstream audience wouldn't know the difference anyway. 

I really hope that's NOT the case as I'd love to see the later versions done. But I can't help thinking it'll be a long time before they re-visit the Hurri in this scale.

Ian, I agree with you in that I hope that this isn't the case, however surely if Airfix was to adopt this 'generic' ploy why would they choose the rag-wing over the metal wing Hurricane? I would say there's more options to re-box and re-decal a late Mk.1 so kitting an early version (only) would seem a little short sighted. 

I hold a little more hope here and although I don't see a Hurricane Mk.IIc or Spitfire IX any time soon (due to these being re-tooled within the last 10 years) I'm sure that 1/72 metal Hurricanes and Spitfire Vb/Vc's are bound to grace the LHS in a few years from now. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Their strategy has evolved somewhat. More recent releases have seen different versions incorporated into the design. The new design team were still on a learning curve when the early mk I came out.

I wouldn’t bet against them replacing any of the toolings prior to the current regime, they just have to make the business case.

1 hour ago, IanC said:

As someone on these forums said, and it makes a lot of sense - it's probably that Airfix feel they have 'done' the Hurricane in 1/72. They'll bring out new boxings with different decals maybe, but that's it. They won't go to the effort of creating a new mould for a slightly different version when the mainstream audience wouldn't know the difference anyway. 

I really hope that's NOT the case as I'd love to see the later versions done. But I can't help thinking it'll be a long time before they re-visit the Hurri in this scale.

Drifting off the thread again!  Have to say I agree entirely and you've exactly summed up the 'Airfix mind'.  Likewise we won't see a P-51B or Spitfire XlV either.

Remember too, not everybody wants WWll fighters!  Many would be glad, instead,  to see a 2-stage Mosquito, Beaufort, (Sea)Venom, Buccaneer, Halifax, Hampden (which must surely come, though not so soon after the Wellington) and a host of others whether new to the Airfix range, retool of an old mould, or a scale down.  A 1/72 Sea Fury would surely outsell a Tin Wing Hurricane and make a fine 'Dogfight Double with the MiG 15 too!

Any one the above could be in the 2019 releases (back on thread!).  However (often seemingly forgotten) is that for every subject chosen others must be rejected. Very many be called, very few chosen.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Albeback52 said:

While not exactly modern, Williams Bros released a very nice C-46 Commando in the late 70s. It can still be obtained quite readily second hand. In addition, there is a modern injected kit available but, unfortunately it is in 1/144 scale https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Platz-MODEL-PD-22-1-144-Curtiss-C-46ECM-Commando-Kit/292535058682?hash=item441c72c0fa:g:N0YAAOSwevlZ-FAE

Allan

ps - I do agree that a new 1/72 kit would be great.

S&M Models currently have the Williams C-46 available in their range.