Airfix 2019

jenko

19 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Next ones the third anniversary edition (and described as very special) perhaps we may get something revealed in two weeks time 

Probably a 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh yeah, the one we already known about :(

Yeah, that would be a bit anti-climatic. On the other hand, we've been waiting for a good 1/48 Mk.XIV forever and it will be nice to finally put the badly shaped Academy kit and the worse Hobbycraft kits out of their misery. The Airfix Mk.I/II/V is so nicely shaped that I would not expect any problems in that department from a new release.

Of course, it could be something else!

30 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

On the other hand, we've been waiting for a good 1/48 Mk.XIV forever

Likewise a 1/72nd one

• Like 4

I think that trying to pick Airfix's next 1/24 scale model is subject to all sorts of problems. Although they have been all WWII birds so far, I suppose that could change. If the tough economic climate continues I would expect to see a bomber Mosquito as it would only require modification of an existing kit, and would presumably be a cost effective way of keeping the range alive. If it is to be a completely new model, then that is much harder to fathom since they do not really go for obvious big sellers. The Typhoons are a case in point here as I would consider them a very left of field choice. If Airfix moved into the pre WWII era with a Tiger Moth or similar at least they would be able to keep the retail price down. If not then expect the unexpected.

I would like to see a Camel, Tiger, Gladiator, Hart (lots of variations), but who knows which way they will go, and I doubt we will know for a couple of years at least. I so very nearly got a Typhoon, because it looked like an amazing model, it's just not an aircraft I was that interested in.

Hears hoping for some earlyish news.

Steve

11 minutes ago, bradleygolding said:

Although they have been all WWII birds so far,

Not forgetting the Harrier / Sea Harrier Steve...😉

Rich

Edited by RichG

Agreed. I can imagine that deciding on a new 1/24 project must be a daunting task. We all have our pet wants, mine being a Spitfire XIVe low back...my all time favourite warbird.

But, there are so many other types I would love to see in the "Superkits" scale that may or may not sell in massive quantities. Tiger Moth, Hawker Demon, Hawker Fury, Chipmunk, Sea Fury, Dh Hornet, Gladiator, or even replacements for the Me-109E or Spitfire Mk Ia. Jets would seriously have me scratching my head. Lightning? Meteor? Vampire? Hawk? I really wouldn't know where to start on the pointy, noisy stuff.

Have to also agree that the bomber variant Mosquito would be a good choice at some point. It's the version I've been waiting for.

Never say never though. I would never have put money on seeing a 1/24 Ju 87A on the shelves. Just ordered mine!

Steve 

Edited by fightersweep

6 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

If the tough economic climate continues I would expect to see a bomber Mosquito as it would only require modification of an existing kit, and would presumably be a cost effective way of keeping the range alive.

Airfix has consistently said they aren't going to revise or rework existing tooling, especially if it was produced before their current design process was implemented. This would include the 1/24 Mosquito. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I had thought that the Mosquito kit included some bomber specific parts already. I know that there are alternate wingtips that aren't used on any of the kit marking options. Perhaps there was a plan to mould bomber and FB versions but the budget didn't allow the bomber parts to be completed. Certainly, it would have made sense at the time to do both. On the other hand, the later 1/24 Typhoon kit represents a fairly massive improvement in kit design and implementation over the Mosquito so you can see why Airfix might be reluctant to create new parts for it to make a different variant. 

On 7/5/2018 at 6:49 PM, VMA131Marine said:

No way Airfix gets into the MiG-21 market. And definitely not with such a specific variant. How hard would it be to convert the likely Eduard PF from which the FL was derived?

Well, that was a pure wish list suggestion! Airfix have done a MiG-21F-13 in the past so they do have form with the type. As for the difference between an FL and a PF, the main visual one is the fin - the FL has a broad chord one like the PFM whilst the PF has the narrow chord one. I can't see Eduard bundling both spine/fin mouldings in their projected PF kit.

Writing of Dogfight Doubles, one thing that has always puzzled me is why Airfix bundled their old MiG-15 with their Mirage as the MiG-21 would have been more appropriate.:hmmm:

Mike.

23 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Writing of Dogfight Doubles, one thing that has always puzzled me is why Airfix bundled their old MiG-15 with their Mirage as the MiG-21 would have been more appropriate.:hmmm:

I suspect because a Series 3 Dogfight Double contained one Series 2 and one Series 1 kit (eg Mosquito and Me 262, Beaufighter and Bf 109, MiG-21 and Cessna O-2): both the Mirage and the MiG-21 were series 2 kits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

Writing of Dogfight Doubles, one thing that has always puzzled me is why Airfix bundled their old MiG-15 with their Mirage as the MiG-21 would have been more appropriate

I hadn't though about this, but you are correct that the MiG-15 did not participate significantly, if at all, in the 1967 Six-Day-War. But MiG-17s did and I wonder if the DfD was based on the MiG-17 looking superficially similar to the MiG-15. The MiG-15 would not be much of a challenge for a capable pilot in a Mirage III in any case, not that the Airfix box art shows the two dogfighting. More likely it represents the initial phase of the war when Israeli forces destroyed most of Egypt's aircraft on the ground.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t over think the dogfight doubles thing too much.... They were produced to  appeal to kids ( us back then) who were a significant slice of the customer base ‘back in the day’ so it had to meet a price point and look appealing to that demographic. Get stuck together over an afternoon and then recreate the 6 day war or WHY the following morning. Strict historical accuracy is not what they were about that’s just our Middle Aged selves trying to rationalise stuff...

A modern day Dogfight double for adult collectors and enthusiasts would need to have two types that   Historically fought each other in the correct markings with perfect research for the colour schemes.... Even then we’d argue about it on here....

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind to se an dogfight double with an Mirage III and an Mig 21. But it demands two new kits. And there is a political problem as well wich makes it difficult today to do kits from Six Days and/or Yom Kippur war...

One nice possibillity would be  an dogfight double with an Israeli P-51D (series 1) and an Egypt MiG-15 (series 2) from the 1956 Suez Crisis. Both are rather new kits of good quality.

And that would open the door for other kits in 1/72 as the Gloster Meteor, DH Vampire and Hawker Hunter... ...and the Il-28 that also is one of Airfix older kits...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Airfix has consistently said they aren't going to revise or rework existing tooling, especially if it was produced before their current design process was implemented. This would include the 1/24 Mosquito. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I had thought that the Mosquito kit included some bomber specific parts already. I know that there are alternate wingtips that aren't used on any of the kit marking options. Perhaps there was a plan to mould bomber and FB versions but the budget didn't allow the bomber parts to be completed. Certainly, it would have made sense at the time to do both. On the other hand, the later 1/24 Typhoon kit represents a fairly massive improvement in kit design and implementation over the Mosquito so you can see why Airfix might be reluctant to create new parts for it to make a different variant. 

I'm fairly sure that Airfix used CAD for the Mosquito, I remember all the 3D images that were released before it came out. It may well have been different software I suppose. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Steve

5 hours ago, Andre B said:

One nice possibillity would be  an dogfight double with an Israeli P-51D (series 1) and an Egypt MiG-15 (series 2) from the 1956 Suez Crisis. Both are rather new kits of good quality.

I'm pretty sure that Israeli and Egyptian Spitfire IXs tangled at some point as well.

5 hours ago, Andre B said:

wouldn't mind to se an dogfight double with an Mirage III and an Mig 21.

Is there a good, modern kit of the Mirage III in 1/72? I think the newest one I have is the limited run AML kit and I guess there are the new High Planes kits as well. Still it seems like a type that should be revisited.

44 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm pretty sure that Israeli and Egyptian Spitfire IXs tangled at some point as well.

They did, as did Egyptian and RAF Spitfire XVIIIs, and (infamously) Israeli Spitfire IXs against RAF Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest VIs, ostensibly accidentally.

Airfix have visited the Israeli and Egyptian Spitfire thing there was a club special Spitfire is boxing of an Israeli and Egyptian Aircraft in 1/48 IIRC....

Im not sure what’s happened to the Airfix club kits of late... gone the way of the dodo????

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Next ones the third anniversary edition (and described as very special) perhaps we may get something revealed in two weeks time 

And everyone will be SOOOOO disappointed when the "big  announcement" they are obviously hoping for  turns out to be? Well, nothing really!! Not even yet another Spitfire - far less a Mk XIV !!:tease::lol:

Allan

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

And everyone will be SOOOOO disappointed when the "big  announcement" they are obviously hoping for  turns out to be? Allan

I want a 1/48 Balliol. I’m disappointed every year😢

Trevor

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Is there a good, modern kit of the Mirage III in 1/72? I think the newest one I have is the limited run AML kit and I guess there are the new High Planes kits as well. Still it seems like a type that should be revisited.

There isn't a modern, mainstream Mirage III/5, the closest are the High Planes/PJ kits but they're relatively expensive and require a certain amount of effort to make (which reminds me, I still have to finish my M5F), certainly a kit from a mainstream manufacturer would be easier to make.

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Not even yet another Spitfire - far less a Mk XIV !!

:tease:

Now if anyone from Airfix is reading this thread, please do not take the views of Allan aka Albeback52 as representative, the rest of the world wants a Spitfire XIV, 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/24th scales please.

• Haha 2