Airfix 2019

jenko

2019 should be the time for a new 1/24 kit as it was previously stated by Airfix that it would be every 5 years. (As the original Typhoon was released in 2014 – Although it could be 5 years from the Car Door release)

As much as I would love to see something completely new in 1/24, I suspect a new spitfire would be well received. (Mark/version TBD)

The spitfire is not in the current catalogue and I cant ever recall Airfix not having a Mk1 or 5 available, although either could be reissued under the "Nostalgic kits" banner.

If its not going to be a spitfire (if a 1/24 kit at all) – then I hope it’s a Gladiator, Tiger Moth, Meteor or Westland Wasp

Cheers Rich

6 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

2019 should be the time for a new 1/24 kit as it was previously stated by Airfix that it would be every 5 years. (As the original Typhoon was released in 2014 – Although it could be 5 years from the Car Door release)

As much as I would love to see something completely new in 1/24, I suspect a new spitfire would be well received. (Mark/version TBD)

The spitfire is not in the current catalogue and I cant ever recall Airfix not having a Mk1 or 5 available, although either could be reissued under the "Nostalgic kits" banner.

If its not going to be a spitfire (if a 1/24 kit at all) – then I hope it’s a Gladiator, Tiger Moth, Meteor or Westland Wasp

Cheers Rich

I don't think we will see any 1/24 subjects for quite a while yet.  If Airfix ever did say there would be one every 5 years, it would have been before the current financial 'situation'.  Such kits take 3-5 years to tool and I suspect that HH want to show 'signs of recovery' sooner than that.

2018 has largely been 'reissues' under whatever name and can't surely go on for much longer.  I know from 'remarks' that some subjects were put on hold and surely now they must be trying to release as many truly new subjects as possible in 2019.

July, I'm told, is the start of HH's financial year though when we get to hear of what 2019 has in store for us is anybody's guess.  That said, supposing 4 new subjects are planned for 2019 and they are to be announced 9-12 months ahead (like the Wellington and Hunter) then we ought to be hearing of something truly new quite soon.  One can but hope....

Honestly!! Forget the Scruggs Wundaplane! The market is saturated with them already!!:sleeping:. Why has nobody mentioned the Fairley Fanciful?? There must be a market for this, especially if Airfix include a bag of rivets for those so minded to count. Other than that , I will be happy if they ;

1) Avoid 1/24 altogether

2) Have at least one year totally free of Spitfires in any size,shape or form:tease:

3)Avoid any WWII subject with less 2 engines

4)Give us a brand new Concorde !!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two twin engined kits in 1/72 that probably would make good interest är the Ford Trimotor and HP Hampden. Both are old classic Airfix kits.

Airfix had remade the Beufighter, the Blenheim, the Whitney and the Wellington. It must soon be time for an new Hampden...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

I think we probably will get a Hampden at some point but the question would be when?

I'd like to see some of the following (all in 1/72 of course!):

WW2

Bristol Beaufort - preferably with the option for an Aussie built Mk VIII.

Junkers Ju 88A-1 - like the metal wing Hurricane Mk I, goes with Airfix's BoB range.

Aichi D3A "Val" - they've done the Zero and Kate already and it would replace their old one.

Consolidated Catalina - again, would replace the old one.

Consolidated B-24 - as above and it goes with the B-17G/P-51D 8th Air Force lineup.

Vultee Vengeance - fits the slightly left of field tendency!

Supermarine Walrus - scale it down!

Post War/Cold war

Mirage IIICJ - replaces the old one.

MiG-21FL - Eduard have said they aren't likely to do this variant and you kinda need this for a proper Six-Day War Dogfight Double with the Mirage!

A new Lynx family - the HobbyBoss ones are OK, but we could do with decent line up including the Army variants.

Puma/Super Puma family - another one to replace an old tool.

Westland Wasp, Scout and Wessex - Falklands.

Aérospatiale Gazelle - Falklands.

Mike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andre B said:

Two twin engined kits in 1/72 that probably would make good interest är the Ford Trimotor ...

Airfix had remade the Beufighter, the Blenheim, the Whitney and the Wellington. It must soon be time for an new Hampden...

Cheers / André

Isn’t a twin engined Trimotor something of a paradoxon?

Airfix never had a Whitney (Houston ?), let alone a Whitley. However you are right that I‘d never have them expected to do a Whitley, so a Hampden may not be as outlandish as it seems.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Supermarine Walrus - scale it down!

Post War/Cold war

Mirage IIICJ - replaces the old one.

Downscaling the Walrus would be just as logical as doing the same with the Sea Fury.

Still, a Walrus is no Venom however hard you look at it.

New tool Mirage IIIC would be welcome...

• Like 4

I’ve just had a thought (goes to sit down). A Lysander (probably 1:72)

Why?

It replaces an old mold 

It looks quirky (casual buyer and think of the dramatic SOE artwork on the box)

Plenty to run a ruler over

There are flyers (so again the air show casual buyer will be tempted?)

It was used by 2 Squadron (think of all the recent releases which have that as an option)

QED

Trevor 

• Like 3

On 04/07/2018 at 13:17, Truro Model Builder said:

Don't be silly. Everyone knows the Scruggs Wunderplane was fabric covered and didn't feature rivets

And anyway, no one would by it.  For huge sales it really needs to be a Farley Fruitbat.

5 hours ago, Andre B said:

Two twin engined kits in 1/72 that probably would make good interest är the Ford Trimotor and HP Hampden. Both are old classic Airfix kits.

Would that be a Trimotor with an engine out then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about a Guy Gibson VC gift set?

if memory serves after reading enemy coast ahead some years ago it could contain a Beaufighter, Hampden, Lanc and Mossie

36 minutes ago, MikeR said:

MiG-21FL - Eduard have said they aren't likely to do this variant and you kinda need this for a proper Six-Day War Dogfight Double with the Mirage!

No way Airfix gets into the MiG-21 market. And definitely not with such a specific variant. How hard would it be to convert the likely Eduard PF from which the FL was derived?

4 minutes ago, fids said:

How about a Guy Gibson VC gift set?

if memory serves after reading enemy coast ahead some years ago it could contain a Beaufighter, Hampden, Lanc and Mossie

Gibson flew Blenheim night fighters and Manchesters on operations as well.

7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

But then it's not a Trimotor then, is it!

But if three were flying in formation

I know, I know........

Trevor

• Haha 2

Does anyone have an idea if they'll start to reveal the highlight of the 2019 program in one of the July workbenches like they did with the Wimpy last year ?

Sorry for the thread drift, haha

7 minutes ago, occa said:

Does anyone have an idea if they'll start to reveal the highlight of the 2019 program in one of the July workbenches like they did with the Wimpy last year ?

Sorry for the thread drift, haha

They actually announced the wimpy earlier in June, i remember specifically as that particular Friday was my birthday 

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

A new Lynx family - the HobbyBoss ones are OK, but we could do with decent line up including the Army variants.

Well if we're going to have a new Lynx, how about a fully tooled up HAS 3 GMS in 1/24 scale with all of the Gulf modifications - Yellow Veil, ALQ157, HMP, M130, Sandpiper.  I can even let them have my noseart royalty free 😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

They actually announced the wimpy earlier in June, i remember specifically as that particular Friday was my birthday 

🎂

Trevor

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

You're right, it was on 23.06.2018.

I am afraid this year we'll have to wait til Telford, or maybe there isn't any big announcement scheduled even.

Being for warned can prevent false hopes ....

If I recall correctly the Wimpy was announced in an anniversary (50th?) issue of the Workbench

I am sure we will see at least 1 new kit in the workbench this year, but don't expect any other announcements until late in the year or early January, clearly Airfix are changing the way they announce new kits.

But of course last year could have been a blip, we will just have to wait and see.

ATB

Rich

17 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ve just had a thought (goes to sit down). A Lysander (probably 1:72)

Why?

It replaces an old mold 

It looks quirky (casual buyer and think of the dramatic SOE artwork on the box)

Plenty to run a ruler over

There are flyers (so again the air show casual buyer will be tempted?)

It was used by 2 Squadron (think of all the recent releases which have that as an option)

QED

Trevor 

If Airfix was to make one 1/24 would be the way to go as,

It would not be too large

Would not need to many parts (compared to other 1/24 scale kits)

Large enough to in corporate detail

Cost wise could come in the £50-80 bracket

Robert