Airfix 2019

jenko

2 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Guys, come on this is the Rumourmonger section where I expect to hear what Airfix might be providing us with next year, not “Business Model”, Sales Performance, comparison of Airfix in the market place and general comments on how Airfix should run their business. If you want to discuss that, please set up a new discussion in the Chat or other suitable area and keep this to what we would like to see or hope Airfix produce in the coming future.

Please get this back on track

Thanks Rich

I'll play then, all new tools

1/48 Vampire FB.5/9 after all, they're giving us a shiny new 1/48th Hunter to compete with the Academy kit so why not a Vampire to compete with the Trumpeter travesty, also it comes in more colour schemes than you can shake a big stick at so oodles of sales opportunities.

1/72 scale...

Twin stage Mossie

Harvard/Texan with long/short canopy options (see previous comment about colour schemes).

P-47D

Ju-88A-1/5 (again see previous comment about colour schemes)

Firefly V

Jolly interesting stuff - as posted on another thread, back when the 1/24 Tiffie was produced it made a huge impact on profits at Airfix - sufficient to be mentioned in the press - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11577673/Hornby-back-in-profit-for-first-time-since-Olympic-debacle.html

I cant find the other article on it but IIRC they expected to sell 4000 kits and actually sold double that.

With the new CEO I think they will inevitably adopt more of the Oxford 'model' no pun intended. Ie Mustang released in many schemes but in smaller numbers. Equally modified moulds, extra parts etc where 80% of a kit remains the same the extra 20% giving you a MK2A Fairey Fruitbat is smart business sense if your RRP is the same for the MK2A as the MK1, hoping as you would that the MK1 is the most popular version and therefore sells more (and you produce more)

MK1 - 4000 units   MK2A 2000 units  etc - because the buyers of the MK1 just want a Fairey Fruitbat, the buyers of a MK2A want a MK2A Fairey Fruitbat in Yemeni Air Force Markings.... conversely if your MK1 doesnt sell well then there would be no reason to produce, or do a big run of, the MK2A

My Dad worked in the toy industry for 40 years. Manufacturing costs etc he used to cite at 10% of RRP. You add the tax, distribution etc on top of that. So for the series 1 kits Airfix probably make a couple of quid PROFIT by the time the taxes are paid, the wholesaler and the end retailer has taken their cut.

But they may well sell 100,000 series one kits a year. Now on a Tiffie at an RRP of £99.99 they probably make £30 PROFIT in the same example but sold 10,000...

Equally the catalogue has been well pruned to core sellers.... even from a couple of years ago - viz no Vixen, Valiant etc to the point where the demand builds up again.....smart move - supply and demand. Revell have been doing this for years - with an item appearing for one year then vanishing, even if a repop from Hasegawa or whatever...then they move on.

So in sum - high volume can combat low profit percentage whereas high profit percentage can combat low volume.

I wouldnt write off more Airfix biggies  TBH.

The Airfix Classics range will be appearing at IWM, National Trust Houses, Military Museums, those godawful catalogues of tat you get through the post etc... and lots will be bought for little johnny by grandma. 

The new Lincoln will be bought by enfoozeeasts....

TT

4 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Guys, come on this is the Rumourmonger section where I expect to hear what Airfix might be providing us with next year, not “Business Model”, Sales Performance, comparison of Airfix in the market place and general comments on how Airfix should run their business. If you want to discuss that, please set up a new discussion in the Chat or other suitable area and keep this to what we would like to see or hope Airfix produce in the coming future.

Please get this back on track

Thanks Rich

But "what Airfix might be providing us with next year" is going to be dictated by what its board judges is likely to net them a profit, so the company's business model is entirely relevant to answering the exam question. If we choose to ignore that, then all we're doing is the equivalent of writing a letter to Santa:  "I want a Blackburn Iris in 1/53.5 scale". OK, but it's not going to happen.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

"I want a Blackburn Iris in 1/53.5 scale". OK, but it's not going to happen.

Personally I would find that request more interesting than repeated posts discussing financial plans of which none of us really has any knowledge... :)

Anyway as eny fule no it has to be in 1/72 :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

But "what Airfix might be providing us with next year" is going to be dictated by what its board judges is likely to net them a profit, so the company's business model is entirely relevant to answering the exam question. If we choose to ignore that, then all we're doing is the equivalent of writing a letter to Santa:  "I want a Blackburn Iris in 1/53.5 scale". OK, but it's not going to happen.

Just when I thought it was save to come back to the thread.......

This is Rumourmonger, it is a forum where unsubstantiated rubbish and bizarre ideas for future releases rub shoulders with some reasonable & hopeful suggestions for future releases. THE WHOLE THING IS ALL A LETTER TO SANTA, THAT IS THE POINT !!!!! 🙄🎅 The forum is not about what the Airfix business plan is, should be or failure to meet ones subjective opinion based on unsubstantiated ideas about how Airfix works, is funded or its expectation.

Besides which the Blackburn Iris would never sell, it was only operated by the Senegalise Police Cadet Force and it is well known that 1/26 is the biggest selling scale in Senegal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

What Airfix releases next year, if anything, depends greatly on their sales performance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Jolly interesting stuff - as posted on another thread, back when the 1/24 Tiffie was produced it made a huge impact on profits at Airfix - sufficient to be mentioned in the press - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11577673/Hornby-back-in-profit-for-first-time-since-Olympic-debacle.html

I cant find the other article on it but IIRC they expected to sell 4000 kits and actually sold double that.

This actually supports what I was saying earlier about Airfix needing to release more large and relatively expensive models. The gross profit and margins are much larger. That does not mean that Airfix has to release a new 1/24th scale kit every year; the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster is long overdue for replacement and I would love to see Airfix take a crack at it, followed up with a range of 1/48 Halifaxes and Stirlings. They should do basic boxings of each and then follow up with a super deluxe version with motorized props, interior and exterior lighting, engine sounds and extra details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWFK10 said:

"I want a Blackburn Iris in 1/53.5 scale". OK, but it's not going to happen.

I guess I'm going to have to go beg Special Hobby for my 1/48 Blackburn R-1 Blackburn (Mk.I, MK.II, and trainer - 2 converted from the Mk.I batch). TBH,  I'm surprised  theat no company other than contrail has taken this on. The aircraft served in the RN for 8 years from 1923 to 1931 which is a near eternity considering the pace of aircraft development at the time.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Stew Dapple said:

Also two different Whitleys, two different B17s and there are strong indications for a Merlin-engined Wellington to follow the Mk,I. I don't know if any of that makes a tin-wing Hurricane more likely but it does suggest that someone at Airfix is well aware of the sales potential of different marks of the same aircraft.

Cheers,

Stew

There will surely be other Mitchell variants, though perhaps not till 2020

13 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

This is Rumourmonger, it is a forum where unsubstantiated rubbish and bizarre ideas for future releases rub shoulders with some reasonable & hopeful suggestions for future releases. THE WHOLE THING IS ALL A LETTER TO SANTA, THAT IS THE POINT !!!!! 🙄🎅 The forum is not about what the Airfix business plan is, should be or failure to meet ones subjective opinion based on unsubstantiated ideas about how Airfix works, is funded or its expectation.

I have it from good authority that Airfix will please us with a 1/12 scale Lancaster next year. And as the management considers it reasonably safe the kit will attract tobacconists, newsagents and the like all over the world to return to selling kits and therefore bring modeling back to a really broad audience, they have decided to place it in Series 2 because the number sold will bring them a handsome profit , even if the single kit makes a loss. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Denford said:

There will surely be other Mitchell variants, though perhaps not till 2020

The B-25C/D kit has some of the engine cowling parts to accomodate the single exhaust stack of the B-25B so bet on a Doolittle Raider edition at some point. The other variants possible are the 75mm gun equipped B-25G and the radar equipped PBJ-1D. I've not seen any evidence in the C/D kit that these are in the works but it would certainly make sense for Airfix to kit the G.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I have it from good authority that Airfix will please us with a 1/12 scale Lancaster next year. And as the management considers it reasonably safe the kit will attract tobacconists, newsagents and the like all over the world to return to selling kits and therefore bring modeling back to a really broad audience, they have decided to place it in Series 2 because the number sold will bring them a handsome profit , even if the single kit makes a loss. 

It actually would not shock me if the next Airfix 1/24 aircraft kit was a Lancaster. Even at a likely price of £300-400 it would sell.

How well would a modern tooled 1/24 Spitfire 1a sell?? If the Typhoon which is relatively a fringe subject in comparison did so well. 

Im sorry if some of my posts have derailed the annual Airfix Wishlist thread.  My heartfelt appplogies. It want my intention to upset the dynamic of folk wanting to predict what Airfix may release. 

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

It actually would not shock me if the next Airfix 1/24 aircraft kit was a Lancaster. Even at a likely price of £300-400 it would sell.

It's the price of the extension to the house that would kill you.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

What Airfix releases next year, if anything, depends greatly on their sales performance. 

What you will get next year was decided on either last year or in 2016, development is well under way with scans/research  done late last year, now what will there be ;)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

It's the price of the extension to the house that would kill you.

No..the cost of the divorce would kill you.

How ever..you could move into the model and tell every one you have just bought a 3 bed detached Lancaster...………….. 🏠🏘️ :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think it is going to be pretty ordinary. I would love to see a 1/72 Lincoln but can't see that happening. Going to be more Spitfires, P-51's and variants on other subjects they have already come out with. 

8 hours ago, jenko said:

No..the cost of the divorce would kill you.

How ever..you could move into the model and tell every one you have just bought a 3 bed detached Lancaster...………….. 🏠🏘️ :facepalm:

That’s why I suggested 1/12... a bunk in each engine nacelle, and the best is you can complete the interior detail very comfortably.

I think I have said it before, I‘d welcome a Venom in both 1/48 and 1/72, it’s long overdue. And I know I am not alone...

Edited by tempestfan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Plasto said:

How well would a modern tooled 1/24 Spitfire 1a sell?? If the Typhoon which is relatively a fringe subject in comparison did so well. 

I think a new 1/24 Spitfire would sell extremely well for Airfix. As much as I would love a new Mk 1a, I suspect that Airfix would choose the Mk IX. Yes, it would be another 1/24 Spitfire, but not a mark kitted by them or anyone else. A popular mark, lots of colour scheme choices and the aftermarket bods could have a field day with conversions (Mk XIV anyone).

I know Trevor Snowden wanted to see this, so it's a kit I would put money on seeing at some point in the future. A new tool 109E in 1/24 would kill my wallet as well. It's taking me years to bash the old kits into shape.

To be honest I do think the big news at Telford this year will be 1/24 scale. Going by past results, think left field and fighter size and you won't be wrong. 

Me 262

Sea Fury

Meteor

Also I can see the 1/48 range being extended by subjects they have done in 1/72.

Dick

Edited by jenko

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

- Can you hear the crickets???

Cheers.. Dave

Another Buddy Holly fan ??

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2