Airfix 2019

jenko

On 06/05/2018 at 08:10, Albeback52 said:

Airfix did actually produce the NF 30 variant in  both 1/72 & 1/48 scale. I believe this has the requisite modified nose. Both however are not easy to come by nowadays. Turn up on eBay from time to time at fairly reasonable prices.

Allan

Allan

Indeed they did - 

JNTCiHmS.jpg

I built this one 9 years ago.  It's th 1/72 kit.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, Albeback52 said:

Airfix did actually produce the NF 30 variant in  both 1/72 & 1/48 scale. I believe this has the requisite modified nose. Both however are not easy to come by nowadays. Turn up on eBay from time to time at fairly reasonable prices.

Allan

Allan

I think it was an NF.XIII or XVII because it was based on the FBVI kit and therefore had single stage Merlins.  I've got one somewhere in a box. 

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Ok! Last time I was at East Fortune, I saw somebody photographing Concorde, Comet 4, Avro Vulcan, Jaguar, Twin Pioneer,MiG -15...................!😂😂😂😂

Allan

Do they have a tin-wing Hurricane I by any chance?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I think it was an NF.XIII or XVII because it was based on the FBVI kit and therefore had single stage Merlins.  I've got one somewhere in a box. 

Sorry, I see someone else has already made that point and that it was, in fact, a mkXIX.  Doh!

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Sorry, I see someone else has already made that point and that it was, in fact, a mkXIX.  Doh!

I think the confusion is that it was boxed as an NF.XIX & J.30, the latter being an export version for Sweden, basically a Mk.XIX with four bladed props.

NF.30, NF.XIII, NF.XIX and Mk.XIX? Is this the same type of Mosquito or is it different types confused with each other?

Was the Swedish J30 one different type again as it has both fourbladed props and the bullnose?

47 minutes ago, Andre B said:

NF.30, NF.XIII, NF.XIX and Mk.XIX? Is this the same type of Mosquito or is it different types confused with each other?

Was the Swedish J30 one different type again as it has both fourbladed props and the bullnose?

No, the NF.XXX had two stage merlins,   and Airfix did this in 1/48th but not 1/72nd.  

the NF.XIX is also the Swedish J.30,  but were fitted with 4 blade props. 

The XIII looks like a XIX,  all 3 listed have the universal bull nose.

see here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito#Night_fighters

looks to be what I remember from my books which are not too hand.

the Airifix 1/48th used their 1979 vintage FB VI kit with new parts,  unfortunately the new bits are a bit clunky, especially the two stage engines,  so a good idea let down by poor execution, they also used the FB VI for a B/PR XVI version.

As the entire FB.VI kit was included in both boxings, this meant that though not listed, with some mix and match you could build things like a B.iX and NF XIII/XVII/XIX....

the base FB VI kit is still very well shaped,  quite possibly still the best shaped 1/48th Mosquito,  as it was based on research for a 1/24th kit that didn't get made in the late 70's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Do they have a tin-wing Hurricane I by any chance?

Sorry, no tin wing Hurricane. They have just been presented with Red Arrows Hawk TI.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-flight/?item_id=

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Sorry, no tin wing Hurricane. They have just been presented with Red Arrows Hawk TI.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-flight/?item_id=

Allan

Is that the last surviving original ‘arrers Hawk that was recently retired?

Trevor

14 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Ok! Last time I was at East Fortune, I saw somebody photographing Concorde, Comet 4, Avro Vulcan, Jaguar, Twin Pioneer,MiG -15...................!😂😂😂😂

Allan

Was it you?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Is that the last surviving original ‘arrers Hawk that was recently retired?

Trevor

Couldn't honestly say but,I guess someone knowledgeable about such things could help!😀

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

No, the NF.XXX had two stage merlins,   and Airfix did this in 1/48th but not 1/72nd.  

the NF.XIX is also the Swedish J.30,  but were fitted with 4 blade props. 

The XIII looks like a XIX,  all 3 listed have the universal bull nose.

see here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito#Night_fighters

looks to be what I remember from my books which are not too hand.

the Airifix 1/48th used their 1979 vintage FB VI kit with new parts,  unfortunately the new bits are a bit clunky, especially the two stage engines,  so a good idea let down by poor execution, they also used the FB VI for a B/PR XVI version.

As the entire FB.VI kit was included in both boxings, this meant that though not listed, with some mix and match you could build things like a B.iX and NF XIII/XVII/XIX....

the base FB VI kit is still very well shaped,  quite possibly still the best shaped 1/48th Mosquito,  as it was based on research for a 1/24th kit that didn't get made in the late 70's.

And just to add to the confusion some NF.XIIIs had the 'Thimble' nose and so looked like the NF.XII although I seem to remember that the XIII had the FB.VI wing, so could carry drop tanks, while the NF.XII was converted from the NF.II which didn't have the pipework.

P.S.  I hope Airfix read this forum.  The interest generated by this Mosquito discussion must indicate a strong need for a new, multi-part, two-stage Merlin, 1/72nd scale new tool Mossie!

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, Albeback52 said:

With all due respect, it surely is just that - coincidence! Are we really getting to a stage now where someone merely photographing aircraft at a museum is going to give rise to fevered speculation about a new kit!

Allan

Back when Airfix released the new tool Me262 they just happened to mention that the 262/Mosquito dogfight double was their top selling doubles kit. 

Well, they have the new 262 now, so a new tool Mossie is starting to make good sense. Plus having made their way through Spitfires, Hurricanes, Hunters, Lancasters and Harriers - it's probably the most famous British aircraft that they have yet to retool in recent memory.

• Like 1

A new Mosquito makes sense

The old mould is worn out and needs replacing.

It is one of the best known British aircraft after the Spitfire and Hurricane.

A Mosquito rebuild is ongoing to bring the aircraft back to the skies of Britain and maybe the rest of Europe - http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk

Documentation is easy with Airfix on good terms with the DH Museum.

Multiple versions are possible, so several releases to follow.

It was used by other nations, making for more decal options and international sales.

Size is reasonable, Airfix seems to like kitting twin engined bombers.

And I still want a Harvard / Texan / T-6 family as well from Airfix.

KE

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

There. Fixed that for you.

Well, a Venom is not what I want. A Scimitar or an new Mustang. But Venom, no. Seen it, built it and...

/André

Ps.

Truro, do you often change other people's messages?

Edited by Andre B

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

Well, a Venom is not what I want. A Scimitar or an new Mustang. But Venom, no. Seen it, built it and...

/André

Ps.

Truro, do you often change other people's messages?

He did not change your message, he quoted and then changed the quote as an attempt at levity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Greg B said:

He did not change your message, he quoted and then changed the quote as an attempt at levity.

He changed my worlds and used my name in an way that isn't ok.

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

either/both a new Westland Lysander or Fairey Battle would:

1. Make me very happy
  2. Separate me from my money

Couldn't agree more...

1/48 of course. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Wow - superhuman powers! Or love at first sight?

Edit - is it time for the Airfix 2020 thread yet?

'Ere Ed,

VERY funny :D but you have to remember that 'English' humour is something we've grow up with, others can find it insulting.

To level the field, how's your Swedish? 'cos I know Andre B has a better command of English than I'll ever have of Swedish.

Just saying..........

Paul

Edit - NO! Like Christmas one day befores early enough!

Edited by PhoenixII
  • Like 3

Jag har varit i Sverige men jag talar inte språket. Svenska människor är väldigt gästvänliga. Jag håller med om att Andre har mycket bra engelska.

The wonders of translation software mean that you can make any language sort of intelligible but I agree that the nuances remain obscure. The Swedes I have met  seemed blessed with a good, if sometimes dark, sense of humour (even for pathologists) and excellent English - a credit to their school system.

• Like 2