Airfix 2019

jenko

On 1/16/2018 at 12:30 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

It probably is from Airfix, however Mel from S & M Models has announced both Wasp & Scout kits in 1/72 & 1/48 as 2018 releases - http://sandmmodels.co.uk/news/

Warning - be careful if doing a Google Image Search for Mel's "company name". If SWMBO is looking over your shoulder you could get a right old rousing! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Looks like a Canberra B.6 is in the offing too. I think Airfix really missed out there. 

15 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks like a Canberra B.6 is in the offing too. I think Airfix really missed out there. 

Agree 100%. 

We’ve now witnessed Airfix’s marketing philosophy of redecalling new tool kits every few years to keep their line-up fresh and the early Canberra (with many foreign operators) falls squarely into this category. 

Now lets hope they don’t miss the boat again and ‘revamp’ a certain other post war export classic! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

A retooled Vulcan with the longer jetpipes.

1/72 Hunter F.1/4/5.

1/72 Argosy (with RAF decals).

1/72 Andover and HS748.

Re-release the Valiant so I can actually afford one!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

I really want to see a new 1/48 Spitfire in 2019, but it will probs be something mundane like a 1/32 Viggen or Draken. 

Unlikely to see 1/32 nd aircraft from Airfix. And I sincerely hope they stay away from the scale and stick with 72nd and 48th.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Unlikely to see 1/32 nd aircraft from Airfix. And I sincerely hope they stay away from the scale and stick with 72nd and 48th.

But they also do 24th don't forget... A big Viggen in splinter camo now i'd buy that for a dollar!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I predict a Sea Fury, Blenheim and Hunter all in 1/48. ( Sorry, is my cynicism showing.)

C'mon guys we're only just into 2018.

Whose grumpy?

I think the Sea Fury WILL make 2018 but I'm with you on the other two for 2019.... :D

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 11:30 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Warning - be careful if doing a Google Image Search for Mel's "company name". If SWMBO is looking over your shoulder you could get a right old rousing!

Ditto for the most obvious way to search for the process of resin moulding in the Czech Republic!

On 1/13/2018 at 6:02 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

There’s a brilliant chapter in Backroom Boys by Francis Spufford about Black Arrow- an absolutely superb book which covers all sorts of things heartily recommended to BMers! 

Yes, read that myself.  A really interesting book and some of it quite cheering. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm probably repeating myself here, but I would like to see, in 1/72, naturally:

Hawker Hart family

Supermarine Spitfire Vc

Junkers Ju 88A-1

Fw 190D-9

Bristol Beaufort

Supermarine Scimitar

de Havilland Mosquito

de Havilland DH 88 Comet

Hawker Hurricane Mk I metal wing (I still think that there's no good Hurricane in 1/72)

as well as the Cold War jets mentioned previously.

This was posted by an individual on the RMWeb Model Railways site today ;

"Hornby has issued a trading update to the Stock Exchange this morning - the financial media will report this as a profits warning. Trading updates are normally issued when the directors become aware of a change, or impact on the business, that will affect their previous statements. The shares fell by 2.7p (11%) on the news. Please remember that Hornby is not just model railways, and that the statement about retail partners might relate to non-railway retail, but it might not..."

The announcement is below:

Trading Update

Hornby Plc, the international hobby products group, provides an update to shareholders on the progress of the new strategy.

Current Trading

As announced on 17 October 2017, the Board has determined that to maximise the value of its brands over the long term, the Group will no longer offer for sale large quantities of stock at a discount. There has been overwhelming support for this change, especially in our largest channel, the independent retailers. However, rebuilding the trust in the pricing architecture takes time and some of our retail partners are taking longer than others to accept the new approach.

As a result of the reduction in discounting and a continuation of late product deliveries in the international segment; the sales performance over the key Christmas trading period was below management expectations.  Both of these factors had an equal impact up on the under performance of the business. 

We now have some visibility into the outcome for the full year and because of the revenue shortfall, the underlying loss after tax is likely to be larger than the board's expectations.

Cost Savings

The new management team have made a significant impact on the ongoing cost base. They have reduced the fixed overheads by £1.7m since joining and the Board believes that there are further procurement efficiencies to come as we reorganise our supply chain towards mutually beneficial partnerships.

Lyndon Davies, Interim Chairman and CEO, commented:

"We remain committed to the strategy that was outlined in the half year results. We are already starting to see evidence of positive momentum in the pre-orders for our new product ranges that were announced at the beginning of the year as well as old retail partners re-engaging following the end of the discount-era.

The design and production cycles are long in this business and whilst we are excited about the products we have in the pipeline, it will take time for the new products to come through and for the trust with our customers to be fully rebuilt.

The change in strategy has meant that the Christmas trading period was tough and there is likely to be some more volatility as we find out how off-peak trading performs for the first time in years without discounting. Despite this, we are determined to weather the storm and come out the other side with stronger brands, loyal customers, a leaner cost base and a better foundation from which to build a profitable and growing business."

The board intends to provide a more comprehensive review of the year in the final results in June.

• Thanks 3

I cant help but feel that meeting Christmas rather than January with key releases like the Sea Fury and Phantom would have helped them along.

I have no idea if that was avoidable or not behind the scenes of course...

At some point you have to take ownership of the fact that ultimately as a business you do control late deliveries. You just change the supplier(s) or the supply chain that keep letting you down on Shipment.

Still I’m hopeful for a new 1/24 Spitfire...

As I've mentioned before inadequate British management contracts out bits of it's business rather than manages them....

6 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

The new management team have made a significant impact on the ongoing cost base. They have reduced the fixed overheads by £1.7m since joining and the Board believes that there are further procurement efficiencies to come as we reorganise our supply chain towards mutually beneficial partnerships.

then will get all emotional when either the partner makes too much money or, more likely, the problems persist.

Concentrating on 'core activities' has always ended up in liquidation/bankruptcy, why do these people persist in applying the same old practices?

Fixed overheads by £1.7million sounds OK until you look at renumeration....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SleeperService said:

As I've mentioned before inadequate British management contracts out bits of it's business rather than manages them....

then will get all emotional when either the partner makes too much money or, more likely, the problems persist.

Concentrating on 'core activities' has always ended up in liquidation/bankruptcy, why do these people persist in applying the same old practices?

Fixed overheads by £1.7million sounds OK until you look at renumeration....

And many companies that have neglected their core activities while trying to do something new have also found themselves going out of business as a result.

2 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

And many companies that have neglected their core activities while trying to do something new have also found themselves going out of business as a result.

Correct. They outsource chunks of the business then spend all the time 'monitoring' that. As soon as a company starts to break up it's structure it's doomed.

The top management are paid to manage the company NOT 50% of it....

On 1/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, Phil32 said:

I cant help but feel that meeting Christmas rather than January with key releases like the Sea Fury and Phantom would have helped them along.

I have no idea if that was avoidable or not behind the scenes of course...

The first batch of the Phantom is still sold out and on pre-order again at the Airfix website. The new kits seem to sell whenever they are released. The Walrus sold shockingly well, which goes to show that there is always a market for a well executed kit.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 6:13 PM, Plasto said:

At some point you have to take ownership of the fact that ultimately as a business you do control late deliveries. You just change the supplier(s) or the supply chain that keep letting you down on Shipment.

Still I’m hopeful for a new 1/24 Spitfire...

We've  no idea what's in the supply contract. Could be that it's too expensive to change supplier....

True, 

But when you keep telling the market on a reasonably frequent basis that one of the reasons for your lack of sales and lack of profitability is due to late delivery from suppliers at some point you either need to stop using that as an excuse or do something about it.

Or perhaps not...

• Like 4

A few years ago I spoke with Dale Luckhurst at Airfix and warned him about specifying arrival dates for new product because, in my experience, things only slip backwards and the modelling community would use these slipped deliveries as a stick to beat Airfix. He replied that everyone at Airfix was confident that (on current performance) dates would be met. I suppose by and large (if we clinically review delivery performance) most kits do meet their specified date and the modelling community do use any slipped deliveries as a stick to beat Airfix. So what would we rather have:- projected delivery dates that may alter or New Kit arriving in 20XX?

• Like 1