Airfix 2019

jenko

I'll add my hopes for Airfix 2019-2020 releases (anticipating that some announcements for 2019 will get delayed in development and/or production and flow into 2020).  Any, some, all from the following suggestions, no particular order other than what I thought of.

1/48th Supermarine Spitfire FR.XIVe lowback - numerous decal options and fills a gap in the Airfix 1/48th Spitfire lineup.  Also able to be reworked with some smart tooling as the Spitfire FR.XVIII.

1/48th B.P. Defiant Mk.I - ASR and TT re-release with small sprue with appropriate conversion parts and new decals.

1/48th B.P Defiant Mk.II - build on success of the Mk.I release

1/48th Hawker Hunter FR.10 - variant release based on the 2018 Hunter F.6

1/48th N.A. Mustang P-51B/C - Mk.III - accurate kit of this Mustang that was well used by RAF and Allied Air Forces. Lots of re-issue and variant options.

1/48th Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc - lots of possibilities here with sub-variant and decal re-releases.

1/48th Hawker Typhoon - take all their research and work, fill the gap between their 1/72 and 1/24 offerings, in particular give options for the various sub-types and modification states, including 3 & 4 blade props, standard and Tempest tail planes, late production tropical air filter, full range of things under wings - long range tanks, bomb, rockets, napalm tanks - again lots of good schemes for re-releases.

1/48th N.A. Mustang Mk.I - certainly not produced by anyone as an 'out of the box' kit and a type used by the RAF in front line service from 1942 until 1945. With a new set of wings and some other minor parts, able to be reissued as the Mustang Mk.IA/P-51.  Lots of potential schemes for re-issues.

1/48th Fairey Battle - significant early WW2 RAF operational type and then long service in training/support roles - potential for TT variant.

Lastly, 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire PR.XI - a big gap as an 'out of the box' product as a mainstream injected plastic kit.  A couple still flying and another due to return to the skies in the next year or so.  Number of interesting marking options of wartime and post-War users.

Oh I will add in, re-release of the 1/72nd Valiant, and a new state of the art tool 1/72nd Vulcan, to add to the Victor.

Okay, that probably is more like a potential list for the next 5 to 10 years for Airfix, and is in a scale my aging eyes and ever increasingly less nimble fingers can still deal with.  Happy for Airfix to downscale to 1/72nd where appropriate for those who are still capable of working in that scale.

We can only hope.

Edited by ColFord
typo

My wish list for 2019 in 1/72nd scale are:-

Vickers Valetta

DH Venom (All marks )

Avro Lincoln

G. Meteor NF.11 - 14

G. Javelin ( All marks )

S. Spitfire FR.XVIII

Avro Anson ( Late marks )

DH. Chipmunk

NA. Sabre  ( RAF Slatted wing )

Westland Whirlwind helicopter ( All marks )

Hawker Hurricane IIc

Hawker Tempest (All marks )

F-84 Thunderstreak

F-80 / T-33 Shooting Star

Blackburn Beverley.

BAC Canberra B.2 etc.

Westland Wessex HAS. I

Only a few to keep them busy.

Steve.

• Like 3

My wishlist- 1/72 scale- all new tools, a B24 with options for birdcage and turret noses, Hampden, Manchester and a decent Mk8 Meteor. In 1/48 scale Vampire T11, Meteor T7, Hampden and Do17z.

But please it would be nice to see some smaller airfield buildings and vehicles in both 1/72 & 1/48th, I.e. an accurate contol tower, Fire engine shed and Nissan huts. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The SA-2 Guideline moulds still exist and are in the Airfix inventory, but they are damaged beyond use.

Thomo.

That's funny, its not on the mould inventory that Trevor Snowdon gave to Jeremy Brook.

I'd like to see the following

1:72   Airspeed Horsa Mk 1 (the Italeri / Revell / Airfix kit needs replacing with something more accurate)

1:72   Airspeed Horsa Mk II (No one has ever produced an accurate kit of this aircraft)

1:72   GAL Hamilcar Mk 1

1:72    WACO CG4a / Hadrian Mk I (why leave the American out)

all four to appear in a double boxing with the following

1:72    HP Halifax A Mk VII (may also be released as a bomber)

1:72    HP Halifax A Mk VII (Separate issue containing the Airborne Forces Jeep)

1:72    Dakota MkIII /C-47 (additional sprue for para supplies and glider snatch gear)

1:72    HP Hastings C Mk 1 (Could also be boxed with the gliders or Jeep)

1:72    Lockheed Hercules C Mk 4 / 5

1:72    Airfield vehicle sets (in the correct scale for the aircraft they will be used with)

1:48   GAL Hotspur Mk II / Mk III (boxed with the single part and instructions needed to turn a Spitfire Mk IX into a tug)

1:48   Hawker Hart, Audax, Hind, Osprey family (you get the idea plenty of colourful re-issues with minimum of bother)

1:48   Airfield vehicle sets (UK / US / German)

1:24   Gloster Gladiator

1:24   JCB 3x

I'd also like to see a larger scale Mary Rose in two versions - Full ship and as now displayed

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

That's funny, its not on the mould inventory that Trevor Snowdon gave to Jeremy Brook.

Being an avid real space and sci-fi modeller I asked Airfix many moons ago, way before Hornby and Humbrol hoved into view that was thier answer to me was the mould existed at that point in time but was damaged beyond use, they believed the mould  may have been dropped by a fork lift truck.

Thomo.

51 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Don't know who you spoke to or when Thomo, but I'd say Trevor and Jez are reliable sources

I don't know who they are, so I can't comment.

I'm just reporting what I was told twenty plus years ago. Its quite possible if the mould became US, they have been disposed of it in intervening years, just sayin'. But, when I enquired, I was told the mould existed but was unusable.

Thomo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

16 hours ago, ColFord said:

1/48th Hawker Typhoon - take all their research and work, fill the gap between their 1/72 and 1/24 offerings, in particular give options for the various sub-types and modification states, including 3 & 4 blade props, standard and Tempest tail planes, late production tropical air filter, full range of things under wings - long range tanks, bomb, rockets, napalm tanks - again lots of good schemes for re-releases.

IMO that would be like a licence to print money!

On 14/01/2018 at 9:54 AM, hairystick said:

It begs the question, is hornby tying a noose around it's own neck, business-wise?

We have seen companies being left behind in a new age (music manufacture and distribution, movies, books, etc) and shops no longer stocking their range of products / closing franchises would be an indication of the traditional business model being less than ideal in today's environment.

I see a few opportunities being missed, and new methods being possible. Perhaps the Spitfire kit with a newspaper approach will pay dividends in the future by getting new blood into the hobby? Good on them if so!

Problem with the kit with the newspaper is the paper concerned readership appears to be a bit older, I suppose they could the kit to the grandchildren. 

For 2019 I'd like to see the following:

In 1/72

- new tool Spit VC

- new tool Spit IX (yes, I know the current one is recentish, but it has issues and could be much better)

- metal wing hurricane (A02096 could be re-issued. Tooled in 2010 its not that old)

- more new tool WW1 planes

- a down scaled new tool Walrus to sit alongisde their 1/72 swordfish kit

- oh, and a new tool Arado Ar196 to combat the Walrus :P

In 1/24 new tool Spit IX (I've said it before and I'll keep saying it :idea:)

and it'd be nice to see a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth class CV kit appear at some point to coincide with their acceptance into service. (Air wing could be released as separate limited edition kits in dribs and drabs over ensuing years, just like the real thing :lol:)

Edited by RussellE

Hei,

Happy to see Airfix doing a Norwegian SeaKing in 2018, hope they add the extra antennae and sensors to the kit.

For 2019, I would like this in 1:72

Catalina if Revel does not release a new good tool.

C-130J stretched Hercules

SeaFury using the research for the 1:48 kit

Walrus ditto

Junkers Ju 52/3m with a stick of Fallschirmjagern

Douglas A-20 to extend their range of twins

DH Mosquito another twin with a tool that could need replacement

T-6 Harvard / Texan most used trainer all over Europe and Americas 

Avro 504K 

Wildcat Lynx in use by FAA and AAC

AW/EH 101

RAF trainer set: Avro 504K, Harvard, kits already made by Airfix, current RAF trainers, Short Tucano, Grob G115E Tutor & Beechcraft T-6 Texan II

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Is it too much to ask for the 1/72 Westland Wasp that many of us had (because we've given up long since) hoped for since the 70s?

It probably is from Airfix, however Mel from S & M Models has announced both Wasp & Scout kits in 1/72 & 1/48 as 2018 releases - http://sandmmodels.co.uk/news/

Warning - be careful if doing a Google Image Search for Mel's "company name". If SWMBO is looking over your shoulder you could get a right old rousing! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 14/01/2018 at 10:31 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Agreed.

It was only this week that the UK manufactured Earth-i range of satellites was announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42654281

I don't think for half a nano second that Airfix will consider producing any new real space kits, let alone UK subject matter. Its just an interesting subject.

Thomo

Best selling Eduard set a few years back by a mile was for the Hasegawa Voyager kit. My brother got me mine in Tokyo, when he went back for another the shelf was bare. Eduard mentioned the first bit in one of their newsletters IIRC.

Anything can capture the imagination especially if it's not rammed down their throat, a lesson model kit manufacturers among others could do well to learn, and quickly. The days of marketing spin overcoming reality are fast ending. 

I said to myself that I wouldn't do this, but I secretly/foolishly hope that someone may eventually take note, so….

Yes, OK, I would like them all, but I believe that the following would be very good for Airfix's finances (or any other manufacture for that matter).

1/24 Me 262 – One of the most popular aircraft of all time, but it has never been done in 1/24 before, and many variants, so if cleverly engineered, there could be loads of boxings.

1/48 Seaking – See below

1/48 Dh.88 Comet – Someone on here posted a list of the best selling kits in Airfix's history, and the 1/72 Seaking and Comet where in the top ten. If they sell well in 1/72, surely in 1/48 they would be good earners as well.

1/48 or 1/72 Luftwaffe vehicles/set – With Luftwaffe aircraft subjects being so popular around the world, its got to make sense.

The following are ones I would love, but would probably be financial suicide:

1/48 Handley Page Hampden

1/48 Martin-Baker MB 5

1/48 Bugatti Model 100

:pray:

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2018 at 8:46 PM, Martin T said:

Problem with the kit with the newspaper is the paper concerned readership appears to be a bit older, I suppose they could the kit to the grandchildren. 

Saw a couple of teenagers picking up their kits from my local Smith's when I went to get mine. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 10:09 PM, RussellE said:

For 2019 I'd like to see the following:

In 1/72

- new tool Spit VC

- new tool Spit IX (yes, I know the current one is recentish, but it has issues and could be much better)

- metal wing hurricane (A02096 could be re-issued. Tooled in 2010 its not that old)

- more new tool WW1 planes

- a down scaled new tool Walrus to sit alongisde their 1/72 swordfish kit

- oh, and a new tool Arado Ar196 to combat the Walrus :P

In 1/24 new tool Spit IX (I've said it before and I'll keep saying it :idea:)

and it'd be nice to see a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth class CV kit appear at some point to coincide with their acceptance into service. (Air wing could be released as separate limited edition kits in dribs and drabs over ensuing years, just like the real thing :lol:)

Walrus and Ar196 dogfight double!  That would be good.  I seem to remember the artwork for the Widgeon portrayed it in combat with an Ar196. 

• Like 2