Airfix 2019

jenko

Well sadly the 1/72 Westland Wasp release by Airfix has been put back to 28th October 2062 :rage:

Alas I do not think I will be around by that date...

Yes moderators you can smack and caution me for bringing this up in the 2019 thread - perhaps we should start a Airfix 2062 thread then ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Let’s not forget the Matchbox IX / XXX effort. I know it was pretty crude, however let’s give credit where it’s due. 

A new tolol would be most welcome. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ooops.  Quite right.  I've even built it!  But apart for the Matchbox kit what have the Romans ever done for us?

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

But apart for the Matchbox kit what have the Romans ever done for us?

Law and order, the roads...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Y'know, I'm having some serious deja vu reading this thread.  Perhaps we'd save ourselves a lot of time if we just copy-pasted the 2018 thread but deleted references to 1/48 Blenheim and Sea Fury, and 1/72 Phantom FGR2?

I'm simply thinking of your welfare, folks.  I'd hate for you all to get stuck in an ever-repeating thread where the only thing that changes is the year in the title. :)

Yes, but the good old 'Airfix Twenty Something' thread has become a good place for a bit of banter, sensible (and silly) suggestions and generally shooting the breeze.

And maybe it's less stressful chatting about future models than actually building the ones we have. ^_^

FWIW:

1/72 Boston

1/72 Hurricane Mk something other than I

1/72 Hampden

1/72 Mossie Mk not a VI

1/72 Spitfire Mk you know which one

1/72 Blackburn Blue Tit

etc etc

One thing I would like to say is; despite the wish of some of the Airfix 1/48th subjects scaled down to 1/72 has not happened ... yet. For example the Sea Vixen, Javelin and Meteor F.8. None of those have been listed in 1/72nd by Airfix. I know the F.8 has been done but its someone elses tooling so I don't count that one.  They have upscaled types such as the Gnat and P-51 but not the other way. will we get the Hunter down to 1/72 ever??? Again, not counting Spitfires because they are always to a degree a certainty.

So what we all still hope for in 1/72: Metal wing Hurricane Mk.1, Hunter, DH 'Twin Boomers', non PR Spits Merlin and Griffon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

One thing I would like to say is; despite the wish of some of the Airfix 1/48th subjects scaled down to 1/72 has not happened ... yet. For example the Sea Vixen, Javelin and Meteor F.8. None of those have been listed in 1/72nd by Airfix. I know the F.8 has been done but its someone elses tooling so I don't count that one.  They have upscaled types such as the Gnat and P-51 but not the other way. will we get the Hunter down to 1/72 ever??? Again, not counting Spitfires because they are always to a degree a certainty.

So what we all still hope for in 1/72: Metal wing Hurricane Mk.1, Hunter, DH 'Twin Boomers', non PR Spits Merlin and Griffon. 

Because the blind, fumbling fingered bully boys are less gentlemanly.

The 1/72nd crowd need to be more vocal!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Shouldn't the last one be JPPF? 

Yes, I'm a Monty spotter! :)

Very good Sergeant, a spoon!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, Phil Gollin said:

There can only be one choice for 2019  :-  

1/48th  Black  Arrow  rocket.

50 years before 2019, in 1969, the first sub-orbital launch of Black Arrow took place.   In 1971, a Black Arrow rocket launched a British made satellite, Prospero, into orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

An interesting suggestion. I wonder how many Brits would actually know about this project though?

I still have my father's Black Arrow project tie, as he was part of the team involved in the successful launch.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hairystick said:

An interesting suggestion. I wonder how many Brits would actually know about this project though?

I still have my father's Black Arrow project tie, as he was part of the team involved in the successful launch.

Sadly not many I think.

I still remember the roar the testing of the engines made from my childhood on the IoW.  The test house was in the cliffs, the engines exhausted out to sea.

The fact that we never continued with our own launch programme means it rapidly faded from the public consciousness.  I know about it only from the engine tests, my wife who's two years younger than me only knows about it through what I've told her.

As a subject for a model company whose parent company is in a bit of a dodgy state financially it's too niche and would be a non-starter. But the point of these threads is an opportunity for us to express our hopes and dreams so people should continue to make such suggestions regardless of their viability.

• Like 2

I think that due to one of the Airfix Exec's being involved with Oxford Diecasts, a Morris 1000 is well in order. It is only just a little different to an aircraft, after all it has wings, an engine, a cockpit complete with instrument panel and wheels so I don't see why not!

Ray

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

Prospero is still in orbit.

C.N. Hills book "A Vertical Empire" is the last word on the British space programme.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Empire-History-Programme-1950-1971/dp/1860942687

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Prospero is still in orbit.

C.N. Hills book "A Vertical Empire" is the last word on the British space programme.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Empire-History-Programme-1950-1971/dp/1860942687

Thomo.

That's a great book and certainly is the last word on Britain's organic space launch aspirations, but it's far from being the last word on the space programme which is alive and well, indeed flourishing, at present with a focus on launching small satellites.