Airfix 2019

jenko

Ok let's get started.......................someone had to

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

For 2019, I'm thinking that we'll get a repop of the Wellington probably with Coastal Command colour schemes.

I wonder if their molds would allow to produce Mk.XIII or Mk.XIV versions which I think were definitive for the Coastal Command. Another prediction is a re-release of later bomber versions - Mk.III or Mk.X.

Good thing is that with only one truly new tool in 1/72 in 2018 - which is Wellington - it's highly likely that 2019 will surpass 2018 :)

P.S. another question - does Airfix Sea King kit allows for easy release as SH-3 with let's say 1 extra sprue? Or full new fuselage needed?

Edited by Dennis_C

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

P.S. another question - does Airfix Sea King kit allows for easy release as SH-3 with let's say 1 extra sprue? Or full new fuselage needed?

The Sea King kit was originally released back in 1969 as an SH-3. The markings were for the Apollo recovery aircraft.

31 minutes ago, spaddad said:

You realise this is deeply sad, right?

The deeply sad topics are my favourites. :D 

New tools

1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV (obviously)

1/48 Bf 109G-6 (because every company has to have one)

1/48 DH Vampire FB.5

1/72 DH Mosquito FB.VI

1/72 Martin-Baker MB.5

1/72 Avro Vulcan B.2

New Variants

1/48 Hunter FGA.9

1/48 Hunter FR.10

1/72 Wellington Mk.I

1/72 Wellington Mk.III

1/72 AC-47D Spooky

1/72 Beaufighter FB.VI

1/48 Blenheim Mk.I (bomber)

1/72 B-17G (early - unstaggered waist guns) 

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I wonder if their molds would allow to produce Mk.XIII or Mk.XIV versions which I think were definitive for the Coastal Command. Another prediction is a re-release of later bomber versions - Mk.III or Mk.X.

Good thing is that with only one truly new tool in 1/72 in 2018 - which is Wellington - it's highly likely that 2019 will surpass 2018 :)

Well, Trumpeter got the Mk.Ic, Mk.III, Mk.X, and GR.XIV versions out of the same basic mould and so did MPM/Special Hobby (along with the Merlin powered Mk.II and PW powered Mk.IV) so it is possible. 

The Wellington, 1/48 Blenheim, and Hunter are the new tools for 2018 along with the Phantom (just), B-25, and Sea Fury held over from 2017. If you think about it that way, 2018 actually looks like being a better year for new tools than 2017.

In 1:48

Spitfire Mk XIV (almost confirmed)

Phantom

Vampire

Blenheim IV

I would wish for a Seaking, Scimitar, Dh 88 Comet and a Hampden too but think the four above are way more likely.

In 1:72

Vulcan

In 1:144

Space Shuttle new tool (never... sadly...)

• Like 1

1/72 Venom

1/72 Vampire FB.5/9

1/72 Hunter 1/4/T.7

1/72 Mosquito NF.30/36

1/72 Harvard IIb

1/48 Tempest

1/48 Hunter T.7

1/48 Vampire FB.5/9

1/48 Hawker Hind

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matave said:

DH Vampire 1/24

Good size for 1/24th scale and possibly one of the more colourful military jets, I'd have a few!

Gladiator would be nice in 1/24th too!

There can only be one choice for 2019  :-  

1/48th  Black  Arrow  rocket.

50 years before 2019, in 1969, the first sub-orbital launch of Black Arrow took place.   In 1971, a Black Arrow rocket launched a British made satellite, Prospero, into orbit.

See ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

• Like 3

2019 is the the centenary of the first flight across the Atlantic. So it has to be a Vickers Vimy in 1:48

It'll also be the 80th anniversary of the start of WW2 and as most British and German subjects are already covered could we see new versions of the Ju 52, Ju 88, Battle, Lysander or possibly something French?

• Like 2

1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV (duh!)

1/48 Hawker Hunter F.9

1/48 Blenheim Mk.IV (Hopefully the Free french version!)

1/48 Sea Fury - decal version for Iraq, Egypt, Pakistan

1/72 DH Mosquito Mk.II/VI/XVIII

1/72 B-17F - Memphis Belle / Coastal Command. My guess is that this was the "larger than a He-111" aircraft Airfix were rumoured to be measuring up at the Museum of Flight

1/72 B-25J / Mitchell III

1/72 Wellington - Coastal command

1/72 AC-47D Spooky - yes!. Good call VMA131Marine

7 hours ago, jenko said:

Balliol................................................ beat Trevor to it :P

So you’ll be buying some then?!

Obs the Spitfire XIV.......but what sub type? High back? Low back? An FR?

In RAF and Belgian markings.

In 1/72, the Battle and Hampden must be due.

In 1/48 and continuing with the trainer theme, a JP5 (lots of schemes/customers if you include the Strikemaster) or a Piston Provost, again lots of attractive schemes.

Also a Boulton Paul P.108 maybe?

Trevor