1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

I’ve checked mine and the legs are quite substantial moundings and the location of the hubs to the legs is tight but positive. Looks to me as though the problem is that the starboard one has been installed perpendicular to the wing as seen head on, causing the wheel to be toed in. I think there should be slight outward splay on the leg, which would make the wheel vertical. The stub axle fits into the hub in a key and slot arrangement, the section being an elongated egg shape.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Acksherly...   that kit look's like I've built it...   :fraidnot:   

I don't think so, Enzo. Yer modelling skills are above average.

15 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Looks to me as though the problem is that the starboard one has been installed perpendicular to the wing as seen head on, causing the wheel to be toed in.

Hi Joseph,

Here's James Cann's build video. I think he mentions to have broken something during the assembly of the main landing gear legs. Perhaps it's just that?

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks my old account had disappeared so I had to make a new one.

The reason the wheels were askew is that they were just push fitted , a sloppy effort on my part . my mistake !  The landing gear is strong and the reason I snapped a strut was the nature of the slightly brittle airfix plastic and a bit of ham fisted fistedness. 

Thanks for the feedback on the video I will try and do better for next time ! 

Many thanks

James 

At the Yeovil show I checked three different builds of the Hunter, including my own and all three had this same problem of the undercarriage legs bowing inwards a bit, so its not a fault of the builders. it seems to be a kit issue - anyone else seen it?

This is mine...

DSC_2365.JPG

5 hours ago, Lespauljames said:

Hi folks my old account had disappeared so I had to make a new one.

The reason the wheels were askew is that they were just push fitted , a sloppy effort on my part . my mistake !  The landing gear is strong and the reason I snapped a strut was the nature of the slightly brittle airfix plastic and a bit of ham fisted fistedness. 

Thanks for the feedback on the video I will try and do better for next time ! 

Many thanks

James 

James! :bye:

Thank you for posting your thoughts regarding your own video build - also, for having had to sign in once again; real appreciate it. So, in light of the input by mate Kallisti above, what do you think about the kit main landing gear legs? Could it be that the axles were a tad weak?

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

At the Yeovil show I checked three different builds of the Hunter, including my own and all three had this same problem of the undercarriage legs bowing inwards a bit, so its not a fault of the builders. it seems to be a kit issue - anyone else seen it?

This is mine...

DSC_2365.JPG

Kallisti, hey! Nice-looking kit. Striking paint scheme.

I real hate it when this happens to the wheels on my built models - it happens quite often, to be honest with ye. It'll make the best finished kit look toy-like, invariably. :sad: 

Hope G-Factor (or Windup, perhaps?) will come to the rescue with some bronze/metal legs for this beauty.

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
G-Resin...???!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just received from Hannants of UK, Xtradecal ref. X48203 - Hawker Hunters International Operators

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48203

Hawker Hunter F.56 - BA360A - 20 Sqn/Target Towing Flight Indian Air Force - Kalaikunda AB India 1972;

Hawker Hunter F.6 - 660 - 4 Sqn Iraq Air Force - H-3 Air Base during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;

Hawker Hunter FGA.70 - L175 - Lebanese Air Force during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;

Hawker Hunter F.6 - 60-602 - 5 Sqn Royal Saudi Air Force 1969;

Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - RRAF121 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1967;

Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - R1821 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1972.

A superb decal sheet !

Do you know if Xtradecal intend to eventually release another decal sheet at 1/48 scale covering Hawker Hunters International Operators of :

Kuwait, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Oman ?

Qatar Hunters have never been covered on a decal sheet at 1/48 scale.  

1/48 Decals for Hunters of Kuwait (first version of the Academy Kit), Abu Dhabi (ADS) and Oman (Cutting Edge) have been produced in the far past but are now very difficult to find.

Thanks for any info about it.

😎

SharkOwl   

1290b3817149c8035ef25c64b878229c.jpg

https://tof.cx/images/2019/04/25/1290b3817149c8035ef25c64b878229c.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

Just received from Hannants of UK, Xtradecal ref. X48203 - Hawker Hunters International Operators

😎

SharkOwl   

About future 1/48th Xtradecal sheets: link

See also previous page: link

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

22 minutes ago, Homebee said:

About future 1/48th Xtradecal sheets: link

See also previous page: link

V.P.

I am already fully aware of these infos Homebe.

My open question is directed to the Xtradecals owners / artists who are also readers of Brittmodeller.Com

A+ from Québec.

🙂

SharkOwl 

2 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

AAAARGH!! I wish that 'Rhodesian Hunters had sky undersides' myth would die, but it keeps getting repeated!

.....and the Saudi Hunters with roundels on all four mainplane surfaces......

Very similar to the much earlier Cutting Edge decals which I have in front of me .........just saying !!

2 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

.....and the Saudi Hunters with roundels on all four mainplane surfaces......

Very similar to the much earlier Cutting Edge decals which I have in front of me .........just saying !!

Earliest ref to the 'sky' undersides I've found so far is an edition of Airfix magazine from about 1972, so it's long established

Edited by Dave Fleming

44 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

What colour should the underside be?

The original "Light Aircraft Grey" 9-095-BS2660 which was dropped by the RAF early on as it had a distinctive yellowish cast, especially under strong sunlight and especially at altitude.

• Like 1

Two CMK dedicated detailing resin sets expected in August 2019

- ref. 129-4387 - Hawker Hunter F.6 Cockpit - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/hawker-hunter-f-6-cockpit.html

- ref. 129-4388 - Hawker Hunter F.6 Undercarriage Set - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/hawker-hunter-f-6-undercarriage-set.html

Hunter.jpg

Hunt2.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sources: 

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR48406&cat=33

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/accessories/barracudacastbr24271previewbg_1.htm

BR48406   1/48   Hawker Hunter Main and Nose Wheels  

48406%20Hunter%20wheels%20ad%20image%201

This set consists of new resin main and nosewheels, featuring accurate hub detail and tires with detailed data and circumferential tread pattern.

48406%20Hunter%20wheels%20ad%20image%202

The nosewheel is correctly spoked, unlike the Airfix kit part. A quick and easy upgrade for your Airfix Hunters. Can be fit to the Academy kit with some modification of the kit struts. Designed by Gerry Mos. 

48406%20Hunter%20wheels%20ad%20image%204

V.P.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Open message and request to Xtradecal !

1/48 Hunters of Kuwait, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Oman ?

Following the excellent decals Xtradecal ref. X48203 - Hawker Hunters International Operators

Hawker Hunter F.56 - BA360A - 20 Sqn/Target Towing Flight Indian Air Force - Kalaikunda AB India 1972;

Hawker Hunter F.6 - 660 - 4 Sqn Iraq Air Force - H-3 Air Base during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;

Hawker Hunter FGA.70 - L175 - Lebanese Air Force during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;

Hawker Hunter F.6 - 60-602 - 5 Sqn Royal Saudi Air Force 1969;

Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - RRAF121 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1967;

Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - R1821 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1972.

Do you think that Xtradecal could eventually release another decal sheet at 1/48 scale covering Hawker Hunters International Operators of :

Kuwait, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Oman ?

Qatar Hunters have never been covered on a decal sheet at 1/48 scale. 

1/48 Decals for Hunters of Kuwait (first release of the Academy Kit), Abu Dhabi (ADS Decals) and Oman (Cutting Edge Decals) have been produced in the far past, but are now very difficult if not impossible to find.

If you agree with my request to Xtradecal please ‘’Like’’ this post.

🙂

SharkOwl

spacer.png

https://tof.cx/images/2019/08/30/b138cf09a7a85097ac971c69133fff5b.jpg

Having in mind the upcoming release by Airfix of a beautiful new Hunter F.4 kit , the planned Hi-Decal Hunter sheets have been adapted to this release and will look like this: 

HD48029 & HD72059  Hawker Hunter F.4 / FGA.9 / FR.10 / T.66 

E-411- F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish AF 1963, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,

E-410 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish AF 1974, in overall olive green scheme,

140 - F.52 (F.4) Peruvian AF 1962, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,

J-702 - FGA.71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF 1978, in desert (brown/sand yellow over light blue) camouflage, 

J-703 - FGA.71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF  1975, in ghost grey/dark ghost grey camouflage,

J-718 - T.72 (T.66)  Chilean AF 1978, in tree tone desert (green/brown/sand over light blue) camouflage,  

J-738 - FR.71A (FR.10) Chilean AF 1978, in desert (brown/sand over light blue) camouflage, 

828 - FGA.73A (FGA.9) Omani AF 1979, with experimental (dark grey/extra dark grey) disruptive camouflage,

825 - F.73 (FR.10) Omani AF 1989, with dark grey/ extra dark grey camouflage and combat mission markings,

CC-707 - FGA.76 (FGA.9) Somali AF 1983, in desert (brown/sand over light blue) scheme and Soviet K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) AAMs.

Greetings

Diego 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Diego said:

Having in mind the upcoming release by Airfix of a beautiful new Hunter F.4 kit , the planned Hi-Decal Hunter sheets have been adapted to this release and will look like this: 

HD48029 & HD72059  Hawker Hunter F.4 / FGA.9 / FR.10 / T.66 

E-411- F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish AF 1963, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,

E-410 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish AF 1974, in overall olive green scheme,

140 - F.52 (F.4) Peruvian AF 1962, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,

J-702 - FGA.71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF 1978, in desert (brown/sand yellow over light blue) camouflage, 

J-703 - FGA.71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF  1975, in ghost grey/dark ghost grey camouflage,

J-718 - T.72 (T.66)  Chilean AF 1978, in tree tone desert (green/brown/sand over light blue) camouflage,  

J-738 - FR.71A (FR.10) Chilean AF 1978, in desert (brown/sand over light blue) camouflage, 

828 - FGA.73A (FGA.9) Omani AF 1979, with experimental (dark grey/extra dark grey) disruptive camouflage,

825 - F.73 (FR.10) Omani AF 1989, with dark grey/ extra dark grey camouflage and combat mission markings,

CC-707 - FGA.76 (FGA.9) Somali AF 1983, in desert (brown/sand over light blue) scheme and Soviet K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) AAMs.

Greetings

Diego 

Thank you for the infos Diego.

What about another future decal sheet covering Hunters of Kuwait, Qatar ans Abu Dhabi ?

SharkOwl

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062994-hawker-hunter-t7-conversions-available-for-pre-order/

Hi Guys

At long last the Hunter set is ready for pre-ordering, it will also be available at Telford next weekend but it will be on a first come first serve basis for the show I am afraid, that is for a few reasons.

It has taken a little longer than I had hoped and or expected but I must say I am pleased with the outcome, and hope that you will be as well.

Here are a few pictures of what it looks like now, a lot has changed and parts have evolved and has been detailed from what has been shown previously, the canopy was totally remastered a few weeks ago, and I have succeeded in casting it in clear resin.

All you need to do now is choose which decal sheet you want to go for, all the parts are the same in each option, so a few will not be required on the RAF aircraft

Links below to the web shop

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/hawker-hunter-t-7-conversion-early-raf-for-airfix-kit
https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/hawker-hunter-t-7-conversion-early-rn-for-airfix-kit

49007433723_654f9b5793_z.jpg

49008178802_12e84b534c_c.jpg

49007963836_7174e06428_b.jpg

49007433983_5a35950303_b.jpg

V.P.

• Like 6