1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

19 hours ago, triumphfan said:

Oops, sadly not Jon. I ran out of wheel rim on the fifth hole. Still, I will be doing several more so practice will make perfect. 😎 (plus using a slightly smaller drill bit, lol)

Atb, Steve.

Mum's the word- you are safe on here as no one reads it much anyway :)  LOL !

Jonners

PS It must be said that the lack of interior detail to any of the gear doors is a bit of a mystery.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Why?

Tommo.

Well - they managed to put a lot of detail into the interior of the wheel wells, but the insides of the doors are pretty blank. A cursory glance at the references or a quick Google will reveal the  inner faces of the doors have some detail that would be no harder to reproduce than the detail inside the UC bays.

Does that suitably explain "why" I find it a mystery for you? 

Jonners

The Academy kit has nice raised rivet detail on the inside of the doors but on both the ones I built deep injector pin marks meant much of the detail was at risk of loss. Doesn't explain why Airfix did not mould it but my one concern with their recent releases is the placement of the knock out pins in the mould and how deep some of the marks are in very awkward places to fill ( sidewall inserts of the P-40, wheel wells of the PO being recent examples).  For some reason Airfix does not use the methods of some other manufacturers such as Hasegawa who design some of these in " off" the part and joined to the part by a normal thin sprue gate.

1 hour ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

Why there is no kit review in Britmodeller yet?

I would look on this kit as a review, theres plenty of guys  on this thread complementing how good it is, how brilliant, superb, best kit ever, then proceed to knock holes in it(as an afterthought.)  I have found that to come right out with faults with a brand new kit, that all other Britmodellers pile into them and asking the modeller to give the kit a chance as its only recently hit the shelves(relates to all new kit releases - not just the Hunter)..………. they find its far easier(or in a round about way)to preferably complement the kit FIRST then add what really they wanted to say about in the first place...….small errors found on the kit which in their minds, proper research could have avoided, doesn't take long for a few others to join in with a complement or two then add an error they just happened to find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

Why there is no kit review in Britmodeller yet?

For what it's worth, I've had mine for a week or two now and my view (though to be fair, I haven't built it yet) would be that it's a mix of very good and slightly disappointing. Highlights would be the intake design, the wheel wells, the overall outline and the decal sheet, but the cockpit is only average and the flaps (completely devoid of any detail whatsoever), nosewheel (plain hub with no detail) and undercarriage doors (no detail at all on inner surfaces) would all, I think, be considered 'fails'. However, the aftermarket will probably take care of all of these shortcomings eventually. For anyone who might be interested, I tried the Aires cockpit designed for the Academy kit and it actually seems to fit the new Airfix kit quite well. In summary, even though I thought I'd be throwing my Academy one (and all the associated aftermarket) out, I now think I'll probably keep it.

The final point I'd make - though maybe it's generalising a bit too much - is that there seems to me to be a 'prop team' and a 'jet team' at Airfix and the former seems to be better than the latter. The Blenheim, for instance (e.g., cockpit, engines, wheel wells, flaps) to me seems more/better detailed than the Hunter.

Not trying to have a go at Airfix (any new 'Cold War' jet is very welcome), just my tuppence worth. Donning tin hat now and running for the dugout!

Edited by hopkp
Grammar!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Ta Dude,

No need to be so high handed in your reply it was a honset question.

Tommo.

Well, when people ask monosyllabic questions, that lack any hint of politeness, I tend to answer in a manner I find appropriate. 

Perhaps you might consider that next time you ask a question. 

Regards 

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:39, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Well, when people ask monosyllabic questions, that lack any hint of politeness, I tend to answer in a manner I find appropriate. 

Perhaps you might consider that next time you ask a question. 

Regards 

Jonners

Jon Kunac-Tabinor, the epitome of politeness?

Look into that mirror dude.

Tommo.

Better yet, and this is the official line, both of you calm down.  There's absolutely no need to get shirty about this.  It all escalated to handbags rather too quickly.  Not good :fraidnot:

Any more shenanigans and there will be holidays :shrug:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Better yet, and this is the official line, both of you calm down.  There's absolutely no need to get shirty about this.  It all escalated to handbags rather too quickly.  Not good :fraidnot:

Any more shenanigans and there will be holidays :shrug:

Sorry Boss..  I'd stopped worrying about this with my last reply 8 days or so ago. 

From my my perspective it was all said and done. 

Cheers

Jonners

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Any more shenanigans

Hi Mike!

That word... :giggle: I was at an Irish shindig during last St. Patrick Day. We had a lot of brews and soon all hell broke loose, when someone started some sort of a mosh in the living room.

I sudenly went through a window and landed before a couple of levely garden dwarves who seemed to be staring at me.

First thought crossing my mind was the these two were the Shenanigans... :rofl2:

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Jonners is my mate.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Xtradecal future sheet

- ref. X48203 - Hawker Hunters International Operators

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48203

• Hawker Hunter F.56 - BA360A - 20 Sqn/Target Towing Flight Indian Air Force - Kalaikunda AB India 1972;
  • Hawker Hunter F.6 - 660 - 4 Sqn Iraq Air Force - H-3 Air Base during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;
  • Hawker Hunter FGA.70 - L175 - Lebanese Air Force during ‘Operation Moked’ Iraq 1967;
  • Hawker Hunter F.6 - 60-602 - 5 Sqn Royal Saudi Air Force 1969;
  • Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - RRAF121 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1967;
  • Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - R1821 - 1 Sqn Royal Rhodesian Air Force - Thornhill AB Rhodesia 1972.

X48203_1.jpg?t=1545587883

V.P.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:yikes:Just watching the build of the Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter kit on YouTube when I spotted this:

a5v7NHE.jpg

Are the main landing gear legs that fragile on the Airfix Hunter kit...?

Cheers,

Unc2 

Looks to me like the main wheels weren't glued on straight. The nose gear is slightly mounted off to the right.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Go back and have another look...

:lol: Just did, and that right tyre is still looking awfully awry. Check the left one; it's starting to twist.

49 minutes ago, sinistervampire319 said:

Looks to me like the main wheels weren't glued on straight. The nose gear is slightly mounted off to the right.

What does the axle look like on the kit main landing gear legs? Are they short? Round? Square? Me's worried now... :unsure:

Yeh, me is. Still don't have "they're" kit, y'know.

Cheers,

Unc2