1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, viscount806x said:

The Academy kit has a somewhat curved lower windscreen/canopy - to - fuselage line whereas it should be a straight line.

Hi, viscount, my mate.

I don't think I follow, because it's the other way round for me; that curve at the base of the windshiled is present on the Airfix kit, while it's completely straight on the Academy kit.

Would you mind further elaborating on it, please?

22 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

@Uncle Uncool

You probably already know but there is an Airfix distributor in Buenos Aires?

https://dukelhobbies.com.ar/

Do they have Hawkers finest in stock yet?

Trevor

Hi Trevor!

Thanks a lot! Yeh, I was aware that Dukel Hobbies was an Airfix local distributor, but unfortunately for me, they still don't have the new Hunter kit available, and it might as well be months until they ever have it.

22 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

The Harrier has been out for ages.

:coat:

Dennis

:fraidnot: Hmph... certainly, yeh. But I'm afraid it's more like "the Harrier has been out OF STOCK for ages", Dennis.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I don't think I follow, because it's the other way round for me; that curve at the base of the windshiled is present on the Airfix kit, while it's completely straight on the Academy kit.

Would you mind further elaborating on it, please?

Academy kit

Hunter003.jpg&key=c6c14f9ac355da15049cf0

GJ-Hunter%2520FGA9-024.JPG&key=ca6cfb86f

Airfix

1-DSC-2914.jpg&key=8a876518fc012a0a66d31

Don't know about the windscreen, Academy got the hood shape wrong

HTH?

ps all pics off Britmodeller, the Hunter walkround is here

Troy, I still think that the Airfix windshield might be made to fit the Academy kit. Check the way the Academy windshield sits on the kit forward fuselage; see the way it butts flat at the base of the windshield? It's totally flat, while the forward fuselage shape is round.

vz6qMYT.jpg

Now, y'see how curved the base of the windshield on the new Airfix kit is? It might fit the Academy kit fine, while - at the same time - endow the Academy kit with that same curved butt joint found in the real aircraft. You see? You see? Y'seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...???

6A3RsgE.jpg

And still; good thing is that the Airfix kit brings two clear pieces for either an open or shut canopy option.

Someone go check and take piccies, please.

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Anxiety turned me loco, sort of...

Well, after all, I was quite right about that wet dream I had with regard to the new Airfix windshield fitting the Academy kit like a glove.

It's like that (day 'n' dry) dream I had about the Kinetic Su-33 fuselage halves fitting the Hobby Boss Su-27. Later on, when the Kitty Hawk Su-35 kit was released, I bounced my head hard against the fridge door, and I had this epiphany about the fuselage halves on the Kitty Hawk kit fitting the Hobby Boss kit as well. This was sort of a painful reassurement, as the head needed stitches. Stitches needed injection, so the stuff did some job on me; I passed out and dreamt about the new ICM Foxbat kit lower fuselage fitting the Kitty Hawk kit to fit the wrong curvature on the latter aft of the main landing gear wells!

And the dream was damn right, as it fits that area like a charm.

I shall become a plastic guru, methinks. My IQ is 189; do you think that's the reason for these epiphanies?

Anyone thinking I'm just talking "loco", ought to go check out the fitting of these kits.

Yeh, ya ought to...

Cheers,

Unc2  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, drwho said:

might get the t7 conversoin  looks good would it fit accadmy one  how long shd i wait for airfix spaers to reply  sent msg on the 18th  asking 4  hunter front canopy  no reply as yet

The Academy fuselage construction is quite different to the Airfix kit, so even if the dimensions around the forward fuselage are the same, you will likely need to adjust the inner intake faces or not fit them at all and fabricate some FOD covers.

Airfix do not seem to have the volume of spares available that they used to. They used to retain some full kits from the production line to supply spares. The message I got from them was they only have spares when they have a kit returned. I still need a windscreen for my 1/48th Hurricane and although they  have released it in a new boxing I am still unable to get one after 6 months +. Having said that they are usually fast to respond so try re contacting them via the link on their web site.

2 hours ago, neilh said:

Airfix do not seem to have the volume of spares available that they used to. They used to retain some full kits from the production line to supply spares. The message I got from them was they only have spares when they have a kit returned. I still need a windscreen for my 1/48th Hurricane and although they  have released it in a new boxing I am still unable to get one after 6 months +. Having said that they are usually fast to respond so try re contacting them via the link on their web site.

So that is why I am waiting for a part for a B-17 I asked about at the beginning of the month. They did sent a reply asking for the coding in a white oval on the back of the box, which I gave them but have heard nowt since.

@drwho was the canopy / windscreen missing from the kit when it was purchased? If so, and your living in the UK, your first contact should be with the shop / trader it was purchased from.

If Airfix come up with the goods, great, but if not the above is what you could do.

What I will suggest is take a photo of the kit box and the bar code and attach both to your email, also give the part number(s) that are missing.

Well I picked up my kit from the post office last night and opened the bag to have ganger and start the kit this morning. I notised the nose cone loose in the bag but worst was to come- The cockpit tub is missing, bag was sealed, so a factory QC issue..Disapointed is my first reaction as wanted to make a start today! After reading the last few posts, looks like a stalled start to the build, even if i can get missing part?

6 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Well I picked up my kit from the post office last night and opened the bag to have ganger and start the kit this morning. I notised the nose cone loose in the bag but worst was to come- The cockpit tub is missing, bag was sealed, so a factory QC issue..Disapointed is my first reaction as wanted to make a start today! After reading the last few posts, looks like a stalled start to the build, even if i can get missing part?

All the slightly adverse comments re the Hunter kit prompted me to open mine that I got from Airfix a few weeks ago.  Everything is there thank heavens but building it has slipped to behind the Wellington which is even better than the Hunter and is Gold quality.

Dennis 

Wonder what Ray Marrota would say about the thickness of the canopy hood?  There is no rear frame, just curved perspex. 

I still much prefer the 1/32 Revell Hunter but glad Airfix are still doing post-war British jets, and eagerly await the Sea Vixen repop

Tony 

20 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Have you got another one, by any chance, John?

Hi Unc,

As it happens I do have a spare Hunter windshield. But Lord knows how much it would cost to get to Buenos Aires? PM me.

John

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

Hi Shaun

I have just sent you a PM. Let me know exactly what parts you need for the cockpit, I have lots of kits, and quite a few are being used to develop the 2 seat Hunter conversion that I am doing.

As a follow on guys the 2 seat development is progressing just a little slower than I thought but there is MOVEMENT, I promise........

Ali

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, Jabba said:

So that is why I am waiting for a part for a B-17 I asked about at the beginning of the month. They did sent a reply asking for the coding in a white oval on the back of the box, which I gave them but have heard nowt since.

Just a month?

After 6 months of waiting, they eventually told me they couldn't supply a replacement canopy for my Sea Fury and to take it back to the dealer I bought it from.

It previously took over a year to get clear parts for the 1/72 Blenheim IV.

Cheers,

Bill.

1 hour ago, Heraldcoupe said:

Just a month?

After 6 months of waiting, they eventually told me they couldn't supply a replacement canopy for my Sea Fury and to take it back to the dealer I bought it from.

It previously took over a year to get clear parts for the 1/72 Blenheim IV.

Cheers,

Bill.

Thanks for that, I shall wait a little longer then.

4 hours ago, drwho said:

allways say  take it back to the dealer . 

That's my approach to buying Airfix now. I used to buy a lot at shows and through mail order, but I've moved to buying Airfix only from retailers I can go back to easily.

Cheers,

Bill.

Anyone else has clear parts issues? The canopy centre section was loose in the clear runner's bag so there were scuff and scratch marks on it as well as the one-piece canopy. I rectified this by sanding/polishing, but there is another, more fatal flaw: there are flow marks in the clear plastic so no matter how much you polish, you won't get rid of them. Why do so many of the new Airfix release have quality issues? My Sea Fury had problems as well.

I bought it from Hannants, sent directly to me in Japan so it's not so straight forward to rectify.

Jeffrey

Hi,

Airfix’s spare parts policy is basically to return the kit to the retailer for refund /replacement. They just don’t operate the spares department in the same way as they used to. If your overseas and have bought via an internet retailer then email Airfix and include a copy of your receipt in the email and images of the issue if it’s a parts flaw. 

I reccomend end you check the kit carefully before you start it for missing or short shot / damaged parts. It’s much easier to deal with parts issues on an unstarted kit. 

I know now all of the above via bitter experience in dealing with Airfix on quality issues. Of the last 3  Airfix 1/48 kits I bought 2 had issues...  Which is why I’m not going to buy a Hunter till I can inspect the kit prior to purchase. 

Airfix I suspect know they have a QC issue but they don’t seem to acknowledge it.  

7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Anyone else has clear parts issues? The canopy centre section was loose in the clear runner's bag so there were scuff and scratch marks on it as well as the one-piece canopy. I rectified this by sanding/polishing, but there is another, more fatal flaw: there are flow marks in the clear plastic so no matter how much you polish, you won't get rid of them. Why do so many of the new Airfix release have quality issues? My Sea Fury had problems as well.

I bought it from Hannants, sent directly to me in Japan so it's not so straight forward to rectify.

Jeffrey

FWIW, the clear sprue in my kit is the clearest and most flaw-free of any I've had in over 50 years of modelling. OTOH the upper wing/fusealge piece has 15 - 20 degress of dihedral due to warping. Seems there are some quality control issues all right, but odd that they vary so much between kits. I can bash the warp out easily enough, butI have told Airfix, on the basis that if no-one tells them directly, they may not realise they have a problem.

Paul.

• Like 2

It has been mentioned that the front wheel is devoid of detail (spokes) 

Yes, it would have been nice if Airfix had done this but I've just drilled five holes in the rim with a micro drill and it looks much better now.

Pretty easy fix for any modellers wishing to save a few quid going aftermarket.

I think the main wheels are super, any differing opinions?

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1