1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

On 12/2/2018 at 9:33 AM, jaw said:

If you have the Aeroclub Hunter correction set there is the parabrake housing for the FGA9 with that. Whether of course it matches up with the Hunter kit is another matter

Β 

It doesn't.Β  Most notably, the split is in a different location in the two kits - Academy has it further aft, basically at the start of the parabrake, in line with the back of theΒ  tailplane mounting plates on the fin.Β  Airfix have it further forward, in line with the main vertical panel line on the tail (just in front of the mountingΒ plate).Β  So you'd have about a 1" gap to fill in.

Β 

Additionally, the fuselage diameter is different, so even if you cut and section Airfix's F.6 tail to fill the gap, the parabrake parts wouldn't fit anyway.

Β 

That said, if Airfix drag their feet on an FGA.9 release, you can count on someone doing a resin conversion specifically for the kit.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:55 PM, PattheCat said:

Hello. Could someone tell me if there were differences between Belgian and British Hunters F6? Any specifics?

Thanks.

Nothing so far as I know. Be mindful though that Belgium had the earlier F.4 as well when making a choice of particular markings ;)Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as I am aware,the Belgian Hunters did not differ from those operated by the R.A.F.However,I remember looking across the dispersal area on Sylt,and noting that the Belgian camouflage colours were different.The green had a browner tone,and the grey appeared paler.Fairey built aircraft seemed to be more in accord with the standard colours.Perhaps Belgian experts can comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some useful tips already. My thanks to Col., Baldeagle and Guillaume. I intend to do a "Red Devils" machine, and I think they only usedΒ  the F6. Finding the right shade of red is another matter of course.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Some useful tips already. My thanks to Col., Baldeagle and Guillaume. I intend to do a "Red Devils" machine, and I think they only usedΒ  the F6. Finding the right shade of red is another matter of course.

From photographs, the Red appears to be the same as the outer ring of the roundel

Β 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Be extra cautious when searching for references: The Brussels military museum has a Hunter in Red Devil colors, but it is an F.4 and the Red Devils never flew the F.4 but only the F.6... it is basically a β€˜what if’!!! Β Don’t use this oneΒ as a reliable source

• Thanks 2

Apologies for the quality of the images. Β The original prints are quite small and taken nearly sixty years ago - time has not been kind to them :-

Β 

RjkxfNw.jpg

Β 

vQoeCjl.jpg

I understand that the device on the nose was in Gold and Black but am quite willing to be corrected !

Β 

HTbo7EZ.jpg

Red spineΒ and fin with Red 'T' Bands on the wings

(Possibly Day-glo Red ?)

Β 

HTH

Β 

Dennis

Β 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Β 

RjkxfNw.jpg

Β 

vQoeCjl.jpg

Β 

:Tasty:Β The clean F.6 ought to be the most beautiful aircraft in the whole world...

Now, if only this Xtradecal sheet existed in 1/48th scale

Β 

PQu9y15.jpgΒ  Β  Β  Β vXG5xKV.jpg

That Hunter in Chilean service is what I'd be after.

Cheers,

Β 

Unc2

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

The clean F.6 ought to be the most beautiful aircraft in the whole world...

Β 

You are probably right!

Β 

The problem is that beautiful aircraft do not necessarily make interesting models.Β  I find that the sleeker an aircraft is, the more toy-like a small scale model of it looks.Β  :shrug:Β 

Β 

It's the ugly aircraft - F-4 Phantom especially - that make the most interesting models.Β 

Β 

If I'm building a Hunter, I like to have things break up the sleek outline to provide more interest.Β  Drop the flaps and airbrake, hang all sorts of ordnance off it.Β  Then the model looks good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luis pacheco said:

I would be please to see markings for "Grupo de AviaciΓ³n NΒΊ 7".

Β‘Hola, Luis!
Indeed; or those of Grupo de AviaciΓ³n NΒΊ 9, with their desert camo. You dig? I'd like to build a two-seat in that scheme.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The problem is that beautiful aircraft do not necessarily make interesting models.Β  I find that the sleeker an aircraft is, the more toy-like a small scale model of it looks.Β  :shrug:Β 

Β 

It's the ugly aircraft - F-4 Phantom especially - that make the most interesting models.Β 

Β 

If I'm building a Hunter, I like to have things break up the sleek outline to provide more interest.Β  Drop the flaps and airbrake, hang all sorts of ordnance off it.Β  Then the model looks good.

Hi, Enzo!

Yeh, it's a matter of taste, I guess.
By small scale do you mean smaller than 1/48th scale? I couldn't ever build kits in 1/72nd scale.
The ugliest ever aircraft there is out there - and which kitΒ I built -Β the Hobby Boss 1/48 A-10Β NA/W, is quite beautiful when built clean, even with dropped flaps and all.
Sometimes I've found the ugliest aircraft to be a real beauty when built clean, including theΒ F-4, which I find lovely.
But for instance, the Mirage III/5 family of deltas become ugly as soon as you start hanging those bulky 1300/1700-litre tanks and MERs full of bombs on them. The cleanest they are, the sleekest and sexy.
And the more weathered, chippedΒ and faded the finish, the more itΒ makes any 1/48th scale kit look nothing like a toy-like thing.Β 
Cheers,

Β 

Unc2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You are probably right!

Β 

Β 

Β 

EnzoΒ -that is fighting talk; how can you use the words β€œugly” and Phantom in the same breath!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

how can you use the words β€œugly” and Phantom in the same breath!

In a thread about the Hunter, very easily "Phugly"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, iainpeden said:

EnzoΒ -that is fighting talk; how can you use the words β€œugly” and Phantom in the same breath!

Very easily. The Phantom is a very ugly aircraft - some might say brutal looking. Β It's a triumph of function over form. Β And the long nosed versions are even uglier!

Β 

But it's my favourite aircraft. Β :wub:

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Very easily. The Phantom is a very ugly aircraft - some might say brutal looking. Β It's a triumph of function over form. Β And the long nosed versions are even uglier!

Β 

But it's my favourite aircraft. Β :wub:

Β 

:rofl2:Β Oh, Enzo...

On 12/6/2018 at 3:34 PM, Stephen said:

Back on topic, does anyone think we'll see this kit this side of Christmas or will it be another late one like the Sea Fury?

Β 

The kit will only appear in early January, I have that information directly from Airfix.

45 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Apologies if I'm a bit behind the drag curve here with the parabrake parts discussion above, but surely the para brake tail section is included in the kit?

Also a direct confirmation both sets of exhaust sections are being includedΒ with the first release, so a 6 a 6a and basically a 9 can be built from the box

Β 

I hope to start showing some more work in progress on the two seater versions in a few weeks time, just working hard to finish of the Wellington Mk.VI conversion and another little correction set in 1/32 scale, then the desk will be cleared to make way for the two seat Hunter versions.

Β 

cheers Ali

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2