1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

I see that the December issue of Airfix Model World has an article on the Hunter F6 model. It looks an excellent kit, and I look forward to getting mine in due course. However, I see that the kit wingtips are wrong as they do not straighten out as on the real aircraft - nor is that shown on the lovely box art. OK it is a matter of a few seconds to rectify this with a sanding stlck but in my opinion Airfix have shot themselves in the foot by making this error. But having said that none of the other Hunter kit manufacturers have got the wingtips correct either!

John

3 hours ago, jaw said:

I see that the December issue of Airfix Model World has an article on the Hunter F6 model. It looks an excellent kit, and I look forward to getting mine in due course. However, I see that the kit wingtips are wrong as they do not straighten out as on the real aircraft - nor is that shown on the lovely box art. OK it is a matter of a few seconds to rectify this with a sanding stlck but in my opinion Airfix have shot themselves in the foot by making this error. But having said that none of the other Hunter kit manufacturers have got the wingtips correct either!

John

Very minor detail. Academy did the same . And as mentioned above a quick nip and sand ,... job done.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, jaw said:

John

Go back a page or two and there's a superb photograph showing you what you need to achieve. Possibly three minutes work in total.....

• Like 1

Yes I accept that correcting Airfix’s error may only take a few moments, but surely the point is that with all their research resources they should not have  m ade the error in the first place! But that will not stop me from buying the kit.

John

• Like 2

Hunter T.Mk.7 conversion set in progress by Aerocraft Models - https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/products

Source: http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/accessories/aerocraftdwiwellingtonpreview_1.htm

The Hunter will be a T Mk.7 conversion for the new Airfix kit in 1/48 scale.

dwipreview_3.jpg

I have been informed directly by Airfix that they will not be producing this version. The plastic parts shown are Airfix parts and I have made a very quick mock-up of the two seat section, primed and marked accordingly as requested by Airfix, to emphasise that it is not a model section done by them.

dwipreview_4.jpg

The conversion will be in resin and hopefully have a clear cast resin canopy and interior cockpit detail, all being well I intend to release various versions with appropriate decals as time progresses. I am aiming to have the first release March / April 2019. Price not confirmed as yet.

V.P.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:10 PM, jaw said:

Yes I accept that correcting Airfix’s error may only take a few moments, but surely the point is that with all their research resources they should not have  m ade the error in the first place! But that will not stop me from buying the kit.

John

John, criticising a British company is very unsporting. Please pull yourself together and criticise Far Eastern companies only.

Marc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, MarcV said:

John, criticising a British company is very unsporting. Please pull yourself together and criticise Far Eastern companies only.

Marc.

?!?!?!?

Not sure I like the direction this is going.

The location of a company shouldn't be an issue whatsover. The quality of their products is what counts. There are great quality products from companies all over the globe that are covered on this forum, please bear that in mind.

Back to the Hawker Hunter topic.

Is anybody knows if XtraDecals intend to print a 1/48 version of their 1/72 Ref No. 72214 ‘’International Hawker Hunters’’ ?

With the arrival soon of the brand new Airfix Hawker Hunter, I really think this could be a ‘’best seller’’ decal sheet !

Thanks for any info about it !

🤨

SharkOwl

6c772e5d3374f7b970f1c0edcb144afc.jpg

7a178b8d9403d18d2f0a4ca0f2ddb0cd.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

Is anybody knows if XtraDecals intend to print a 1/48 version of their 1/72 Ref No. 72214 ‘’International Hawker Hunters’’ ?

They'd be daft not to but I suspect that the timing rather depends on whether the kit comes out as a pure F.6 or as an F.6/F.6A which would include the parabrake housing tailpipe, as you can see on the sheet, all of the options there require the later tail.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wez said:

They'd be daft not to but I suspect that the timing rather depends on whether the kit comes out as a pure F.6 or as an F.6/F.6A which would include the parabrake housing tailpipe, as you can see on the sheet, all of the options there require the later tail.

If you have the most recent Airfix Model World magazine No.97 / December 2018, there is a 7 pages build report of this kit and Andy Davies confirm on his analysis that the pieces for the FGA.9 version are also included on the sprues of the F6 version kit that will be available this December.

🙂

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

s anybody knows if XtraDecals intend to print a 1/48 version of their 1/72 Ref No. 72214 ‘’International Hawker Hunters’’ ?

Xtradecal don't seem to have any new releases planned.  For the first time I can remember there are no Future Releases on the website and haven't been for a couple of weeks.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

If you have the most recent Airfix Model World magazine No.97 / December 2018, there is a 7 pages build report of this kit and Andy Davies confirm on his analysis that the pieces for the FGA.9 version are also included on the sprues of the F6 version kit that will be available this December.

🙂

SharkOwl

That's as maybe, but he had a test shot didn't he, not the final release?  If you look at the box art, none of the options feature the parabrake.

Whilst I hope it comes with both tailpipes, we don't really know until we see the released kit do we?

• Like 1

If you have the Aeroclub Hunter correction set there is the parabrake housing for the FGA9 with that. Whether of course it matches up with the Hunter kit is another matter, but if John Adams was involved it should do. At the risk of being shouted at again for commenting on the Airfix Hunter from what I have seen it does not include the muzzle blast deflectors for the Mark 6 - but were they a retrofit at a later date?

John

1 hour ago, jaw said:

At the risk of being shouted at again for commenting on the Airfix Hunter from what I have seen it does not include the muzzle blast deflectors for the Mark 6 - but were they a retrofit at a later date?

John

I believe that they weren't fitted to all airframes and were a feature of certain roles. Roy Braybrooke tells us that altitude firing caused about a 0.6deg nose down trim change and if unchecked, reduced pitch damping at altitude caused this to increase above that figure. The deflectors cured this. Low altitude operations were less prone and deflectors were deleted to save drag for GA ops.

The Airfix kit as is represents an F.6 or a Mk.58 

When you add the Parabrake housing to get an F6a and FGA9 and overseas variants of these you also need the notched flaps..

The kit as is (Afawk) doesn’t provide those. Nor the big fuel tanks associated with the F6a.

If Airfix give us the bits to do a F6a they also (for a 1/48 model) give us the bits for a FGA9. So I suspect someone at Airfix HQ twigged that and hence the release is ammended to an F6 only.

If the initial release goes well I’m sure they will follow up with another couple of boxing’s of the kit like the meteor or P-51.