1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

7 hours ago, hopkp said:

Sorry Airfix, but the way the wing has been done is a deal-breaker for me.

A requirement to cut up the wing from the F.6 and install what's essentially a conversion just isn't good enough in 2019/20 for a kit costing the best part of £40. Major fail in my view..... 

Aren't we supposed to be modellers rather than kit assemblers?

• Like 6

For what it's worth, I quite like this boxing and although it requires a little bit of surgery to achieve a straight wing Hunter it is also the first kit that I can recall to cater for such.

Now can I ask a question regarding the Swedish J-34 Humbrol colour call-outs. Do the Swedish colour authorities on here recognise Hu163 and Hu87 as good matches for the upper and lower colours? This scheme does look quite tasty to my eye.

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

:Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty:

Would buy this kit just for the box art. Hadn't seen such a beautiful box art in over a century now.

I imagine the panic of the bloke aboard that fishing trawler when he spotted the fighter approaching (at full speed?), close to the sea level; "Skipper, we're under attack...!!!" Of course he relaxed and started waving at the pilot when he saw the trawler was not in danger. :lol:

Yeh, he did...

Unc2

PS: You do see the fisherman on the starboard deck, waving at the passing aircraft, yeh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Denford said:

Aren't we supposed to be modellers rather than kit assemblers?

I'm an unashamed kit assembler and always have been! Got no interest in hacking things apart, adding conversion parts and trying to reinstate lost surface details, etc. - life's just too short; my goal is always to get to the painting stage as quickly as possible as that's the bit I really enjoy. 

Each to their own, just saying this one's not for me. Others are obviously OK with Airfix's cost-cutting approach and best of luck to them.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

There is a dedicated thread for the F.4 release

My bad for having posted in this thread... But I see double standards. The Eduard 109 for example gets one single thread for all variants. The Airfix Hunter a separate one for the F4 and F6. Then the F6 gets renamed to include the Aerocraft two seat conversion, while Aerocraft have their own thread in the manufactures forum?  I know it’s not a science, but you get my drift.

I vote for both threads to be merged and just renamed ‘Airfix 1/48 Hunter’ 😅

G

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now can I ask a question regarding the Swedish J-34 Humbrol colour call-outs. Do the Swedish colour authorities on here recognise Hu163 and Hu87 as good matches for the upper and lower colours? This scheme does look quite tasty to my eye.

Cheers.. Dave 

I quite agree with Rabbit Leader, the Swedish scheme is quite attractive, especially without all the lumps bumps and "hangy-on" bits that littered the Hunter in later years.

The only references that I have seen for the upper colour has always been "Dark Olive Green" with "Blue Grey" for the lower surfaces.  I have a feeling that Airfix went for Hu163 (Dark Green) as the nearest in the Humbrol range of colours that was a near enough match.  

Personally, when I build that particular marque, I will be selecting one of the many variations on Olive Drab that are in my paintbox for the upper surfaces.  Hu87 is, IMHO, a good match for the undersurfaces.

RAF Flying Review December 1958 (I think) :-

spacer.png

Copyright IPMS Stockholm :-

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis, that does help. It also appears that Airfix’s initial scheme suggestions (which still show on their website) have changed to what was reported in the latest Workbench blog. The Belgian scheme is no longer in Red Devils aerobatic colours and has reverted to a standard in service aircraft, whilst the Swedish scheme goes from Blue ‘M’ in what appears to be OD upper colours to yellow ‘K’ in DG? The RAF Suez aircraft is however still the same. 

Anyway, a nice package and one I’m eager to purchase. Can we have a Rhodesian scheme option when the FGA.9 gets a mention in a few weeks time? 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 12/21/2019 at 7:58 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Dennis, that does help. It also appears that Airfix’s initial scheme suggestions (which still show on their website) have changed to what was reported in the latest Workbench blog. The Belgian scheme is no longer in Red Devils aerobatic colours and has reverted to a standard in service aircraft, whilst the Swedish scheme goes from Blue ‘M’ in what appears to be OD upper colours to yellow ‘K’ in DG? The RAF Suez aircraft is however still the same. 

Anyway, a nice package and one I’m eager to purchase. Can we have a Rhodesian scheme option when the FGA.9 gets a mention in a few weeks time? 

Cheers.. Dave 

The realisation that the Red Devil’s F4 was just a Museum aircraft

6 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The realisation that the Red Devil’s F4 was just a Museum aircraft

Could they have not left this decal option and suggest to leave the dogtooth wing as is to create an F.6? If I witnessed correctly, this kit still comes with two sets of tailpipes so I suspect its for the F.4 and F.6 versions. Does anyone know if that's right? 

Cheers.. Dave  

Announced from our Swiss friends of ‘’Matterhorn Circle’’ for this month of December, two decal sheets

at 1/48 covering the entire operational career of the Hunter within the Swiss Air Force:

MC48019

Hawker Hunter Mk. 58 – early years / 1958 -1979

MC48020

Hawker Hunter Mk. 58 / T Mk. 68 – later years / 1958 – 1994

Also available at 1/32 and 1/72 Scales !

Hyper Detailed Decals Art Work !

:super:

SharkOwl

Reference : http://www.mc-one.ch/Documents/new/new-1.htm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

Announced from our Swiss friends of ‘’Matterhorn Circle’’ for this month of December, two decal sheets

at 1/48 covering the entire operational career of the Hunter within the Swiss Air Force:

MC48019

Hawker Hunter Mk. 58 – early years / 1958 -1979

MC48020

Hawker Hunter Mk. 58 / T Mk. 68 – later years / 1958 – 1994

Also available at 1/32 and 1/72 Scales !

Hyper Detailed Decals Art Work !

:super:

SharkOwl

Reference : http://www.mc-one.ch/Documents/new/new-1.htm

Oh Yes Please, Please. Please !!! - but who does the larger tanks carried by Swiss Hunters in their later years ?

Dennis

35 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

but who does the larger tanks carried by Swiss Hunters in their later years ?

Up until reading this I'd always assumed they were the same large tanks as carried by the FGA.9's, you learn something new every day!

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

but who does the larger tanks carried by Swiss Hunters in their later years ?

Perhaps try to obtain an extra 'spare' set and cut and paste them together to achieve the longer length. That's if that's all it takes? 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 12/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, hopkp said:

Sorry Airfix, but the way the wing has been done is a deal-breaker for me.

A requirement to cut up the wing from the F.6 and install what's essentially a conversion just isn't good enough in 2019/20 for a kit costing the best part of £40. Major fail in my view..... 

Die-casts are available for people who don't want to do their own work

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There are at least two types of 'large' tank. One looks like a long version of the standard tank, complete with tail fins, and there is the more bulbous type without fins that has a depression in the top of it where it meets the pylon and a bracing strut, but as far as I'm aware both of those types were used by the RAF and the Swiss.

10983266175_92a98ae6e9_b.jpgHawker Hunter F.58A J-4104 G-PSST 'Miss Demeanour' ex J-4104 by James Thomas, on Flickr

32534054026_a6aac40731_b.jpgHawker Hunter F.58 ZZ191 ex J-4058 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
Spelling

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I think you're right there @Wez, misinterpretation on my part.

So guessing that is type that Dennis is meaning?

Like I said, we learn something new every day.

5 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Oh Yes Please, Please. Please !!! - but who does the larger tanks carried by Swiss Hunters in their later years ?

Dennis

Hello,

You can purchase the PJ production kit, it contains everything you need for the Swiss version.

150 gallons

Edited by Barbouille

4 hours ago, Barbouille said:

Hello,

You can purchase the PJ production kit, it contains everything you need for the Swiss version.

150 gallons

Thank Barbouille - Ordered !!

Regards

Dennis

This is what I am getting from PJ Productions :- 

spacer.png

Barbouille has already answered my original question - many thanks - the are 150gal tanks, one of a series of tanks manufactured by Rolls-Riyce and under licence in Europe, with the centre body in different lengths to accommodate different capacities,  but with common nose and tail.  The RAF never used then as far as I am aware but in 1960, the Hunter T.66 G-APUX demonstrated similar tanks but of 350gal capacity at Farnborough.  These were much longer and stuck out in front of the intakes.

I'll sort out some photos of Swiss Hunters the late Dick Ward sent me and post them plus a few more I intend to build.  To date I am going to require at least 4 x F.4's and another three F.6's. I already have two Meteor NF.12's en route from the Big H.

2020 looks to be an expensive year - and its not even here yet !!.  

Regards again

Dennis

Edit Again - Also going to need a few sets from Ali of pylons, gear, flaps and not forgetting the nose wheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaw said:

Airfix have not bothered to correct the wingtips on the F4. 

John

For Airfix to rectify the fault in the tool, the production run would have to be stopped and the tool makers modify the tool, removing metal isn't a problem, but adding or filling in a void on a tool takes a fair bit of time, I cannot see Airfix stopping the production run for a week or so(that's being optimistic) of a hot selling kit for a slight modification when all it takes is a few rubs on a sanding stick

• Like 2