1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

54 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I can feel the money draining from my account already!

That looks superb.

Will a T.8M nose cone be available in the future?

Yes that is the plan, I do hope to do this and a few other options in the future, sales and interest dependant. I have done as much design as possible to allow for the various options in the future.

Ali

• Like 3

Well here are some picture of the proto-type ready for roll out at SMW Telford at the weekend.

The model shows the T.7 Conversion set, the undercarriage set, the flying surfaces set and the wing pylon set, all available from my stand at Telford on the weekend.

Apologies for the lousy lighting / pictures, getting dark far too early in Scotland these days..........

If you are at Telford please come and say hello EVEN if you do not buy anything it is always good to put faces to names....... thats if I can remember them all.

SEE YOU THERE.........Ali

IMG_4341

IMG_4342

IMG_4343

IMG_4344

IMG_4346

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

The Hunter sets are now shipping, most of them have already been mailed out, just a few more to be sent in the next few days.

Thanks to all that have supported the project and that have already purchased, I look forward to seeing some built up soon.

There is now new and improved instructions available to down load off the website.

Ali

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi Guys

The Hunter sets are now shipping, most of them have already been mailed out, just a few more to be sent in the next few days.

Thanks to all that have supported the project and that have already purchased, I look forward to seeing some built up soon.

There is now new and improved instructions available to down load off the website.

Ali

Mine arrived today thanks, very nice it is too, I just need the kit and some time to crack on with it (that won't be until next October at the earliest).

Xtradecals new Hunter F.4 /FR.71A sheet released:

spacer.png

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/decals/x48213reviewbg_1.htm

with a. o. correct markings for FACh FR.71A #734 as seen during the last service years 1994-95 :)

However, it seems that it was too late to update the instruction sheet, so please read the comments concerning #734 in Brett's review.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diego said:

with a. o. correct markings for FACh FR.71A #734 as seen during the last service years 1994-95 :)

However, it seems that it was too late to update the instruction sheet, so please read the comments concerning #734 in Brett's review.

Mike McEvoy's old mount on 67 Squadron!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Diego said:

Only one option for the Chilean birds? I was expecting hi-vis Chilean markings even for the T Mk72s... -----> :weep: <-----

Yeh, me was, Diego. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!

Cheers,

Unc2

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Only one option for the Chilean birds? I was expecting hi-vis Chilean markings even for the T Mk72s... -----> :weep: <-----

Yeh, me was, Diego. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!

Cheers,

Unc2

Fortunately, Xtradecals managed to include the correct markings for #734, as the original project had some flaws (as you can still see on the instructions) being a mix of 1980s and 1990s markings...now you have the correct "late" FACh Hunter markings available for the very first time :)

Anyway, for the two seater, you will still need Ali's beautiful conversion....with two cannons....AFAIK already planned...and be sure you will not be disappointed.

Other FACh Hunters in desert and grey schemes will be covered on the HDL sheet, so at the end there will be a complete panorama of these  beautiful birds in FACh service. 

Greetings

Diego

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Airfix, but the way the wing has been done is a deal-breaker for me.

A requirement to cut up the wing from the F.6 and install what's essentially a conversion just isn't good enough in 2019/20 for a kit costing the best part of £40. Major fail in my view..... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hopkp said:

A requirement to cut up the wing from the F.6 and install what's essentially a conversion just isn't good enough in 2019/20 for a kit costing the best part of £40. Major fail in my view..... 

I’m actually not unhappy with the way it’s done. As long as the cuts can be done precisely and the new parts fit of course. 

I particularly like the flexibility this offers. Especially because some early F6’s were delivered with straight wing, and some F4’s (eg some Belgians) had the dog tooth retrofitted... So now we can easily mix and match to get the particular airframe we want 😀

G

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hopkp said:

Sorry Airfix, but the way the wing has been done is a deal-breaker for me.

Think yourself lucky that Airfix have considered this option at all.  I still have occasional nightmares about trying to do this conversion on the Academy kit using laminated plasticard and filler before resin conversion parts became available.

I’ll admit though that I’d have preferred it if the cut line could be coincident with a panel joint on the full-size jet but that could have been discarded due to moulding limitations.  However the exercise of some modelling skill, patience and maybe some filler should produce a perfectly acceptable result.  I’m certainly looking forward to getting my grubby paws on one or several.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Think yourself lucky that Airfix have considered this option at all.  I still have occasional nightmares about trying to do this conversion on the Academy kit using laminated plasticard and filler before resin conversion parts became available.

I’ll admit though that I’d have preferred it if the cut line could be coincident with a panel joint on the full-size jet but that could have been discarded due to moulding limitations.  However the exercise of some modelling skill, patience and maybe some filler should produce a perfectly acceptable result.  I’m certainly looking forward to getting my grubby paws on one or several.

Point taken, but if other manufacturers can mould full alternative parts (Eduard's 109G series would be a recent example) I fail to understand why moulding a new wing would be beyond Airfix's capabilities.....

9 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Point taken, but if other manufacturers can mould full alternative parts (Eduard's 109G series would be a recent example) I fail to understand why moulding a new wing would be beyond Airfix's capabilities.....

I'm sure they're quite capable, and also sure they decided not to bump the price up a tenner to pay for it.

Paul.

• Like 4

There is a dedicated thread for the F.4 release.

It makes perfect sense for Airfix to have done what they have with the leading edge extensions, far cheaper than having three of the largest mouldings in the box replaced. It would mean a whole new major molding block.

The F.6 is going to far more desirable to the masses anyway, so having to do a little extra work to make the F.4 is entirely justifiable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/classic-airfix-jetfest-to-end-2019?sfns=mo

Boxart, sprue shots and decal options for the F4/F5/J34 confirmed!

Thanks Airfix for including a Belgian option 😀🙏🏻

Also seems like a GA.11 nose on one of the sprues? 

G

I was planning to buy the F6, a set of decals and search for a conversion, and now Airfix delivers an almost ready-cooked Belgian F4. Happy me. Now tempted to buy the F6, decals (for a F6) AND a F4. Or two F4/F5/J34 boxings, as I like Swedish markings

Edited by PattheCat

1 hour ago, hopkp said:

Eduard and Hasegawa, to name but two, have taken some flak over the years for "over engineering" kits to accommodate various versions of a particular aircraft.  Airfix have taken a cost-efficuent route without having to almost duplicate 3 of the biggest bits in the kit.