1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

5 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

One small thing I noticed is the shape of the tip of the ailerons. I think they should be similarly shaped to the elevators and rudder, with that unique ‘curve’ at the trailing edge tip...

They are,

7099579899_2f8c9dc7f2_c.jpgHunter GA.11 XE685 861 VL 18 April 2012 by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is a GA.11 but certainly the same on F.6, T.7, F.58

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/4/2018 at 7:15 PM, jaw said:

I shall have a look at the Hunter F5 at the Tangmere Museum next Monday when I am there to check out whether the ailerons and other control surfaces are tapered at the tips.

John

I did have a look and the wingtips and elevators are curved at the end as shown in the photo of the GA11 above.

John

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2018 at 05:52, 71chally said:

They are,

Hunter GA.11 XE685 861 VL 18 April 2012 by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is a GA.11 but certainly the same on F.6, T.7, F.58

I often wondered what that spike on the end of the wing was for - now all is revealed!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

Airfix has modified its approach to market its future Hawker Hunter model at 1:48. The model that will be available next November is now

focused on the F6 version of the Hawker Hunter with three specific decorations for F6.

Here is the presentation of this model on the Airfix website:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/hawker-hunter-f6-1-48.html

A Hawker Hunter F6.A / FGA 9 version of this model would be marketed by Airfix in the middle of 2019.

I doubt, however, that Airfix has (costly) modified its initial mould to remove specific parts to F6A & FGA 9 versions that we can see on photos

of the sprues proposed earlier this year (photos found on this thread and here below) and I am quite sure that these parts will be included

in the model marketed in November.

Please share any information you may have about it that could invalidate or confirm this info!

🤨

SharkOwl

Hawker Hunter Fan.

5b282de5e4d4c078bf160ba5405d8f51.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 4:04 AM, SharkOwl said:

Please share any information you may have about it that could invalidate or confirm this info!

It's cheap and easy to gate off sections of a sprue.  See: Revell's 1/72 Hunter kit, which gated off the FGA.9 parts.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, SharkOwl said:

5b282de5e4d4c078bf160ba5405d8f51.jpg

:hmmm:Hmph... judging by the picture; the fuselage on it, this new Airfix kit could easily be the basis for converting it to a T.7 using the Heritage resin conversion set, yeh?

What do you blokes think? Methinks it'll fit.

Yeh, me does.

Cheers,

Unc2 

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:hmmm:Hmph... judging by the picture; the fuselage on it, this new Airfix kit could easily be the basis for converting it to a T.7 using the Heritage resin conversion set, yeh?

What do you blokes think? Methinks it'll fit.

Yeh, me does.

Cheers,

Unc2 

Personally I'd say wait a while. The kit breakdown makes me think there will be an early type release to cover at least one flavour of the F.1/2/4/5/GA.11 versions and that should hopefully provide you with the different upper fuselage and airbrake to suit a T.7/8 conversion better if not see a kit of that type released in the future. Patience my friend ;) 

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Personally I'd say wait a while. The kit breakdown makes me think there will be an early type release to cover at least one flavour of the F.1/2/4/5/GA.11 versions

I think the biggest tell is what appears to be a Harley light cover on the clear sprue - but we need to wait until November to see

• Like 2

Box art and more.

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-flight-of-airfix-hawker-features

A flying thing of beauty

b_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_artwork_re

Exclusive first reveal of the beautiful artwork which will accompany the release of our new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 kit

As far as the Airfix modeller is concerned, there are just so many interesting projects on the go at the moment, that each edition of Workbench is packed with updates and information from new model releases which are all fast approaching their scheduled release dates. One new kit which will certainly be high on the future build schedule of many a modeller is the 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 and this magnificent new kit takes a huge step towards its much-anticipated release with the unveiling of the captivating artwork which will grace the box presentation of this model. There will be few who argue against the Hunter being considered one of the most attractive jet aircraft ever to take to the skies, however, the first Hawker designed jet to enter RAF service was much more than just a looker, proving to be an exceptionally versatile aircraft and a huge export success for the British aviation industry. With its sleek lines and distinctive saw tooth wing leading edge, the F.6 was the definitive fighting version of the Hunter, a real pilots aeroplane and one which provided the Royal Air Force with one of the most capable jet aircraft of the early post war era.

For an aircraft which looks as capable as the Hunter and one which impressively continues to support military flying operations to this day, it is interesting to note that the prototype aircraft took to the air only 12 years after the first flight of the world’s first jet powered aircraft, the Heinkel He 178 back in 1939, an aircraft which looked very different to the sleek and purposeful Hunter. With many notable ‘firsts’ to its name, a specially prepared example of the Hunter managed to capture the World Speed Record for Britain and with 1972 Hunters eventually being produced, these magnificent aircraft would go on to have long and successful operational careers, many serving in the colours of several international air arms and some being involved in combat operations. Even though the Hunter was designed as a capable fighting aeroplane, the one word which is almost universally associated with the aircraft is beautiful – this really is a most attractive aeroplane and one which makes many contemporary designs seem a little dull by comparison. As mankind finally achieved a mastery of the air, could the Wright brothers have ever imagined that such a handsome aircraft as the Hunter would one day allow a man to visit the playground of the gods and soar amongst the clouds for a few precious moments? This may sound a little fanciful, but when admiring the impressive artwork featured above, it is easy for us to imagine just how extraordinary an experience this must be for the relatively small number of people who are fortunate enough to earn their wings and keeps the rest of us dreaming of one day becoming a pilot ourselves.

c_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

The lead scheme presents this attractive RAF No.63 Squadron Hunter, which was adorned with this distinctive tail as part of the squadron’s Battle of Britain commemorations

The new Hawker Hunter F.6 box artwork features an aircraft which benefitted from distinctive tail markings, applied in commemoration of the pilots of the famous ‘Few’ who fought so gallantly during the savage air battles during the summer of 1940.  Hawker Hunter XE597 was constructed as an F.6 fighter at Hawker’s Kingston-upon-Thames factory in 1956 and taken on strength with the Royal Air Force on 31st August the same year. It joined RAF No.63 Squadron at Waterbeach on 7th November 1956, where it was coded ‘A’ and later becoming the commanders aircraft. In preparation for the 18th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Squadron’s annual Airshow commitments, it was specially presented with a striking black and yellow checked tail, which must have looked rather spectacular on this already handsome aeroplane. XE597 was photographed wearing this scheme at a number of events during 1958, although it is not known how long it retained the scheme following the end of that Airshow season. On 6th May 1959, XE597 returned to Hawker Siddeley for conversion to FGA.9 and a new career in the close air support role.

d_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_artwork_re

A state of alert – this is how the Hunter will look when it greets you in your local model store from next month

Hawker Hunter XE597 would go on to enjoy almost 30 years in Royal Air Force service, operating in the colours of Nos. 66, 63 and 56 Squadrons as an F.6 and Nos. 208, 54 and 1 Squadrons following conversion to FGA.9. It would end its service career with No.229 Operational Conversion Unit at Chivenor and finally the Hunter Tactical Weapons Unit at Brawdy. Following the end of its flying days, it would spend time as RAF Bentley Priory’s gate guardian and finally an instructional airframe, before being scrapped, with just the nose section surviving. This has now been beautifully restored and can be seen displaying at Airshows and cockpit meets up and down the country to this day, helping to bring the many virtues of the Hawker Hunter to a new generation of admirers.

The Hawker Hunter is undoubtedly one of the most significant aircraft to see service with the Royal Air Force and a genuine classic amongst post war jet aviation types. Its handsome good looks are about to woo a new modelling audience and produce a stylish addition to many a display of model aircraft. Hawker Hunter F.6 A09185 is fast approaching its scheduled November release date and if you were hoping to secure one of these magnificent new models, you need to act now. As has been the case with many recent new tooling releases, we expect this kit to sell out really quickly and it may be several months before further kits become available. To ensure you don’t miss out on one of the first batch of kits, please contact your usual model supplier or head for the Airfix website and hunt down your Hunter now.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nice artwork. For such a beautifully shaped aircraft I've personally always felt some manufacturers have struggled to capitalise on her lines for their box art.

• Like 2

Wow! Just WOW! That box art is stunning; absolutely a thing of beauty - I think amongst the best I've seen.  I'm so pleased I preordered this one now (at least I think I did - better check..), I suspect  it's going to be a best seller for Airfix and with plenty of scope for re-boxing in future years.

Rich 

• Like 1

nice artwork,

but the black and yellow checkers don't really do it for me....

maybe I do not understand, 

but what is so special about this scheme? also Academy have it in theirs...

I imagine literally hundreds of other possible markings!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

...I imagine literally hundreds of other possible markings!!

Yes and that's just for RAF machines. There's already a few sheets of aftermarket decals coming out and I'm sure plenty more will follow.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2018 at 6:38 PM, Admiral Puff said:

I often wondered what that spike on the end of the wing was for - now all is revealed!

Naw, that's just some pilot type being creative.  In fact it's a legacy of the Hart family- Camm planned ahead for the inevitable Army Co-operation derivative; that's for message pick-up.

• Haha 4

Can categorically say that they're not going to do an F.2 - cos we have the only complete one and they HAVENT contacted us - and we have ALL the markings details for 257sqn  in digital format ready AND would definitely have helped them FOC... just saying ;) 

Did you hear that Airfix... ahem, cough cough... 

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=64

TT

(And would supply biscuits)

• Like 5

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, exdraken said:

nice artwork,

Yeh, which means he is actually to buy no less than six or possibly eight kits of this one. ;)

How many are "them" going to be, mate Werner?

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Incidentally; any news regarding that T.7 conversion set by Alley Cat for this kit as of yet?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, exdraken said:

nice artwork,

maybe I do not understand, 

but what is so special about this scheme? also Academy have it in theirs...

I imagine literally hundreds of other possible markings!!

‘ A Hunter is not a Meteor, really colorful squadron markings are very rare. Those black and yellow checks my be the only example on a Hunter, accounts for their popularity. I’d be happy to be proved wrong but years of searching leaves me thinking that Squadron Hunters are pretty dull birds, squeezed between the gorgeous Meteors and even more stunning Lightning’s. Even the dull grey Tornados and Typhoons sport some really spectacular anniversary schemes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

A Hunter is not a Meteor, really colorful squadron markings are very rare.

I slightly disagree with this view and slightly agree with it.

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Squadron Hunters are pretty dull birds, squeezed between the gorgeous Meteors and even more stunning Lightning’s.

Granted the RAF/RAuxAF Meteors and the early Lightnings were particularly flamboyant markings but I think the Hunters particularly the F.1 through F.6, are generally from a quite colourful period (by RAF standards), along with Vampire, Venom and Sabre, I'd agree though that the markings became more sombre towards the ends of the sixties.

Edited by Wez
clarification

The T.7 trainers in polyurethane aluminium finishes with colourful trim were by far the prettiest.

For that reason my (Revell 1/32) F.6 and FGA.9 are going to be in high speed silver à la T.7. Not technically accurate, but in a parallel universe they were (of course) just like that. Prolly No.56 Sqn and another with chequered sashes and wingtips.

Tony