• XF447/H 65 Sqn RAF Duxford 1960;
  • XF383 12 Sqn RAF Honnington 1984.

X48189_5.jpg?t=1523822091

- ref. X48191 -   RAF Hunters F.6 pt.2

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48191

• XE550/R 93 Sqn Flt/Lt P.Hine RAFG Jever 1960;
  • XE548/W 263 Sqn RAF Wattisham 1958;
  • XG202/H 111 Sqn RAF Wattisham;
  • XE587 Aircraft & Armament Experimental Establishment Farnborough late 1960s;
  • XE601 AAEE Boscombe Down 1994;
  • XE544/V 66 Sqn RAF Ackilington 1960;
  • XJ680/A 20 Sqn RAFG Gutersloh 1959;
  • XE645/P 54 Sqn RAF Stradishall 1959;
  • XF526/C 56 Sqn RAF Waterbeach 1959.

X48191_7.jpg?t=1527891602

V.P.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Fresh news.

Sources:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/amphibious-workhorse-of-the-fleet

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/hawker-hunter-f6-1-48.html

Post war jet perfection

k_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

As well as being one of the most attractive jets to see Royal Air Force service, the Hawker Hunter F.6 was also an extremely capable interceptor fighter

There are some aircraft for which the use of the old adage ‘If it looks right, it is right’ seems to be more appropriate than others and that is most certainly the case when describing the Hawker Hunter. As a development of the earlier Hawker Sea Hawk, the Hunter was the first Hawker designed jet to enter service with the Royal Air Force and proved to be a significant improvement over the first generation jet aircraft which were developed during the latter stages of the second World War. A sleek and relatively simple looking design, the Hunter was a fast, manoeuvrable and reliable interceptor, which proved not only to be a significant increase in capability for the Royal Air Force, but also an important export success, seeing service with at least nineteen overseas air arms. Astonishingly, even though the first Hunters entered service with the RAF as far back as the summer of 1954, a small number of aircraft are still regularly involved in providing support for current British military operations, acting as high speed radar targets and threat simulation aircraft.

The Hawker Hunter is undoubtedly one of the most aesthetically appealing jet aircraft ever to take to the skies and the announcement of our intention to release a newly tooled example of the Hunter F.6 in 1/48th scale at the beginning of the year was an ideal way to start 2018. Obviously a proud moment for the Airfix team, it seems as if we have hit something of a modelling ‘sweet spot’ with this new tooling, as it has attracted unprecedented levels of interest since this first announcement and is clearly one model that many of our readers are looking forward to building later in the year. We are pleased to be in a position to bring you an update from this highly anticipated project and confirm the three scheme options which will be included with the first release from this new Hunter tooling. The eagle eyed amongst you will spot that this is perhaps a little more interesting than usual, as it includes information which differs from the details supplied at the time of the original launch announcement. Although rare, this is not altogether unheard of and is the result of new product announcements and copy deadline requirements for the annual Airfix catalogue. In some cases, the development team can come across certain issues with the originally intended scheme options which necessitate a change, or simply find a scheme which they feel would be more appealing to modellers. Let’s take a closer look at the three scheme options which will accompany this first 1/48th scale Hunter F.6 release:

Hawker Hunter F.6 XE597/A, No.63 Squadron Royal Air Force, Waterbeach, England, September 1958 – (Commander’s aircraft specially marked for the 1958 Battle of Britain display).

l_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

m_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

The main scheme option included with this first release marks a particularly striking aircraft which was specially decorated for the 1958 Battle of Britain commemorations

Arguably, the definitive version of the Hunter proved to be the F.6 Fighter variant which incorporated a number of significant improvements over earlier Hunters and highlighted the adaptability of the basic Hawker design. The constant desire for greater speed and fuel efficiency resulted in Rolls-Royce developing the Avon 203, almost a complete re-design of the earlier engine and yielded an additional 33 percent greater thrust for the Hunter pilot to access. The F.6 also incorporated an improved fuel management system and tank layout, as well as introducing the distinctive outer-wing leading edge extension, which gave the wing a saw-tooth appearance and was developed to improve the aircraft’s high speed stability. The Hunter F.6 was a thoroughbred fighting aeroplane in every respect, with the design changes only serving to enhance its growing reputation and certainly not detracting from its aesthetic appeal – this was a particularly beautiful looking aeroplane.

Hawker Hunter XE597 was constructed as an F.6 fighter at Hawker’s Kingston-upon-Thames factory in 1956 and taken on strength with the Royal Air Force on 31st August the same year. It joined RAF No.63 Squadron at Waterbeach on 7th November 1956, where it was coded ‘A’ and later becoming the commanders aircraft. In preparation for the 18th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Squadron’s annual Airshow commitments, it was specially presented with a striking black and yellow checked tail, which must have looked rather spectacular on this already handsome aeroplane. XE597 was photographed wearing this scheme at a number of events during 1958, although it is not known how long it retained the scheme following the end of that Airshow season. On 6th May 1959, XE597 returned to Hawker Siddeley for conversion to FGA.9 and a new career in the close air support role.

Hawker Hunter XE597 would go on to enjoy almost 30 years in Royal Air Force service, operating in the colours of Nos. 66, 63 and 56 Squadrons as an F.6 and Nos. 208, 54 and 1 Squadrons following conversion to FGA.9. It would end its service career with No.229 Operational Conversion Unit at Chivenor and finally the Hunter Tactical Weapons Unit at Brawdy. Following the end of its flying days, it would spend time as RAF Bentley Priory’s gate guardian and finally an instructional airframe, before being scrapped, with just the nose section surviving. This has now been beautifully restored and can be seen displaying at Airshows and cockpit meets up and down the country to this day, helping to bring the many virtues of the Hawker Hunter to a new generation of admirers.

Hawker Hunter F.6 XF509/73, No.4 Flying Training School, Royal Air Force Valley, Anglesey, Wales, September, 1968.

n_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

o_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

This particular aircraft has special significance in the history of Airfix and served for a period as the striking ‘factory guardian’ outside the old Airfix/Humbrol factory in Hull

Many Hunter F.6 fighter aircraft would go on to enjoy a successful career in a flight training role, with a significant number of aircraft assigned to No.4 Flying Training School at RAF Valley, on Anglesey. The Hunters shared the airfield with the Folland Gnats which performed a similar role, however the Hunters operated as a separate unit from facilities on the opposite side of the airfield to the Gnats. Despite the Gnat being the main RAF training aircraft of the day, many felt that the Hunter was eminently more suited to performing this task for a number of reasons, not least of which was the diminutive nature of the Gnat having an impact on the stature of students able to fit into its small cockpit. Officially, the Hunters were to be used for the training of the many overseas students which passed through RAF Valley, however RAF student pilots who were too tall to squeeze themselves into the cockpit of the Gnat also found the Hunter much more accommodating to their requirements. Indeed, many pilots would actively try to ‘engineer’ their acceptance on a Hunter course, which became a highly prized commodity within the Royal Air Force. The scheme option detailed above is interesting as it shows a 4 FTS Hunter in the colours it wore during the late 1960s and early 1970s, with its standard camouflage and ‘white ball 73’ identification number. By 1973, the aircraft had been repainted into the famous high visibility red, white and grey training scheme adopted by the RAF.

As was the case with many Hawker Hunter airframes, XF509 would go on to have a long and varied flying career. Joining the Royal Air Force in 1957 with No.54 Squadron, it went on the serve with the Air Fighting Development Squadron and the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Bedford, as well as spending time as a chase aircraft with BAC at Filton. It finally arrived at RAF Valley and No.4 FTS to begin a significant period in a flight training role, before ending its RAF service as a gate guardian at RAF Chivenor. The closure of RAF Chivenor saw a rather unusual new assignment for XF509 and one which could not be more poignant in the context of this scheme review. It was purchased by the owners of Airfix/Humbrol and moved to their factory site in Hull, where it was erected in a similar manner to its former Chivenor role. Difficulties experienced by Airfix at that time and the eventual closure of the Hull site saw the Hunter falling into disrepair and suffering at the hands of local vandals, an extremely sad sight for anyone who had seen the aircraft resplendent in its former glory. Thankfully, the aircraft was later rescued and transported to Fort Paull Museum, where it is now in much better condition and preserved as an interesting piece of local aviation and industrial history for the Humberside area. It would be fantastic to think that some intrepid modellers might create a diorama of the old Airfix factory gate guardian using this new Hunter kit – we will certainly feature it in a future edition of Workbench if anyone did.

Hawker Hunter F.6 N-209, No.324 Squadron, Royal Netherlands Air Force, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, 1964.

r_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

s_new_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exclusives

The Hawker Hunter was a spectacular export success for Britain and wore the colours of at least nineteen overseas air arms

The Hunter went on to enjoy a long and successful career with the Royal Air Force, only replaced in the role of interceptor by the spectacular English Electric Lightning, but also going on to fulfil several other roles for which this fantastic aeroplane was well suited. It also proved to be a spectacular export success for the British aviation industry, with no fewer than nineteen overseas air forces using the type and manufacturing licences granted to both Belgium and Holland. Indeed, some Hunters would go on to fly in the colours of several air arms, with a small number then going on to civilian operators following the end of their military careers. The Dutch established a significant joint production licence arrangement with Belgium to build 96 Hunter F.4s and 93 F.6s for the Koninklijke Luchtmacht and 112 F.4s and 144 F.6s for the Belgian Air Force -Fokker built all of the Dutch Hunters, as well as some of the Belgian machines. Both Holland and Belgium were to receive a complete example of a British built Hunter F.4 to serve as a manufacturing pattern for this significant project.

The Dutch operated the Hunter F.6 and some two seat training variants until 1968, when the British jet was replaced by the American Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, many of which were also licence built by Fokkers. Large numbers of the former Dutch Air Force Hunters were sold back to Hawker Siddeley for refurbishment and future re-sale, serving to ensure the continued export success of the Hunter and its effective use by the air forces of many nations – this handsome aeroplane would go on to wear the markings of nineteen international air forces.

Hawker Hunter F.6 c/c 8811 (production number M-211) was built under licence by Fokker-Aviolanda and registered with the Luchtvaartuigregister on 2nd January 1958 as aircraft No.48. It was assigned to No.324 fighter Squadron, initially as 3P-P and spent time with the unit based at both Leeuwarden and Soesterberg air bases. Initially, Dutch Hunters had their squadron codes applied to the nose of the aircraft, with individual serial numbers displayed on the tail, just below the fin flash. In 1960, this system was changed in favour of the distinctive ‘N’ serial number displayed prominently on the nose of each aircraft. When the Dutch decided to replace their Hunters with the Lockheed F-104 Starfighters, these well maintained machines proved to be something of an aviation cash-cowfor Hawker Siddeley, who bought back large numbers of aircraft at reasonable prices, before selling them on to new owners for a handsome profit. This particular F.6 was sold back to Hawker Siddeley on 2nd July 1965 and converted to F. Mk. 56A standard for the Indian Air Force. Carrying the serial A-493, it was delivered to its new owners at the end of June 1967.

As one of the most successful jet aircraft ever produced by the British aviation industry, the Hawker Hunter must also qualify as one of the best looking aircraft to represent the Royal Air Force during the 100 years of its existence, with the strength of its basic design underlined by the fact that Hunters are still working on military contracts to this day. Having also served with many overseas air arms, the modeller will have no shortage of attractive schemes from which to select when building their example of this beautifully produced new 1/48th scale model representation from Airfix, the release of which will surely stimulate renewed interest in this beautiful aeroplane. Hawker Hunter F.6 A09185 is currently scheduled for a November release and we look forward to bringing you further updates from this exciting project as we approach this date.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Latest workbench - schemes have changed!

No longer have the schemes as originally planned, but now have:

• XE597/A - 63 Squadron - CO's aircraft specially marked for Battle of Britain display 1958
  • XF509/73 - 4 FTS , Anglesey Wales. 1968
  • N-209 - 324 Sqn - Royal Dutch Air Force 1964.

The comment from workbench for the change " In some cases, the development team can come across certain issues with the originally intended scheme options which necessitate a change, or simply find a scheme which they feel would be more appealing to modellers"

link: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/amphibious-workhorse-of-the-fleet

So no F.6A....

Which ties in with the earlier CAD showing only the flaps for the F.6 and the sprue shots with only one flap option and no big tanks...

Maybe they realised there’s more to a F.6A than the parabrake housing...

Or if if they give us those bits then you get effectively a FGA.9  (from a 1:48 Model point of view) so lower follow on boxing Sales..

Cue AM replacement flaps and big tanks???

So I wonder if this means a future boxing will be the F.6A and the FGA.9???

Edited by Plasto

Oh, me's sorry, but I just got to insist:

kSnmI2j.jpg

Is "they're" a Hunter 1/48 T.7 conversion set by AlleyCat available? You see where I circled in red the text above for the proposed decal sheet?

Please, someone tell me because I've just smashed up the bathroom like Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love! :lol:

Please?

Cheers,

Unc2

I’m so looking forward to this release 😊

The main thing I wish to see included (and I cannot see on the sprues) for this F6 release are the gun blast deflectors... Maybe a job for the aftermarket if Airfix doesn’t give us the option?

On 8/18/2018 at 6:17 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Is "they're" a Hunter 1/48 T.7 conversion set by AlleyCat available?

Available no, but I remember there was a rumor AlleyCat was working on a conversion... Let’s wait and see!

Guillaume

• Like 1

23 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

Available no, but I remember there was a rumor AlleyCat was working on a conversion... Let’s wait and see!

Okay, Guillaume; thanks a huge lot for your reply, my mate. Let's hope their conversion is even better than the awesome Heritage one.

Cheers bruh,

Unc2

• Like 1

Yes indeed the parabrake tail was included in the test shots. But maybe Airfix won’t include them in this offering? Time will tell. If they end up doing an FGA.9, I suspect and extra sprue with rockets, large tanks and cutout flaps will be included

13 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Let's hope their conversion is even better than the awesome Heritage one.

Well I wasn’t a big fan of this conversion set. I much preferred the Aeroclub. The fuselage cut was forward of the wing which made it much more forgiving if your cut was slightly off... The Heritage had you cut the fuselage mid-wing which left absolutely no room for error, and I found it a pain to get the whole thing together. I never finished mine.  If AlleyCat takes the ‘aeroclub approach’ and includes a resin canopy, I’m in for at least 6 or 7 sets 😇😇😇

On 8/22/2018 at 6:12 AM, guillaume320 said:

Yes indeed the parabrake tail was included in the test shots. But maybe Airfix won’t include them in this offering? Time will tell. If they end up doing an FGA.9, I suspect and extra sprue with rockets, large tanks and cutout flaps will be included

Well I wasn’t a big fan of this conversion set. I much preferred the Aeroclub. The fuselage cut was forward of the wing which made it much more forgiving if your cut was slightly off... The Heritage had you cut the fuselage mid-wing which left absolutely no room for error, and I found it a pain to get the whole thing together. I never finished mine.  If AlleyCat takes the ‘aeroclub approach’ and includes a resin canopy, I’m in for at least 6 or 7 sets 😇😇😇

Well, Revell followed exactly the same approach in 1/72nd scale, offering a F.6 and then, later, a FGA.9 boxing with the respective "new" parabrake equipped exhaust pipe.

- I am therefore fairly sure that Airfix will offer a separate FGA.9 boxing during 2019 - the FGA.9 being considered as the "main" Hunter version - with all needed items.

- I also hope very much that they will also add a transparent nose  for the FR.10 recce version ( the same recce nose was used on both F.6 and FGA.9 airframes) - remember that Airfix has just done a new recce Meteor !!! 

- Finally, with a bit of luck, many modellers' dream  in form of mainstream kit of the T.7 two seater, could also become true thanks to Airfix...hopefully.

Greetings

Diego

Hi-Decal

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Diego said:

- Finally, with a bit of luck, many modellers' dream  in form of mainstream kit of the T.7 two seater, could also become true thanks to Airfix...hopefully.

And hopefully some love for the early F1 through F5.... small bore engines and straight leading edges. Maybe a manufacturer like AlleyCat would consider?  🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

13 hours ago, Diego said:

Well, Revell followed exactly the same approach in 1/72nd scale, offering a F.6 and then, later, a FGA.9 boxing with the respective "new" parabrake equipped exhaust pipe.

- I am therefore fairly sure that Airfix will offer a separate FGA.9 boxing during 2019 - the FGA.9 being considered as the "main" Hunter version - with all needed items.

- I also hope very much that they will also add a transparent nose  for the FR.10 recce version ( the same recce nose was used on both F.6 and FGA.9 airframes) - remember that Airfix has just done a new recce Meteor !!! 

Greetings

Diego

Hi-Decal

For a true FR.10 some modified cockpit components will also be required but it would still be most welcome. As would a T7/8!

5 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

And hopefully some love for the early F1 through F5.... small bore engines and straight leading edges. Maybe a manufacturer like AlleyCat would consider?  🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hopefully Airfix themselves will give that love if the F.6 and FGA.9 kits sell in sufficient volume. An F.4 from 112 squadron will continue a running theme with some of their existing kits rather nicely :D 

• Like 1

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/end-of-the-great-air-war

New 1/48th scale Hunter advances further

r_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

An exclusive first look for Workbench readers at a built sample from the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 tooling

Moving from one classic RAF aircraft to another, the previous edition of Workbench featured a much requested update from the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 project, where we brought you confirmation of the three scheme options which will accompany this release. The Hunter holds a particularly significant place in the history of British aviation and the announcement of our intention to add a newly tooled example of this model to our growing 1/48th scale range of kits at the beginning of the year was met with some excitement. We have been desperate to bring you substantial updates from the project all year, but for one reason or another, have found it challenging to do so – until now, that is! Like waiting for a bus, when they come, they come in pairs and we are pleased to be bringing you a further update from the project, in the shape of a fully built and completed sample from the test components of this new kit. You will note that the scheme in which this model has been completed is not one of the schemes we featured in our previous edition and will not be included in the kit, however, this build does illustrate that the project is advancing nicely, as well as allowing us all the opportunity to admire the work our designers have put in to making this fantastic new Hunter as accurate a representation as possible. These pictures are being published for the first time and as usual, Workbench readers will be the first to see them.

s_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

A stunning selection of images featuring the first full test build from the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 tooling

t_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

u_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

v_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

x_new_raf_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_on_air

The unmistakably clean lines of the Hawker Hunter F.6 will ensure this new 1/48th scale kit revives significant interest in this beautiful aircraft

Hawker Hunter F.6 XE584/W was produced as an F.6 fighter in 1956 and delivered to RAF No.263 Squadron just prior to the unit’s move to Stradishall in August 1957 and is a fine representation of an RAF Hunter from this period. It is interesting to note that this was one of the 22 Hunters which performed the world record aerobatic loop at the 1958 SBAC Farnborough Airshow, a record which still stands to this day. Although the ‘Black Arrows’ display team were part of No.111 Squadron, this incredible feat of airmanship required them to train with pilots of other RAF squadrons, as the number of aircraft in the proposed formation continued to grow, if for no other reason than to make it look more aesthetically appealing from the ground.

This particular Hunter would go on to be upgraded to FGA.9 standard, before being sold back to Hawker Siddeley Aviation for possible re-sale in 1976, as the international market in re-conditioned Hunters was booming at that time. It appears that no sale was secured for XE584 and it was scrapped, with just the nose section surviving – this became the subject of a concerted restoration project and can now be seen at cockpit meetings and other aviation events up and down the country.

The scheduled release month for the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 A09185 is November, although these consecutive project updates have just helped to make its release seem much closer. It won’t be too long before we are bringing you the box artwork reveal, which will be the final update before release and we very much look forward to including that in a future edition.

V.P.

• Like 5

One small thing I noticed is the shape of the tip of the ailerons. I think they should be similarly shaped to the elevators and rudder, with that unique ‘curve’ at the trailing edge tip...

A 10 second job with a sanding stick and I’m in no way saying Airfix should retool the parts, but I rather make people aware and avoid seeing Hunter after Hunter built with this ‘mistake’ 😅

Looking forward to hold the plastic in my hands!!!

I shall have a look at the Hunter F5 at the Tangmere Museum next Monday when I am there to check out whether the ailerons and other control surfaces are tapered at the tips.

John

Edited by jaw
typo
  • Like 1