1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

On 25/01/2018 at 7:08 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I don't think a component break where we see it in that photo would work.  The spine fairing on the Hunter T-bird runs halfway down the fuselage.

Actually it makes perfect sense. That's the forward transport joint on the real thing and was where the single seat cockpit is unbolted and the twin-tub version attached in its place. The spine panels can easily be a separate part.

• Like 1

Hmm, the test build shows a step where the canopy meets the spine, which looks like poor fitting of the canopy, but it's in the 3D design too, for example here: 

R_Exclusive_computer_rendered_3D_images_

The step is there because on the real thing the canopy overlaps with the spine: 
fhunter04.jpg

On the real thing it looks almost flush of course, on the kit the step is much more noticeable due to the thickness of the clear plastic part. I suspect that Airfix has already thin down the rear edge of the canopy a bit to reduce this step, but what they should also do is to create a recess on the spine to further reduce the step, this would not be that much of a compromise, as the real this has it too, notice how the top of the spine curve down to the cockpit rear bulkhead here:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C6JT5P/front-section-of-1950s-ex-raf-hawker-hunter-fighter-aircraft-at-a-C6JT5P.jpg

At least this 3D design doesn't show such features of the spine and the rear bulkhead:

O_Exclusive_computer_rendered_3D_images_

I hope that Airfix would double check and improve the design if still possible. A noticeable step at the joint is not only ugly, but it also means that the canopy is slightly misshapen(if the spine has the correct size).

Edited by delide

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Fresh news with sprues pics

Source: 

A British jet aeroplane of distinction

n_new_airfix_hawker_hunter_f6_pictures_e

This computer rendered image of the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 shows why this proved to be such a popular new tooling announcement within modelling circles

No collection of classic British post war jet aircraft would be complete without the inclusion of the hugely successful Hawker Hunter, which undoubtedly also competes for the title of ‘world’s most attractive aeroplane’. We are pleased to end this edition of Workbench by bringing you the latest update from our new 1/48th scale Hunter F.6 project and an exclusive first look for Workbench readers at the test frames produced by this splendid addition to our growing 1/48th scale range. Already showing the impressive detail levels included in what was essentially a quite simple aircraft design, the extra size associated with this scale is certain to display the beautifully clean lines of the Hunter to great effect and will surely become one of our most popular releases once the kit is available to modellers. Please remember that these images are of the test frame shots from the new 1/48th scale tool and may still be subject to alteration by the Airfix design team – the four frames show all the component pieces which will be included in the first release of this extremely impressive kit.

o_new_airfix_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exc

This series of images shows the latest test frame components from the new 1/48th scale Hawker Hunter F.6 tooling, one of our most popular recent new model announcements

p_new_airfix_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exc

r_new_airfix_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exc

s_new_airfix_hawker_hunter_f6_a09185_exc

Although a relatively simple aircraft to look at, the Hawker Hunter F.6 in this larger 1/48th scale will be a modelling thing of beauty and is destined to reside on many a workbench following its releas

This represents an exciting development in our new Hunter F.6 project and over the coming months, we intend to also bring you built model samples, scheme option details and the unveiling of the ever popular box artwork, which will signify that this highly anticipated new model is on schedule for its currently publicised October 2018 release date. Full details of this beautiful models can be found on the Airfix website, where you can ensure you have an example of our new Hawker Hunter F.6 as soon as it is released by registering your pre-order, or by speaking to your usual model supplier – excuse the pun, but this beauty is guaranteed to fly off the shelves once available. Please keep checking workbench for further details on this and other exciting new tooling projects which are destined to join the growing Airfix range during 2018 and beyond.

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At least the cockpit tub and seat look and  are to scale and not 1/70th or whatever the AcAdemy one was.  Still worth having I think regardless.  Also quite interesting in how the one piece wing and upper centre fuselage is designed.

59 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Great looking and interesting looking moldings there.

This doesn't look promising for multi variants from the kit, unless whole new fuselage and wing sprues are used.

It shouldn't be too hard to get an FGA.9, FR.10, and GA.11 out of this kit. There will be aftermarket conversions even if Airfix don't do specific releases of these variants.

• Like 2

Tailplanes, wing parts and underwing stores all on same sprue: looks like you could get an F4/GA11 with one sprue change - no new fuselage needed for these I think?

Also - slide moulded cannon troughs!

On 2/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Looks like there is a join behind the wing trailing edge. Which fits with something I saw on the CAD. And hinted at earlier - the side view in the CAD images shows a white line where these are on the model. Interestingly, they don’t show on the underside. Might be nothing, but the parts where you would expect to see the joins for the separate tail pipes are also showing as white lines.

R_Exclusive_computer_rendered_3D_images_

And it was because of the one piece upper wing!

Looking at that I forsee a lot of disappointed modellers.....

They'll be disappointed because Airfix will underestimate how big a seller the Hunter will be and won't produce enough to meet initial demand.

It looks superb, bring it on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

It shouldn't be too hard to get an FGA.9, FR.10, and GA.11 out of this kit. There will be aftermarket conversions even if Airfix don't do specific releases of these variants.

yeah agreed, I was hoping the extended leading edges would have been separate parts (like their Lightnings, and which the CAD implies) for easier boxings of straight leading edge Hunters.

As it is it would need a whole new wing and upper fuselage assembly for earlier variants.  But thinking on it, that might not be a bad thing if it allows for the different mid fuselage vents etc for the Avon 100 series Hunters to be molded in. 

Looks like the smaller jet pipe area would be straightforward for aftermarket manufacturers, if Airfix don't have it planned already.

Looks a cracking kit though, and I'm sure their will be multiple builds!

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Is that a GA11 style arrestor hook in the middle on the left hand side?

In the words of Henry, the mild mannered janitor (AKA Hong Kong Phooey), "Could be!"

I'd still rather have an F.4 though (instead of a GA.11)

Edited by Wez

I'm not sue that is long enough for the hook, the real one is appreciably longer than the weapons pylons.  Compare that kit part to the pylons , u/c doors etc.

It kind of looks like another ram or actuator to me, but hopefully you are right - would love to do some GA/PR.11s!

Edited by 71chally

Very happy with what has been shown...

Issues about multi-version tooling aside, the thing that worries me at first sight is the apparent lack of option for gun blast deflectors. Were those never seen on the F6? Was this FGA9 only?

Still extremely happy, now hoping they will use their ‘good’ plastic for the production version 🙏🏻

International Hawker Hunters !

Do you agree with me that XtraDecal of Uk must eventually next fall, release a 1/48 scale edition of their 1/72 scale

Ref No. X72214 '’International Hawker Hunters’’ decal sheet ?

😎

SharkOwl

Reference : https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72214

5dec8eefd931ffead86e4f7b361ad565.jpg

9517e634312215c2063669286759b7bd.jpg

6220f7c38e1e2d1d01dbb476872ec25c.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

Very happy with what has been shown...

Issues about multi-version tooling aside, the thing that worries me at first sight is the apparent lack of option for gun blast deflectors. Were those never seen on the F6? Was this FGA9 only?

Still extremely happy, now hoping they will use their ‘good’ plastic for the production version 🙏🏻

They were seen on F6s too.

e.g. http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No14SquadronHunter

• Like 2

The kit looks great and the fact that th upper fuselage is separate seem to signal the intention for other marks. Not all marks though I would suggest. The F.4 would require straight leading edges and a 100-series engine, but the GA.11 (and the T.7 come to that) would require extended leading edges and a 100-series engine. That's 2 'new' sprues rather than being able to mix and match wings and engines which would allow more variants more easily.

I don't see 230 gallon tanks which is odd given the subjects their covering?

Can't wait!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I remember reading about the reason at about the time the Revell 1/72 kit came out, but I can't recall at present

Blast deflectors were added to the F.6 to cure the tendancy to pitch down when gun firing at altitude. They were deleted for the FGA.9 due to the role switching to ground attack - at lower altitudes the pitching problem didn't occur.

• Thanks 1

Interesting. There appear to be 2 sets of wingtips/nav lights on the clear sprue. That suggests different (i.e. straight leading edge) wings planned for. Also a nice bit of detail for inside the nose which I wasn't expecting.

Interesting that there are 2 seat 'faces' on the sprues - one with harnesses moulded on and one without. Nice touch.

I've blown up and examined the sprues and I'm very impressed - I've only found 2 (minor) issues so far! :)

• Like 1