1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

6 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The FGA.9 also had increased oxygen capacity

Yep. De-icer tank removed from the nose and an extra oxygen tank installed instead. You can tell they had the Middle East in mind when they designed the 9!

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You obviously haven't seen the Lindberg kit that was available before Academy's effort.:swear: And, Aeroclub did an IM and metal parts set that corrected the major problems of the Academy kit so it isn't unfixable.

No - not seen the Lindberg kit - sounds like I should be grateful :-)

I have seen some excellent builds of the Academy kit, but with my skills - I prefer to start with a better base (which I am sure the Airfix one will be)

12 minutes ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

No - not seen the Lindberg kit - sounds like I should be grateful :-)

I have seen some excellent builds of the Academy kit, but with my skills - I prefer to start with a better base (which I am sure the Airfix one will be)

On the bright side, the rear fuselage is removable and it comes with an engine and tow tractor

192512-12192-43-pristine.jpg

Lind%2080sHunter2211.JPG

Don't be fooled, this is the same kit:

313670-22360-83-pristine.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely work, Homebee. Reminds me of an aviation group visit to Yeovilton back in about 1992/93, when FRADU operated out of the big hangar on the south side. We entered it to see wall-to-wall Hunters. At that moment I knew just what heaven was going to be like.

11 hours ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

I think that is an excellent encapsulation of the Academy kit, if you don't have the time or skill level (and money is a factor) to correct it then the resulting model has some glaring issues, but if corrected builds into a very nice looking kit - as Homebee proves above.

As you say, the Airfix one should be build from the box accurate.

I well remember the FRADU Hunters near the end of their service and on the dummy deck at Culdrose, I was lucky enough to work on '861' before she left for Scampton

7268872588_83a560cd36_c.jpgHunter GA.11 XE685 861-VL (G-GAII) departing HFL 25 May 12 by James Thomas, on Flickr

I'm really hoping that there will be options to build the trainers and small bores, could be an expensive year!

Edited by 71chally

It's a great choice with all the export machines and  I reckon a 9 will follow. Won't stop me building my Academy though as an F5 with  all the amassed aftermarket!

Airfix are really doing it for me to the point I have started picking all their new heavies in 72nd

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Careful Steve, the denizens of this site like a good pitchfork and burning session.

Just sharpening the old pitchfork now, I'll dip it in some horse manure before I use it, it helps the wounds fester :wicked:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Hawker what? B)

Steve............................ you need to get out more :P

Dick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Hawker what? B)

Sort of like a CAC-built Sabre but with a different airframe and two extra ADEN cannon.

Burning and pitchforks are too good for him. Did anyone see that Game of Thrones episode with the rat in the metal bucket?:popcorn:

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Wez said:

Me too!  Smart move by Airfix!

The above referring to the choice of F6 and with reference to FGA 9

This surely wasn't by chance.  It must have taken hours of research, extending over years to decide which variant to choose: those who have repeatedly asked 'why no Hunter?' please note!  The same goes for other types of which the Venom\Sea Venom come to mind.

Though a 'serious modeller' ie the top 20% of kit buyers, to me it's pretty much a case that a Hunter is just a Hunter.  So with the possible exception of a 2-seater, only 15%? would buy (and that's what really matters) other variants as well.  Careful tooling may enable other single-seat variants to be built with aftermarket help but the extra sales would surely be minimal.

Going back 2 generations, I'm sure that's why Airfix are most unlikely to tool a tin wing Hurricane, ditto a Spitfire XlV and quite a few others.

Weep not: there are still many, many other subjects which are 'in need' of (re)tooling.  I'm still hoping for an Avenger with folding wing.

5 hours ago, Denford said:

Careful tooling may enable other single-seat variants to be built with aftermarket help but the extra sales would surely be minimal.

Going back 2 generations, I'm sure that's why Airfix are most unlikely to tool a tin wing Hurricane, ditto a Spitfire XlV and quite a few others.

I may be being a bit thick here (no surprises there), but I don't follow your drift or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying.

If there's no mileage in producing different marks of an aircraft, why have Airfix themselves bothered to give us a Spitfire I, Vb, XII, XIX and 22/24 in 1/48th scale, surely if a Spitfire is just a Spitfire, why bother producing a specific mark, you may as well just produce a generic Spitfire shape.  To the casual buyer a Spitfire is a Spitfire, they don't care what mark it is and they will buy it, enthusiasts on the other hand will buy a specific mark of a subject, if it's good enough they'll repeat buy it.  The same applies to the Hunter, if you just want a Hunter then you don't care about the mark, if you do care you will buy a specific mark, if there's only one option available then the choice made by Airfix is a good one as it provides many squadron marking options for RAF Hunters as well as a good number of export versions.  If they bought out a Mk1/4 I'd buy it, if they bought out a T.7/8 I'd buy it, so too would the casual buyer who wanted a Hunter - Airfix would win either way.

• Like 4

I was lucky enough to go to a lecture by Airfix chief researcher in November. He made it clear that while they have a clear commitment to the pocket money market, their selection of new kits is aimed clearly at the enthusiast with disposable income. They will recoupe their tooling cost on these predicted sales. 

They know what they are doing!

So they've released an F.6 with what will most likely be the parts to build an F.6a but in what some people think boring schemes. To my mind this means there will be an FGA.9 boxing soon and then most likely plenty others in the future. The Sea Fury already has an export boxing announced so perhaps two or three of those could be milked from the Hunter in both F.6 and FGA.9 flavours. How about a display team boxing in the same way Academy did (which I'm claiming as my idea by the way since a few months after I posted a list of possible decal options on the relevant thread it appeared with each of those schemes <_< ) or do a few with a mix of one RAF, one display, and one export scheme in each release?

As we get to see more CAD renders and eventually plastic test shots, 'cause they like to tease us and keep the attention focused to build anticipation and therefore coverage that way, we'll also see what other options are available due to the parts breakdown. A seperate nose cone will allow a PR nose to be grafted on in the same way the Meteor F.8/PR.9 kit has but in 48th scale I'd suggest the need for a new cockpit combing and modified instrument panel to do the job properly. Then again if they are doing the differences between F.6 and FGA.9 properly I'd suggest different parts will be included for the ejection seat and cockpit area behind it. Beyond that things get a bit more involved. Want an F.1/2/4/5? We'll need a new outer wing leading edge, center fuselage, and tail cone. Granted those changes will also make a T7/8 possible and even a GA/PR.11 but then some will start to moan about the number of extra parts that'll need joined together just to create a fuselage (perhaps 9) and pair of wings (maybe 6). The other option could be to tool up a set of different fuselages, say one for the F.6 and FGA.9 then another for the F.1/4 with seperate forward fuselage and tail cone to also get the T7/8 or yet another pair of single pieces to get the twin tub jobs as totally seperate from the early types, either that or not bother and let the aftermarket sort it out.

Regardless of all this I'd lay bets that a few things can be sure to happen; the aftermarket will treat us to a plethora of decal sheets and resin bits and etched brass and conversion sets and anything else you can imagine. Then Trumpeter will announce a 48th scale Hunter-ish kit.

• Like 2

I quite like the way Airfix are re-boxing and re-decalling their new range of kits. It's a smart marketing move and will result in many additional purchases of the same set of moulds.

Apart from the Aerobatic teams, I'm not that overly excited about your typical F.6 schemes in RAF squadron service, however as it appears that an F.6A is on the cards this hopefully opens up many more exciting opportunities.

Therefore, I'll probably wait until the rocket armed 'Konfrontasi' FGA.9 kit comes out beautifully adorned in an exciting Adam Tooby boxtop.

Cheers.. Dave.