1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

This Hunter FGA.9/FR.10/GA.11 will be a great release as it will have to feature all the big engined and small engined, parachute or non chute, different flap bits all in one boxing, not to mention Royal Navy and RAF.  Maybe even different drop tanks and weapons?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irish 251 said:

Did I hear them say in the YouTube video today that some errors in the original kit would be corrected? 

The original kit doesn't have the distinctive 'cut off' at the trailing edge of the ailerons (like the elevators have) of the actual Hunter, also some of the fuselage vents were not quite right for some of the versions, so maybe it's these that have been corrected?

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

- ref. A09192 - Hawker Hunter FGA.9/FR.10/GA.11

https://uk.airfix.com/products/hawker-hunter-fga9fr10ga11-a09192

a09192-1.webp

V.P.

Could be cool for this future reboxed kit to have on the decal sheet markings for Hawker Hunter FGA.9

of Kuwait, Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

😎

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

EDIT: confirmed 3 schemes, No 1 Squadron (Pollock) , 4 Squadron FR10 and FAA GA11

I'm surprised that Airfix have not opted to provide for at least one of the many overseas operators of the later Hunter variant but my guess is that they may have backed themselves into a corner with the three distinct variants on offer in the box. An RAF FGA.9 was obvious and IIRC, only the FAA operated the GA.11 but I guess they may have gone for an overseas operator of the FR.10 (SOAF ?). Then again, it leaves the door open for a fourth release of the kit later on with decal options for export customers, rather like the second issue of their Hawker Sea Fury. Still will not prevent me buying 3 or 4 kits though !.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

I'm surprised that Airfix have not opted to provide for at least one of the many overseas operators of the later Hunter variant but my guess is that they may have backed themselves into a corner with the three distinct variants on offer in the box. An RAF FGA.9 was obvious and IIRC, only the FAA operated the GA.11 but I guess they may have gone for an overseas operator of the FR.10 (SOAF ?). Then again, it leaves the door open for a fourth release of the kit later on with decal options for export customers, rather like the second issue of their Hawker Sea Fury. Still will not prevent me buying 3 or 4 kits though !.

Yep, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a further release in future with multiple export schemes, 

• Like 2

I’m also hoping for an FGA.9 / Export boxing with underwing rockets. Surely the image of a rocket armed No. 20 Squadron side banking FGA.9 flying over a green Indonesian jungle would make for the most attractive boxart? 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The Hunter kit will be a cash cow for Airfix for many years to come, there are so many options with the various moldings they have done, I think every single seater variant is catered for.

Agree, though it would be nice if Airfix did the twin-seaters later so we can get one for about fifty quid all-in.

Wondering what the GA.11 markings will be: Blue Herons era, or the late overall grey?

Tony 

30 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Wondering what the GA.11 markings will be: Blue Herons era, or the late overall grey?

So many lovely schemes, FAA second-line and FRADU schemes. PR.11 will be dead easy to create with the FR bits in the box.

14537031117_0f25ea94fa_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter PR.11 WT723 692 LM (G-PRII) by James Thomas, on Flickr

7268872246_e9a617e509_b.jpg

Hunter GA.11 XE685 861-VL (G-GAII) departing HFL 25 May 12 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, 71chally said:

So many lovely schemes, FAA second-line and FRADU schemes. PR.11 will be dead easy to create with the FR bits in the box.

14537031117_0f25ea94fa_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter PR.11 WT723 692 LM (G-PRII) by James Thomas, on Flickr

7268872246_e9a617e509_b.jpg

Hunter GA.11 XE685 861-VL (G-GAII) departing HFL 25 May 12 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Beautiful photos of an equally beautiful aeroplane.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

EDIT: confirmed 3 schemes, No 1 Squadron (Pollock) , 4 Squadron FR10 and FAA GA11

I was hoping for 1 TWU option, the Last aircraft with 79 Sqn markings...

But there are loads of cool Hunter schemes...A GA.11 could of been built from the F4 kit anyway, if you source decals from elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

I was hoping for 1 TWU option, the Last aircraft with 79 Sqn markings...

But there are loads of cool Hunter schemes...A GA.11 could of been built from the F4 kit anyway, if you source decals from elsewhere.

Yes, but having all the bits and decals in one box means I can be an utterly indecisive prat for a while. Contemplation is at least half the joy.

The issue, then, is do I buy two of the FGA.9/GA.11 boxing, or one of those plus an F.4 or F.6? Until now, I was thinking it would be hard to beat the later Revell 1/32 kits — not so sure now, especially with Aerocraft's twin-seat conversions!

It's all getting very grog, guinness and salty. In a very nice kind of way.

Tony 

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Hawker Hunter F.Mk.6 & 6A by Airfix - released - new variants/boxing FGA.9/FR.10/GA.11 in 2023
7 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Oh to have seen the Hunter going though Tower Bridge. Can you imagine the uproar of someone did that now?

The uproar then was bad enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m also hoping for an FGA.9 / Export boxing with underwing rockets. Surely the image of a rocket armed No. 20 Squadron side banking FGA.9 flying over a green Indonesian jungle would make for the most attractive boxart? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Agreed. I recall there being a superb Flying Review front cover in the Sixties that showed exactly that. Several of my Airfix Hunters were modifiued (badly)  and painted in that livery.

John B

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Homebee said:

Release expected in Summer 2023 - ref. A09192 - Hawker Hunter FGA.9/FR.10/GA.11a09192-1.webp

Wow... but unfortunately, that's yet another kit that the Airfix distributor down here won't bring to this country, I just can't fathom why.

Such a striking art box, by the way. The blurry effect of the hot jet stream on the London Bridge is awesome. I'm almost able to breathe the smell of burnt fuel. 

Cheers.

• Like 1