Supra GT

Second of my quick'n fun holiday builds.  Take one (cheap) Tamiya 'Tom's Supra' kit; build it straight from the box; swap out the kit decals for the ones' that come with their 911 GT2 kit and, Ta daaaa....

0ntuY0T.jpg

mJohxZO.jpg

2s4kF63.jpg

r2NdNhE.jpg

rBy4z97.jpg

cgaUkAT.jpg

E5TsFEx.jpg

FKgM4lO.jpg

WAXV4q3.jpg

Not everyones cup-of-tea, I know, but I had a shed-load of fun doing it over the last ten days or so, and isn't that really the point of the hobby ?. Feel free to ask any questions or post any outrage, it's all fine with me. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. 

AFN

Ian.

Edited by Ian
wrong photo
  • Like 16

Dear Sir,

I am outraged, what an outrageous idea - modelling is supposed to be fun? Whoever heard of such a thing?!

Mr. Outraged,

Swansea.

Actually I think it looks brilliant Ian - those decals actually seem to suit the Supra better than the 911! 

Great stuff, but do you ever sleep?!

Keith

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff, but do you ever sleep?!

Keith

Yes I do, mate, but against my will, it seems I'm semi-retired now, so have a lot of time on my hands - would rather be 'gainfully employed', but it's just the way of things here. Only get work if you know folks, and we don't know too many folks. (not a whinge, just a fact).

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ah, that's a shame, sorry to hear that Ian. I've been fully (medically) retired for 10 odd years now, & in all that time I don't think I've finished as many models as you did last year!

Hope 2018 is a better year workwise for you...:)

ATB

Keith

• 1 month later...

Wow a super Supra! Top class build and I really do like the idea of using other kit decals, it works a treat!

• Thanks 1

Just 'small town mentality', Pete, nothing I can do about it, folks here are very friendly but VERY conservative / guarded when it comes to employing in-comers. 

Ian.

On 10/01/2018 at 9:24 AM, keefr22 said:

Ah, that's a shame, sorry to hear that Ian. I've been fully (medically) retired for 10 odd years now, & in all that time I don't think I've finished as many models as you did last year!

Hope 2018 is a better year workwise for you...:)

ATB

Keith

Cant seem to remember you completing a model,wait a minute you did build a bridge.:rofl2:BTW well tidy Supra,well tidy indeed.:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thank you folks for all the positive comments and reaction to this one - Have to say I was a little dubious about posting a 'What If' race car, however it seems that everyone likes it and that's just great. On an enforced break from the bench just now as we're moving house (yet again). Once everything settles down I have a couple of aircraft builds I want to get-on with before getting-back to wheelie things - there's three, yes THREE, racing 911's currently waving at me from the stash, so may go for a TRIPLE BUILD if I'm feeling very brave.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

I think "what if" racers are a good thing.

The modeller himself can create a piece of dreams, that's the thing!! Why not build a racer sponsored by myself, no one, or using decals from something else...

I think that's the fortune of our hobby, we can create our thing/style,isn't it?

Life is so serious...try to have some fun...

Cheers

Marco F.

I know my english is not really correct,

hope you don't mind...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great result. I'm all for "what if". It gives you a chance to make something entirely unique. Is this originally the SARD Supra or the Castrol one?

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, Marco F. said:

I think "what if" racers are a good thing.

The modeller himself can create a piece of dreams, that's the thing!! Why not build a racer sponsored by myself, no one, or using decals from something else...

I think that's the fortune of our hobby, we can create our thing/style,isn't it?

Life is so serious...try to have some fun...

Cheers

Marco F.

I know my english is not really correct,

hope you don't mind...

Your doing fine Marco, I print my own decals because there are so many designs out there that we can use!

That's what modeling is all about, imagination! Factory stock vehicles are so boring, just because someone else has designed it. It means to me that I can modify/change that kit/model into anything that comes into my mind, however, good/bad or crazy it ends up! Keeps all the spares that you can because that can go on something else. And factory paint colours again a very boring subject. Paint it what colour suits you, your creating it!

Edited by PatW
  • Thanks 2

Well thanks (yet again) everyone. Great to see this wee thing is still generating some discussion. FYI, the GT2 that donated its' decals for this build is on the bench just now. Main body paint is done and I just need to add some 'flourishes'. Starting on the chassis and running gear this week if I get time.

Ian.