Tamiya M4A3E8 ‘Easy Eight’ - “The Ambush”

Meteors

On 13/03/2018 at 07:32, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - What pigments did you use BTW.....Have a feeling they'll be going on my 'avoid list'.

I wouldn’t blame the pigments, it was user error all the way. I used both Vallejo and Ammo. My application was obviously all wrong, I’ve never used them before and so clearly messed it up.

I’ve tried to replicate and it looks horrible.  Not too keen to try adding more paint to it. I was wondering if hitting it with a blast of TS80 would tone it done and maybe darken it up. At this point it’s such a mess I don’t care if it makes it look bad. It’s looking more and more like it’ll have to get a soaking in isopropyl to strip it completely.

• Sad 3

Thats a real bummer! :unsure:

Ive had mixed results with pigments in the past. I tend to use soft chalk pastels ground up these days as i prefer the more subtle results they tend to give. A blast of TS80 may tone it down a bit. 

Hope you get it sorted.

Regards.

Steve

Just catching up, it's amazing how much dust sticks to a truck as it's going along. My MLRS started off green and black drive around on Salisbury plain for a few weeks, it was white with minimal camouflage showing.

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good to see you are back! :)

That's still looking good, if more discreet than before

BTW, what is TS80?  (I'm showing my ignorance)

Hey Robert, Tamiya TS-80 is a flat clear lacquer used for sealing before enamel washes are applied. I’d actually like to start using some that can be applied by airbrush, as the spray can method with the TS-80 is obviously not very precise. I need to do some research on that though.

Nearly finished the Sherman now, attached the tracks last night, they just need a little work, plus some final touch ups here and there. I’ll try to get some pics up this evening!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great recovery Tom. Happy to see you're back on track.

You should have no problems applying TS-80 (or any other Tamiya spray) through an airbrush. Just spray it directly into a jar, thin as necessary, then transfer to your airbrush. If you want to avoid the chance of any mess, use a drinking straw, held against the spray can nozzle, to decant the paint into the jar.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/03/2018 at 5:45 AM, Meteors said:

Amazing!! This is how she looks after a good coat of TS80! Obviously she needs a little work, but she’s back, baby!

Excellent idea, flat varnish is a good way to "neutralize" excessive pigments application ... I also used that method but didn't think of it for your problem, happy you did !!

E

• Like 1

Thank you, guys. Decanting seems pretty scary, Andy. I might look into a Vallejo or Ammo varnish to see if I can just skip the decanting process!

So here’s how she is so far. Very close to completion, mainly because I’m so tired of working on this particular kit! 

Please let let me know what you think, what I’ve done incorrectly etc. this is only my second ever tank after all! I know there are some mud spatters and other bits that aren’t quite right as a result of the pigment disaster, but I don’t she ended up looking that bad after all.

Cheers,

Tom

40918580681_4ae7999554_b.jpg

40918578381_b8fdddd781_b.jpg

40210259774_77bae43ea1_b.jpg

39109136490_6f2c35e970_b.jpg

27047792838_1a459c1f9c_b.jpg

40025011005_4cbd78de5b_b.jpg

40918579931_c238cf7926_b.jpg

40025006595_abe057bc1f_b.jpg

• Like 9

To be honest, I think the pigment issues and the resulting varnish fix have ended up leaving a really impressive weathered finish, albeit slightly by accident. I particularly like the staining around the turret and mantlet, and the splattering up the back of the hull.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much guys! Glad I could get it done before the end of the GB. Might try to put the little diorama together if I get the time before Easter, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

So in case you were wondering what ‘The ambush’ was all about, here’s a little mock-up of what I had in mind, but doubt I’ll have time to get around to.

40068681535_9b152cb559_b.jpg

40252941514_8538a6bff9_b.jpg

40252941494_ce74763711_b.jpg

40068681495_fe9c68a444_b.jpg

The figures of course aren’t done, and the scenery would need a lot of work, but this was what I had in mind. Maybe I’ll add it as a WIP in the diorama section.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 5

Hi Tom.

I'm a great believer in 'accidents' not being accidents, but rather, fortuitious discoveries. Multiple layers, even ones that don't look right at the time, for whatever reason, all add up to create realism.

That's superb weathering on the Easy Eight. VERY realistic. It shows off the surface textures and detailing of the kit very well (unlike the worn winter camo on mine.)

So, it's great to see what mine COULD have looked like, had I the skill, because I find OD quite hard to weather realistically.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ozzy, Badder. Lots of lessons learned on this one, so it’s all good. And we’re supposed to be having fun, right, no

point getting all worked up about some pigment. Accidents happen (like I tell my toilet-training toddler), we just have to roll with it.

Hopefully I can find some time to do the diorama soon, the kids are taking up so much time these days! I had so much fun doing this group build, thanks everyone!

Tom

• Like 1