Whirlybirds: 1/72 S-51 BEA Livery - RELEASED!

The Tomohawk Kid

My kit arrived  today, sorry about pictures, the kit is significantly better than my terrible pictures suggest, therefore profuse apologies to Whirlybirds, for not being David Bailey!

413732128.jpg

413732127.jpg

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
Typo, what else!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I see this has the same markings option as the Mach 2 kit, is it the same mould?. I have two S51's in the stash a vacform with white metal  by TEE-JAY circa 1984, under the Britavia Models label and a limited run injection moulded example by Aerodrom with a choice of two fuselages, one solid cast in blue plastic and the other like the example shown.

No, I was talking to Roger at Telford, it is a new resin kit that came out of his work on revising the Britavia vacform RN kit. It has a new clear resin fuselage with the correct window arrangement for a civilian Dragonfly. It will probably be an easier build than the Mach2 kit. The RN version still uses a vacform fuselage with some well casted resin and photoset charts. 

12 hours ago, Martin T said:

No, I was talking to Roger at Telford, it is a new resin kit that came out of his work on revising the Britavia vacform RN kit. It has a new clear resin fuselage with the correct window arrangement for a civilian Dragonfly. It will probably be an easier build than the Mach2 kit. The RN version still uses a vacform fuselage with some well casted resin and photoset charts. 

Not only has it got the right glazing configuration, it has the correct fuselage shape too, which is different from the HR 3/5. It also contains photo etch and some very nice resin detailing parts some cast in strengthen resin such as the under carriage and rotor head and blades.

it is most definitely nothing to do with the Mach 2 kit, which is neither fish nor fowl in terms of shape, not being an S-51 or HR 3/5 Dragonfly.

Thimo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chris57 said:

I see this has the same markings option as the Mach 2 kit, is it the same mould?. I have two S51's in the stash a vacform with white metal  by TEE-JAY circa 1984, under the Britavia Models label and a limited run injection moulded example by Aerodrom with a choice of two fuselages, one solid cast in blue plastic and the other like the example shown.

It's not surprising that that the Mach 2 kit and Whirlybirds share some of the same markings as BEA only had three S-51s. G-AJOV commenced the World's first scheduled helicopter passenger service from Liverpool to Cardiff and return, in June of 1950. The Mach 2 and Whirlybirds kits are totally different and poles apart.

The Britavia/Airways Vac is the basis for the Whirlybirds HR 3/5 kit, albeit they have signiificantly improved it. The Aerodrom kit is also a HR 3/5, I haven't seen the kits for a while but I have a sneaking feeling thier boxings of the S-51 and HO3S are wrong because they use the same mould (in different colour styrene) as the HR 3/5.

Thomo.

41 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It's not surprising that that the Mach 2 kit and Whirlybirds share some of the same markings as BEA only had three S-51s. G-AJOV commenced the World's first scheduled helicopter passenager service from Liverpool to Cardiff and return, in June of 1950. The Mach 2 and Whirlybirds kits are totally different and poles apart.

The Britavia/Airways Vac is the basis for the Whirlybirds HR 3/5 kit, albeit they have signiificantly improved it. The Aerodrom kit is also a HR 3/5, I haven't seen the kits for a while but I have a sneaking feeling thier boxings of the S-51 and HO3S are wrong because they use the same mould (in different colour styrene) as the HR 3/5.

Thomo.

The Britavia kit has quite a pedigree with acknowledgements to Gordon Stevens, John Adams. Peter Lockhart & Dick Ward amongst others. The white metal parts in this kit also look nicely done, better than the same parts in the Aerodrom kit. Still I digress from your topic. Chris

• 7 months later...