de Havilland DH 60G Gypsy Moth Coupe

de Havilland DH 60G Gypsy Moth Coupe

The British Arctic Air Route Expedition

1/72 Avis (AModel)

This is my latest completion for the Flying Boats and Float Planes Group Build, in the main it was built OOB with a few detail refinements and rigged with Uschi's rigging thread. A late decision to add the flying control cables meant that I had to leave off the rudder cables, I found it difficult juggling the model, tweezers and rigging thread with my arthritic fingers. In hindsight I should have added these cables when carrying out the main rigging work.

I hope that you enjoy looking at my efforts 

25683772598_5d7b40708f_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39553999711_8eab83bd20_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38657881495_3d6139f6ca_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38657883025_a11b81b987_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39524535602_7e08443ab8_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39524533832_1ed0ef7389_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25683771598_70c1b4097a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38657882295_deda39bc82_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 49

That's really nice. A great build.  There aren't enough Moths in the World so really good to see one. 

Edited by Meatbox8
Spelling!!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

interesting nose on the plane was that to prevent carburetor icing in the arctic environment ?

The 60G had a de Havilland designed Gypsy I engine and I think that it was just the standard shrouding to house the engine. Later types such as the Tiger Moth had the Gypsy II engine inverted enabling a more streamlined look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazontipede said:

Were the floats reinforced for ice landings do you know?

They don't appear to be from what I can see in the photos, and in the shots of the aircraft on water there seems to be little ice about. This is a link to the expedition galleries Scott Polar Research Institute  and most of the aircraft photos appear on pages 5 & 6, there are also a few nice shots of the Moths on skis and a couple of other aircraft types.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Wow!  Lost for words.

That is a lovely model and extremely interesting subject.

Anyone who can rig a biplane like you (in 1/72nd scale!) has my vote.

First class building.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Moa said:

Beautiful model.

I tried yesterday a similar rigging product, EZ Line.

It drove me crazy. I could only rig one segment after about 30/40 tries.

Did you by any chance take photos of the rigging process?

Cheers

Sorry Moa, I didn't take any photos of the process on this build, but there may be something of use in the following link of my AVRO 504 build for last years Airfix Golden Years GB, scroll to post #34 for the relevant area. I like to pre drill the holes required around the struts, feed the thread through a hole and fix in place with cyano, then pass the thread through the opposite hole, tension and glue in position. It does take a while to master this and you will need plenty of patience when starting out but I am sure that you will get there in the end. As I have said there are a few photos in the link below, I hope that they are of use.

AVRO 504 Rigging

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Sorry Moa, I didn't take any photos of the process on this build, but there may be something of use in the following link of my AVRO 504 build for last years Airfix Golden Years GB, scroll to post #34 for the relevant area. I like to pre drill the holes required around the struts, feed the thread through a hole and fix in place with cyano, then pass the thread through the opposite hole, tension and glue in position. It does take a while to master this and you will need plenty of patience when starting out but I am sure that you will get there in the end. As I have said there are a few photos in the link below, I hope that they are of use.

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Beautiful model.

I tried yesterday a similar rigging product, EZ Line.

It drove me crazy. I could only rig one segment after about 30/40 tries.

Did you by any chance take photos of the rigging process?

Cheers

Moa, what glue are you using? I found the best glue is zap-a-gap  for EZ line. The thin CA wouldn't work for me.

• Like 1