Parns

Here's another query respectfully submitted to the hivemind. I am planning an early F-15, and now that Scale Aircraft Conversions have belatedly introduced a set of white metal F-15E gear legs, I'm wondering whether they would be appropriate. I know that the wheels of the E are larger than those of the earlier Hens, but what about the legs themselves. The nosegear leg appears to be pretty constant throughout the aircraft's evolution, but I'm unsure about the main gear legs. TIA.

If you have to use metal gear legs, I would try to find G-Factor ones instead, even though they're probably hard to find and a bit expensive. They are made from brass and a lot stronger than the SAC white metal ones. The landing gear in Eagle kits is usually pretty weak because of the design of the real thing, and SAC's stuff is just copies of kit parts in rather soft white metal, which will probably sag over time.

• Like 2

I bought the SAC replacements for my GWH F-15C and they were weaker than the already weak kit ones. I couldn't use them. I ended up drilling out the strut and inserting a pin. I would also go G-factor.  I won't et SAC gear again basses on this. 

• Like 1

The E main and nose gear struts are thicker than on the A/C models. 

Whether enough to be noticeable in your chosen scale is another matter! In 1/32 it was the thickness of two layers of Tamiya tape.

Alan 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this, definitely helpful. I've Googled G-Factor, and seen some of their products forsale in various online model shops, mostly Stateside. I've not seen any 1/72 legs at all, and they don't appear to have a website. Does anybody know of any contact details for them?

Ah, hmmm, you didn't mention the scale, and since pretty much every time an F-15E is mentioned, it's about 1/48 kits, I assumed this was the case here as well. I don't think G-Factor ever produced 1/72 legs for fighters. And to be honest, I doubt you would see any difference between the vanilla and strike versions in 1/72.

• Like 1