Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3 1/24

1/24 Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3 

A very very nicely fitting kit. This kit is all about the outside. Its only curbside so I spent a bit of time on the cockpit, even though you cant see it. Had a couple of decals tear so be careful.   
Hiroboy carbon decals inside (superb stuff)
Zero paints Metallic Grey (Matt) sprays nice, multiple light coats essential to retain matt effect.
Zero paints 2K flat coat ( weird stuff, practice with it first! Again multiple dusty coats needed to obtain a matt(ish) finish)
Included a couple of pics of the interior before the shell went on as its invisible after!

More (higher res) pics in the flickr album if you are interested.

39544436981_361abaedb6_c.jpg
27768081759_f9fff700c5_c.jpg
27768080219_5ca555d9d9_c.jpg
38835300794_374dbc2f98_c.jpg
27768076579_63a6945865_c.jpg
39544432681_4006dd7482_c.jpg
38835292804_100d8c551f_c.jpg
27768071179_d606213f1c_c.jpg
39514663002_897f830f11_c.jpgDSC06952 by omgpainful
39544427111_4fc3d8c6f9_c.jpg
25673786738_becbb24f33_c.jpg
25673786068_6e7f1107e5_c.jpg

• Like 16

Very nice work it looks great!! If I can make one small observation and it's not a reflection of your work, but the paint. Whilst the colour looks perfect I think the Zero paint is too heavy on flake size. On the real car there's no visible flakes at all, even close up. A lot of the Zero paints are the same, just need to use a finer flake size and they would be perfect.

Really good job. The insides are always an issue, whether it's worth spending time on things that you can't see. On the subject of paint I was led to believe that Tamiya had produced a special paint for this model? What did you use to prime the body's shell with as Zero paints can be plastic eaters if not primed right? Definitely a model on my to do list.

thanks to all for looking in, very kind of you indeed.:smile:

quick reply to some questions

Steve/Kona

Tamiyas instructions say to use TS100 which, supposedly, was developed with this kit in mind (they do another one, TS49 which some people have used as an allternative). The same question over flake size has been levelled at that too, as has Gravity's specific AMG grey paint. So you pay your money and take your choice i am afraid. if you dont want visible metalflake then you can always paint it flat grey, its your choice. It may even be nearer the real car! To my eye this paint has the right grey colour and doesnt look like a bright metalic finish with massive flakes in it and thats perfectly OK for me. If you are reeeeeeealy that worried about it i'll send you the rest of the paint (i doubt ill use it on anything else) and you can try it yourself.

The flake size you maybe seeing in my pics is , I think, exacerbated by the fact the the flat clearcoat was not sanded, so there might be a slight (VERY slight) texture to the surface (its flat after all) which the cameras in-built sharpening has picked up on, making the "flake" look bigger that it actually is.

If anyone requests it I will spray something with the paint without a clearcoat so you can see the raw finish.

Here is an extreme close up at a higher res. the "flake" in the paint is equivalent or smaller than the dust on the tyre. Could it really get any smaller?

39544426161_b16c3a3411_k.jpg

Busdriver

It was primed with mr surfacer black. tamiyas topcoat paint call out in the instructions is TS100.

As for doing the inside, again its up to you. as you can see from the pics you cant see it unless you pick it up and look closely through the windows. you can totally ignore it if you wish. But I actually enjoy doing it, and thats the reason we make models isnt it? your model- your choice. thats the best thing about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I agree that the camera does exaggerate the flake size. I've noticed that before on my own builds. Sounds really silly but sometimes I run the Zero paint through a fine mesh filter and remove some of the flakes. I did this with the Kawasaki Green for the ZX-12R and it did work very well, reducing the flakes considerably and gave a more 'in scale' appearance. I'd not heard of TS-100 until now, I must have a look at that. Anyway paint aside, still doesn't detract from the fact that your model looks really nice and you made a smashing job of it. Just noticed the seat texture, how did you create that? 

7 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Just noticed the seat texture, how did you create that? 

hi Steve, never though about straining the paint, sounds interesting!

its just packing foam from the box my watch came in cut to size to resemble the padding in the actual  seat. The one in the kit is just a bare shell. good enough really but i couldn't help myself, you know how it is . ;)

• Like 1

I think when I get round to starting mine I'm going to look into fibre optics.  That car is just dripping with modernity and tech and I think it would look stunning with a careful application of bright light.  Will see how that goes....🤔🙄

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...