A-1H Spec OPs 83rd squad, 2 camo types?

Davide Calzolari

Hi, That`s pretty much what I found ( two schemes ) when I was researching for my attempt at one, plus they also had some in standard SEA scheme.  My main references were the Osprey:  Skyraider Units of the Vietnam war and `Flying Dragons` my Robert C Mikesh plus a few on Google here and there.

Hope this helps,

Russ 

thnx guys,the SEa scheme is well know,but surely the 83rd had other two scheme, one color have surely Tan,the other one,no

the green seems a lighter medium green of the SEa camo,and the reddish brown who knows,probably some local mix :)

Edited by italian intruder

Hi again, yes one scheme had 3 colours with a light brown/tan in it. Here`s a link to my attempt at the 3 colour upper camo`:

Hope this helps

Good Luck with yours, Russ

• Like 1

20 hours ago, italian intruder said:

russ in every  pic of the real thing i see only two tones!

Then just do a two tone one then ?

VNAF_A1H119.jpg

It seems to my old Mk 1 👀 that these were probably USN aircraft transferred in the Gull grey/White. They were probably all painted with local blends of paint. The few SEA painted aircraft were probably transferred from USAF stocks.

I think the browns were likely the same paint in some cases mixed properly to get the brown tone. And in others mixed to thin and sprayed over gull grey would get a more tan color. Thats my opinion of course. As Russ stated above paint it how you want, two toned or three its really up to you. 

• Like 1

My money’s on CF4U’s explanation. I was venturing down the route of building one a while ago and came to this conclusion.  As Russ says, do as you feel to be correct backed by the best research you can get. Ultimately you have to be happy with the result day on day. 

Martin

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

Was there ever concensus on these colours? I've now invested in a bunch of Hasegawa Skyraiders and one will be 83rd SOG. :)..... It would be great to see the results of this discussion. Thanks a lot. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 11 January 2018 at 5:42 PM, ziggyfoos said:

For 83rd A-1's I'm only seeing two upper camo colors, that brownish color and green - with no standardized pattern.

Agreed, for what its worth after all this time. Remember that the 83rd in camo operated before the US SEA "Vietnam" colours of green, green, tan and grey came about. These aircraft were two-tone upper snd grey lower (Gull Grey). The uppers were a local paint. The variations shown, particularly in the first post here, are the result of weathering. Just look at that weather! Rain and intense sun..... 

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner