Easy 8 - Tamiya 1/35

Oriskany

Hi guys

I'm in this great STGB with a beautiful Tamiya East Eight dedicated to the European theater.

I'm going to use some AM, like Eduard's PE and Friulmodel T66 tracks.

f696b563-41d3-4404-970d-26184e46a790.jpg

In the next days i'll think about final markings, now i'm building it like generic Easy 8 :)

• Like 4

Welcome Oriskany, there are a few of these being built so if you need any tips there are plenty about. I'd be interested to see those tracks come together as I've just brought a set, as I've never used metal tracks before.

Thanks Ozzy!

I have used metal tracks many times, they are very realistic and quite easy to assembly.

They are a little bit difficult to paint than plastic tracks, but you can use a good burnisher, oils and pigments to have a good effect.

Unfortunately, the main problem is their cost...

• Like 1

Just remember when using Fruilmodel tracks on a Sherman that they did say like a Panther or KV/JS. The Sherman series had live tracks so they kept under tension using the adjustable idler mount. 

20 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Just remember when using Fruilmodel tracks on a Sherman that they did say like a Panther or KV/JS. The Sherman series had live tracks so they kept under tension using the adjustable idler mount. 

Thats not totally correct , all tanks have an adjustable idler other wise you would not be able to change tracks or maintain them very easily, the live and dead track link is in relation to the make up of the hinge and pin of the track.

Tracks may be broadly categorized as "live" or "dead" track. "Dead" track is a simple design in which each track plate is connected to the rest with hinge-type pins. These dead tracks will lie flat if placed on the ground; the drive sprocket pulls the track around the wheels with no assistance from the track itself. "Live" track is slightly more complex, with each link connected to the next by a bushing which causes the track to bend slightly inward. A length of live track left on the ground will curl upward slightly at each end. Although the drive sprocket must still pull the track around the wheels, the track itself tends to bend inward, slightly assisting the sprocket and somewhat conforming to the wheels.

Most WW2 German tank track design was of the dead kind , most but not all allied track was a live track design. A good clue is return rollers, if fitted its probably a live track.

Almost all modern NATO tanks rely on live track, it saves wear , it’s quieter and requires less maintenance than dead track. 

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Thats not totally correct , all tanks have an adjustable idler other wise you would not be able to change tracks or maintain them very easily, the live and dead track link is in relation to the make up of the hinge and pin of the track.

Tracks may be broadly categorized as "live" or "dead" track. "Dead" track is a simple design in which each track plate is connected to the rest with hinge-type pins. These dead tracks will lie flat if placed on the ground; the drive sprocket pulls the track around the wheels with no assistance from the track itself. "Live" track is slightly more complex, with each link connected to the next by a bushing which causes the track to bend slightly inward. A length of live track left on the ground will curl upward slightly at each end. Although the drive sprocket must still pull the track around the wheels, the track itself tends to bend inward, slightly assisting the sprocket and somewhat conforming to the wheels.

Most WW2 German tank track design was of the dead kind , most but not all allied track was a live track design. A good clue is return rollers, if fitted its probably a live track.

Almost all modern NATO tanks rely on live track, it saves wear , it’s quieter and requires less maintenance than dead track. 

Cheers

Dan 

Thanks the clarification on the issue of "live" and "dead" tracks. I know of the principle of what you are saying. There are photos of Sherman tracks kind of in a roll laying on their sides. The fact that Allied armour whilst with less effective armour and guns, automotively they were superior and the tracks were one of the contributions towards the move across Europe. 

• Like 1