Code ops on HURRICANE Mk IIc temperate

pierre66

Hi friends

On the left side of the plane, the ops codes of the hurricane Mk IIc, read KW ° R or XP ° B ...

But on the right side is it KW ° R or R ° KW? is this systematic or are there variations from one squadron to another ?
it seems very varied and without any real global rule?

Neither for the 615th nor for the 174 sq I can find a vintage photo in MkIIc on the right side! I see a nice picture of MkI ou IIa with B°XP...

So, how do I put my decals ??? Hmm ??

Othe question: here is MkIIc at 174sq at one time of the story of the quadron??

Thank you gentlemen

The codes could be different within the same unit,..... they were supposed to read KW-R on either side,.....but it all seems to have been down to the bloke with the paintbrush and if he liked R-KW,....then so be it! Some units even preferred to have the codes read as R-KW on either side too,..... you just have to find a pic of your subject and then compare it with others in the unit at the same time.

Sorry I cannot help more,

Cheers

Tony 

1 hour ago, pierre66 said:

On the left side of the plane, the ops codes of the hurricane Mk IIc, read KW ° R or XP ° B ...

But on the right side is it KW ° R or R ° KW? is this systematic or are there variations from one squadron to another ?
it seems very varied and without any real global rule?

Neither for the 615th nor for the 174 sq I can find a vintage photo in MkIIc on the right side! I see a nice picture of MkI ou IIa with B°XP...

So, how do I put my decals ??? Hmm ??

Othe question: here is MkIIc at 174sq at one time of the story of the quadron??

Where and when might help.

As Tony says,  and somewhat surprisingly,  there was no "rule"

see also

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/p/137680/1433121.aspx#1433121

and,  to be clear Left = port, right = Starboard?

I know of a IIB photo of 174 Sq

50805d8a93fb23e7da0234455d567f7d.jpg

Late 1941 to pre May 1942 from the markings.

while wiki is not always correct, they only list 174Sq as having Hurricane IIB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._174_Squadron_RAF

the RAF  site just says 'Hurricanes'

https://www.raf.mod.uk/history/174squadron.cfm

I appreciate English is not your first language,  but your questions are somewhat confusing.

A better response would be  to give serials of the aircraft you are interested in,  if  you have those.

HTH

174 Squadron was formed from the remnants of 607 Sq (with all of its aircraft) when 607 was posted to India.  Therefore it began with the fighter-bomber Mk.IIB, and did not exist when the Mk.I was around.  It may have operated some Mk.IIC slightly later, as it was involved in night intruder operations according the 607/174 pilot R.W.Brookes.  One of the currently existing Hurricanes is coded as Brookes' XP.G, so there should be plenty of photos of it around. showing both sides.  I believe that the codes were carried forward of the roundel on both sides in these two squadrons.

So B.XP is most likely a Mk.IIB, but the serial would help.  I'm not familiar with the photo you mention.  Unfortunately I cannot identify a B-coded 607 Sq Hurricane of this period, which may have been the same.

• Thanks 1