AerMacchi MC205 VELTRO, 1 48 HASEGAWA - Upd. Jan.9: Family pics added

Here's what I consider my latest completion for 2017, even if we are already into 2018: 

KIT: Hasegawa 1:48 Macchi C205 VELTRO

AIRFRAME: AerMacchi built Macchi C205 VELTRO Serie I, 360sima squadriglia, 150° gruppo, 51° stormo

MARKINGS: the wing insignia ("fasci alari"), tail crosses and code numbers were airbrushed using self produced masks; the Savoia emblems inside the tail crosses and the red alignment arrows for the variable incidence tail planes were custom printed on transparent decal film and kindly donated by Eugenio @72linerlover:thumbsup: , the rest of decals are from the kit

PAINTS: mainly Lifecolor acrylics (including the dedicated set for Italian WWII fighters), airbrushed, with the addition of Model Master Metallizer Titanium for the exhausts and Tamiya acrylics for the white bands and crosses, the codes and a few other details. The smoke ring camo is airbrushed as well, thinning the relevant paint with Vallejo Glaze Medium and spraying at a very low pressure, removing the airbrush protective cap. Many thanks to @Giorgio N for the advice on Vallejo Glazing Medium :thumbsup: 

WEATHERING: mostly with tempera washes, various hues

Aftermarkets:

- SBS Models resin/PE cockpit set 

- Quickboost exhaust stacks

Scratchbuilding:

- Resin ailerons; my first attempt at resin casting, pretty happy with that :wink:

- Supercharger intake butterfly valve, using plastic card

- Oil radiators grid covers, from PE leftovers

- Main U/C bay sand covers, plounge molded over gum masters (actually nade cutting them out from a Staedler pencil eraser)

- Main U/C bay inner doors, from some beer can cutouts and 0.5mm styrene sheet

- Undercarriage actuator arms, from steel pipe and rod

- Pitot tube, using a prescription needle and steel rod

- Fuel tank vent, from brass pipe

- The tail plane fairings were removed from the fuselage and I molded a milliput copy to be applied directly onto the kit tail planes, because on the real aircraft they had variable incidence, so there's a gap between the fairings and the fuselage

- Main wheels brake lines, using various tin and copper wires

- Wing navigation lights, again plounge modling clear plastic, using the model wing as master - and stretched clear sprue to reproduce the lamps

and a few other minor things. This model is the second of a double build, which involved a C202 Folgore (completed in August 2017), again from Hasegawa; here's the WIP thread, in case you're interested

A huge thank you to everybody participated in the WIP thread with suggestions, encouragement, advice and even supplying stuff :thumbsup: . Enough blah-blah, on with the pics:

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edit: here are some family pics with the other subject of the double build

family2

family1

family3

Edited by giemme
Family pics added
  • Like 55

Great, Giorgio!

What can I add to all the good comments you have already got?

The quality of your models is not a surprise.

If my count is correct in the photo n. 15 there is the signature of an artist: the control bar is slightly deflectet to the left, according with the movable parts position.

Happy new modeling year.

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Famtastic model Giorgio! It was a pleasure to watch the wip 

Cheers G, and once more thanks a lot for all the support and advice you gave along the way :thumbsup: 

58 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:mike:

INCREDIBLE BUILD !!! Beautiful Model of a great looking plane in one of my all time favorite camouflage patterns. 

Thanks CFFU, glad you like her! :thumbsup: It was my first time with smoke rings camouflage, and there clearly is room for improvement, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it :)

52 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Great, Giorgio!

What can I add to all the good comments you have already got?

The quality of your models is not a surprise.

If my count is correct in the photo n. 15 there is the signature of an artist: the control bar is slightly deflectet to the left, according with the movable parts position.

Happy new modeling year.

Eugenio

Well spotted, Euge :thumbsup:  Actually, in the WIP I had to ask confirmation for the correct ailerons position according to the control bar, just to make sure I wasn't going to cock up with that :wink: Thanks a lot for your help and support, and HAppy Modelling 2018 to you too! :thumbsup:

Ciao

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

an excellent result that is the culmination of a hundred tiny projects within the project.

I could not possibly put it better than Cookie: a superlative example of the modeller's art Giorgio. :clap:

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Beautiful!

Thank you! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Just beautiful Giorgio, once again an excellent result that is the culmination of a hundred tiny projects within the project.

Thank you Cookie :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Wow, superb job.

Thanks Graham :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I could not possibly put it better than Cookie: a superlative example of the modeller's art Giorgio. :clap:

Too kind as always, Tony :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

A wonderful build/s Giemme.

Following these builds along,has been a real joy.

Some very fine detail work and great paintwork/ finishes.

Bravo sir, well done.

Time for a :drink:

Simon.

Thanks mate, glad you liked 'em :thumbsup: And you're right about the beer, I just had a good Weiss as final reward :thumbsup::D

Ciao

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

A down right lovely job.

Cheers Thom, thank you :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Wlad said:

Wow, the Veltro turned out great! Well done. :pilot:

Thanks Wlad :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb Greyhound!

The hand sprayed smoke rings alone are worth a medal.

Amazing modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim :thumbsup: The smoke ring camo was very demanding, but as my first attempt at it, I'm pretty happy with it

Ciao

56 minutes ago, ModellerCH said:

What a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome !!!!

may I ask what did you use for the antenna cables to meke them so realistic?

Thanks ModellerCH :thumbsup:

I used one of my middle daughter's hair for the cables, and a 0.4mm brass pipe for the insulators

49 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking Veltro there, really nice work

Thanks Russ :thumbsup:

Ciao

39 minutes ago, SpaghettiFighter said:

Really good I love it!

Grazie! :thumbsup: Nice nickname :D

12 minutes ago, Zigomar said:

Ottimo lavoro! But there is still room for improvement, mainly on the U/C! Ciao bello!

That's a huge compliment from the Macchi master :worthy::thumbsup:

I totally agree with you about the U/C, at a certain point I was tempted to build them from scratch, but I then decided to  save that for my next Folgore or Veltro build.

That is not the only point where I have margins for improvement, but I will not tell the others ... :coolio::D

Ciao

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

A beauty. Great attention to detail & a superb job on the camouflage.

Pete

Cheers Pete, thank you :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, massimo said:

Bravissimo!!!!

It's wonderful!!!

And now? What' next?

P.S. Don't forget to post a picture of the two brothers together!!!:cheers:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup:

Next is going to be a Hog (Italeri 1/72 A-10A)

And yes, I'll post a pic of the Folgore and Veltro together, as soon as I take it :wink::)

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio. Well what can I say that hasn't been said already above?! An absolutely great WIP thread has resulted in a thoroughly superb aircraft. Your attention to detail throughout the project I think is second to none.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix