Vallejo Surface Primer - Opinions

nheather

Restarting modelling after many many years away.  My last real modelling was over 40 years ago as a teenager.  I used to pump out loads of airfix kits then but everything was done on a budget and I certainly never bothered with primer.

Now I have amassed a large stash (most 1:35 armour) and with a bigger budget have all the tools - but lacking the casual confidence I had as a teenager so prcrastinating a lot.

Anyway, primers - is the Vallejo Surface Primer any good?  I get the feeling that it goes on well but does not sand very well.  Any experience?

And also about sizes?

I’ve seen primer sold in 17ml, 30ml, 60ml, 120ml and 200ml bottles but unsure what that actually means in real terms.

Can anyone relate how many models you could prepare with a given size - not looking for anything precise just a gut feel rule of thumb - it would be airbrushed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

I have been wary of using these sort of primers, especially on aircraft models that require masking as they tend to lift off with the masking tape.

And as you point out they don't tend too sand well, one thing you need with a primer as its a good way to see any areas that need correcting, seams etc

I prefer a cellulose primer as I know it will stick, dry quick and will sand well, but you do need a mask and extractor for these, to be honest you should with acrylics as well anyway

Size wise you should go for the bigger bottles as your going to use quite a bit as your doing large 1/35 kits, hard to say what people will use as it depends on how thick they are laying it down.

Better to have enough than run out part way through, you can always use it up with other kits you have to do

I don't use any 'model' primers as such and also I've had no success airbrushing any primer. It always seems to come out dry and clog my airbrush, leaving a horrible dry finish on the model. Now I just use aerosol primer. Tamiya grey when I want a top finish before painting and Halfords plastic primer for general roughing out and over filled areas to test my work. I find them very good and fairly inexpensive. A small can of Tamiya will do 2-3 model cars. The larger Halfords cans will go further..

I used to use Vallejo Surface Primer. It airbrushed well but if you didn't leave it long time to dry it rolls up when sanding. Now used AK Primer and Microfiller, available in 3 colours.

Great stuff, drys smoothly and quickly, self levels and you can sand it within a couple of hours of applying. Never had a problem with masking tape lifting the primer coat. Only downside is clean up and you really need AK Extreme Cleaner to remove all the residue from the airbrush.

If using acrylic paint then primer is a really good idea. With lacquer or enamel its a different story but avoid cellulose as a primer.

P

I am using Vallejo light grey surface primer. It leaves a very good even finish, but is forever clogging up my spray gun. I think the trick is to thin it down more than I have been. Normally I do 30 - 70 thinners to primer, but need to go more 50 - 50.