1/72nd Matchbox Lysander Mk.II, 28 Sqn RAF, Burma 1942

Hiya Folks,

Another one from the excellent Matchbox GB,..... this is the lovely little Lysander kit built as a Mk.II of 28 Sqn which operated in support of the Army during its withdrawal through Burma to India in 1942, often operating in the bomber role alongside Blenheim`s. Built mainly from the box, the rear fuselage windows were cut out, the spat landing lights were drilled out and glazed too, antennae masts and a gun sight mast on the cowling were made from piano wire, a tropical filter was located in the spares box from an old Magna Martinet and bomb racks came from an Airfix Blenheim.

Here is the real aircraft;

Image result for 28 sqn lysander

And my attempt at recreating it;

27740203539_59cc70a82d_k.jpg

39486235862_ec296d2b65_k.jpgDSCF2266 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27740200289_bc4aa97426_k.jpgDSCF2265 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

DSCF2292 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

24648684627_d38a0c10d6_k.jpgDSCF2294 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27740203169_1e911da17d_k.jpgDSCF2293 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

24648680677_a06d821f9b_k.jpgDSCF2313 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27740200719_424edd7452_k.jpgDSCF2314 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27740200499_845d56e62e_k.jpgDSCF2315 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27740199889_3a9fcfb830_k.jpgDSCF2318 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The model was brush painted, mostly using Aeromaster and Polly Scale acrylics and here is the WIP for anybody interested;

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Pat C said:

Super job Tony - must get round to building my own one one the stash. How did you do the lights in the wheel spats?

pat

Cheers Pat,.....the wheel spat lights,....well  drilled the holes, used needle files to shape them slightly, then added some white glue, which when it was almost dry I pushed inwards to replicate a lens shape. I then painted this silver and added more white glue/Crystal Clear to create the clear cover. If it had gone wrong I had some lenses from Small Scale Car to fall back on.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

What a great Lizzie! The extra work certainly makes the old Matchbox kit come alive.

And it's good to see an exhaust collector ring that looks real, instead of the mythical 'copper' tone that you sometimes see.

Sterling work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Tony

Sorry I missed this one till now.

What beautiful work - your Lysander looks very realistic especially as this is an old Matchbox kit - very impressive.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Pat,.....the wheel spat lights,....well  drilled the holes, used needle files to shape them slightly, then added some white glue, which when it was almost dry I pushed inwards to replicate a lens shape. I then painted this silver and added more white glue/Crystal Clear to create the clear cover. If it had gone wrong I had some lenses from Small Scale Car to fall back on.

Cheers

Tony

What a great idea Tony, thanks for sharing.

another lovely build of a Matchbox classic, I do have a soft spot for the Lysander :)

• Like 1