1/32 Revell (new tool) P-51D-5 Mustang

13 hours ago, John Terrell said:

With regard to the seat, the "alternative" option provided by Revell depicts a Schick Johnson seat. These didn't really begin showing up in P-51D's until P-51D-20-NA production. All of the P-51D-5-NA's had early Warren McArthur seats (unless modified much later in the field - both seat types were of course interchangeable), which were a carry-over from previous P-51B production. Note that, unlike the later Warren McArthur seats, this early derivative had a straight forward edge to the seat pan. Although some Warren McArthur seats are known to have been painted dark dull green, in all of the photos I've seen of D-5-NA's it would appear they were painted interior green, just like the rest of the cockpit.

40314862212_51c949a445_o.jpg

Hi all,

In fact, it seems that Shick Johnson seats started to appear with the D-15-NA, as suggested by this factory picture of F-6D-15-NA 44-15581

uckwmzS.jpg

I had made a thread on the P-51 SIG about 7 years ago about P-51s seats, and posted this picture using a couple of NAA blueprints

TpTpXOm.jpg

showing why the front of the seat had to be curved, and that the cockpit pictures show 43-12102, this plane had a very unique gunsight, which we can partly see on the pictures.

Laurent

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 10:54 PM, silberpferd said:

Hi all,

In fact, it seems that Shick Johnson seats started to appear with the D-15-NA, as suggested by this factory picture of F-6D-15-NA 44-15581

I had made a thread on the P-51 SIG about 7 years ago about P-51s seats, and posted this picture using a couple of NAA blueprints

TpTpXOm.jpg

showing why the front of the seat had to be curved, and that the cockpit pictures show 43-12102, this plane had a very unique gunsight, which we can partly see on the pictures.

Laurent

Bonjour Laurent,  your original post on the SIG was indeed what made me aware of the need for a curved seat bucket on P-51D's.

I also thought the cockpit photos showed 43-12102 because of the gunsight but on the 2nd picture I think I see what looks like P-51D gun ports.

If correct that would mean a lot more modifications than what was done to 43-12102, leaving 42-106539 or 540 as the best possibility.

I agree about the SJ seat starting during the D-15 production, it is visible on captain Roscoe Brown's "Bunny" (44-15569) and a few others.

Edited by Tourist
Typo

18 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Christian

Thanks for your interjection.

I like the fact that the seats seem to have had a slight curve - because I've done my straightening and there is a slight curve still present - so that's nice and prototypical :)

So does John's photo show a 'subtly curved' seat front (hidden by the ding?).

Matt

Hi Matt, great start on your build!

To be clear, the 2 stage curve variation is just a theory of mine and needs to be verified.

There are very few period pictures showing the seat pan so I also look at surviving Mustangs and restorations (which are not always good sources for historical accuracy).

• Like 1

Before proceeding with my build, I just wanted to point anyone with an interest in the intricacies of the P-51D to this thread:

Olivier's thread is a gold mine of reference and details and becoming more so with each passing day. It's also a great build and in 1/48 is putting a lot more detail in than I'm contemplating in 1/32. His thread certainly inspired me to put my efforts up here. Go have a look.!

Matt

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tourist said:

To be clear, the 2 stage curve variation is just a theory of mine and needs to be verified.

Well Christian, like a surprisingly large number of things from a relatively recent time, we seem to know surprisingly little. My seat has a slight curve to the front of the pan... though once it's in the 'pit and has some belts on it I doubt much will be visible :)

Thanks for your observations.

matt 

16 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Well Christian, like a surprisingly large number of things from a relatively recent time, we seem to know surprisingly little. My seat has a slight curve to the front of the pan... though once it's in the 'pit and has some belts on it I doubt much will be visible :)

Thanks for your observations.

I'm sure it will look fine with the belts on.

BTW I was the one who wrote the bit about the wheel wells finish you posted on LSP.

Edited by Tourist

Aha! Well, in that case I'll go over and give it an attribution.

My wheel bays started off overall YZC, then they got overall silver and finally the masking job with the YZC. If I can be bothered I may pick a few bits out in the greens and maybe a little more aluminium...?

I am going to 'cheat' on the wheel bays by having the inner u/c doors just starting to drop as the hydraulic pressure falls off. I like the look of one door slightly lower than the other that is often seen.

Matt

• Like 1

Ok I also used the HGW belts...

They look great when done..

I asked somewhere else about the life preserver cushion, The view was that it didn’t seem to get used much in the 8th AF / ETO. I’m not sure how accurate that view is. Nor if the preserver is applicable to D-5’s.

Food for thought possibly 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few update photos of construction...

'pit is just about finished and I may join the fuselage halves this evening. To me at least, the P-51 'pit is characterised by lots of placards - they're everywhere! I put what Revell supply in but it looked a bit bare. So (and don't tell anyone else) I used various 1/32 and 1/48 Airscale Luftwaffe decals to spruce it up. I went for general shape of placard. The very fine 'cable' is an errant dog hair..

I've added a couple of odds and ends to the pit but nothing fundamental (couple of wires, throttle linkage). Need to add scuffing to the floor before closing up...

38811344110_0fcec618af_c.jpgP-51D-5 37by Matt Low, on Flickr

38811342430_73ce3bf185_c.jpgP-51D-5 38by Matt Low, on Flickr

40579041672_12c9af33e3_c.jpgP-51D-5 39by Matt Low, on Flickr

39910575664_e288474067_c.jpgP-51D-5 40by Matt Low, on Flickr

My interior green doesn't look as radioactive in real life.. :)

At the back end I have finished the canvas boot for the tail gear leg (Plasticine coated in Superglue) and put doped covers over the lightening holes in the well structure (saw this in an image of an unrestored Swiss machine). Most of this will hardly be seen when closed up.

39910584454_bcb2be1453_c.jpgP-51D-5 36by Matt Low, on Flickr

39910591994_56909e4d88_c.jpgP-51D-5 34by Matt Low, on Flickr

25750578817_ffd925a3e8_c.jpgP-51D-5 33by Matt Low, on Flickr

25750579737_ed64ed5e68_c.jpgP-51D-5 41by Matt Low, on Flickr

I don't know why I did close ups of this as it looks like it has been sculpted out of dog poo! I can assure you it looks fine at normal viewing.. :)

Still a thoroughly enjoyable build.

Matt

• Like 3

One thing I am disappointed with is the canopy and Windscreen.

They both have distortion that appears to be a combination of surface irregularity and internal flow marks (so no polishing out). I had a spare Tamiya early canopy which fits beautifully. I tried the windscreen as well. Handily, the windscreen will fit with a little fettling of the mating surfaces. I have now contacted Tamiya's importer and have a couple of spare windscreen sprues on their way to me (for subsequent Mustangs). They were £7.99 each, but if you think of them as aftermarket that isn't too bad (with £4.50 postage).

Their addition really does make quite a difference, especially on that great big canopy. The windscreen sprue also gives you windscreen armour,  two gunsights, rear view mirror, nav lights - so is quite useful.

I'll post a couple of images later.

Matt

• Like 1

As promised, Tamiya windscreen and canopy in place... look at the lovely clarity... it really raises the kit in my view...

39773644755_85a5a7574d_c.jpgP-51D-5 43 by Matt Low, on Flickr

40668761901_caa67efcfe_c.jpgP-51D-5 44 by Matt Low, on Flickr

The previous and following images show that I need to take a little more material of the bottom of the windscreen (or fuselage) to allow the windscreen to sit properly. The windscreen is sitting over the Revell coaming so no issues there.

39773646195_8e7a1c7165_c.jpgP-51D-5 45 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Finally, the thinness of the Tamiya canopy (Revell's is pretty thin, mind you) makes it naturally 'drop' down onto the spine of the fuselage in the open position. This is a characteristic sit and adds to 'the look'.

26797322078_94a2db2e29_c.jpgP-51D-5 42 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Matt

• Like 3

They look great Matt, almost like they were designed to fit it, especially as the main canopy sits down onto the spine. I have a Dragon Mustang to finish and the windscreen fit is notoriously bad, I wonder if I could retro-fit one of these, it might be worth a try.

Cheers

John

32 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I wonder if I could retro-fit one of these, it might be worth a try.

Hi John, I would say no, I have both kits, Dragon's canopy/fuselage area is way too wide, I can't find my windshield now to make a comparation but I really doubt it will fit!

cheers

I've had some great help from John Terrell, looking at the stamps on the aluminium of the mustang's skin etc.

Made up a 'scale-ish' replica. Printed out for a test on plain paper.

40731579941_93dcdb2d3f_c.jpgP-51D-5 47 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Just about legible...

39836569625_dbf211b18b_c.jpgP-51D-5 46 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Have to try on decal paper now...

Matt

• Like 3

Cheers guys.

MDC did the Luftwaffe stamps... The Extra coolness is that in some locations (just like of Luftwaffe machines) these stamps appeared on the outside of the fuselage. So I'll sneak a couple in here or there. John's also pointed me to a stainless steel stamp which could be seen on the rub plate on the inner u/c doors... :)

Matt

• Like 1

That info on the Tamiya canopy is solid gold... Good work..

I reckon you you could make a bit of cash selling those Alclad decals... Especially while the kit is still in its ‘rapture’ phase...

• Like 1

So, after re-ordering the three different lines of text to a more prototypical format, I've printed a few lines of the stamps out.

26863020418_0a9a51880c_c.jpgP-51D-5 48 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Basically you have these lines

A line which just repeats ALCLAD 24 S-T

Another repeating ALCLAD 24 S-T AN-A-13 ALCLAD 24 S-T

The above lines alternate until at what seems to be the 9th line we get  ALCOA REG.TM .051" The REG. and T.M. are directly above each other (can't do that on this system).

There are different thicknesses of alu sheet. .051" is the thickness of the wheel well roof and the outer skin of the inner gear doors. I have also run off a line of .032" (vertical tail skin), .081 (wing fuel tank covers) and .040" horizontal tail skin).. I can use these if I want to depict any stamped outer skin panels.

Matt

• Like 2