1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Time for a new project!   :)

The TSR.2 needs no introduction to the fine folk here on Britmodeller, and I couldn't do justice to an introduction anyway. I just finished reading Damien Burke's exquisite book "TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber" and besides the superb reference photos and drawings, I think it presents a fair and balanced history of the aircraft. As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts, ma'am." I also just picked up (at an antique swap of all places!) a copy of Tim McLelland's book "TSR2 - Britain's Lost Cold War Strike Aircraft." Similar titles, same subject matter, and I'm hoping to finish this as I start the build. Let's take a look at the goodies I'll be starting with.

First, the kit. I opted for this version of the Airfix offering because first, it was available, and second, the decal sheet is much better than in the first release. I still can't fathom the lady pilots riding jockey-style in the cockpit, though!

box

Of course, I'll be saving the lady pilots for another project. In the meantime, they'll be keeping us safe from meteors.   :)

Next, how about some resin? On Damien Burke's lovely website Thunder & Lightnings, the aftermarket sets from CMK are recommended, which I think means a lot coming from a subject matter expert. I procured several sets, which contributed significantly to Hannant's shareholder dividend for 2017:

No. 7131 Interior Set includes the usual cockpit pieces, but also a nice vacuform canopy (but only one - oh dear!), an avionics bay, and some nice photoetch.

IMG_1561

Next is No. 7132 the Exterior Set which includes the engine exhaust along with the intakes and FOD covers.

IMG_1565

Set No. 7133 features the control surfaces and air brakes:

IMG_1571

Set No. 7134 is sold by the pound (literally and monetarily), and in my eye significantly improves the detail in the wheel wells, tyres, and gear covers.

IMG_1559

And lastly, set No. 7135 has some improvements for the weapons bay:

IMG_1572

While I was in a resin buying frenzy, I also bought two items from CMK's Quick & Easy line, not realising that these were included in the Interior Set. So now I have some spares just in case...

I also found an Eduard photoetch set in my stash, which I absolutely remember selling to someone. Either I bought two to begin with (why?) or I never shipped it to the poor bloke. I sincerely hope it's the former! The set consists of several frets as shown here:

73257_640

To be honest, I suspect a lot of this is not necessary especially the wheel well pieces. We'll see if any of it gets used at all - maybe I can still ship it to that chap if he comes forward and identifies himself!   :)

Let's see, what else? Oh yeah, the Master turned brass pitot tube and Eduard's masking set:

998771-10105-38-720

115976-11104-pristine

Hmm...now that I look at it, this seems like a rather big project. Suitable for starting the new year, wouldn't you say? What with resolutions, promises, visions of grandeur, and all that stuff? Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 35

31 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Wow, this is going to be a joy to watch Bill. Have you forgotten some metal undercarriage to support all that resin 🤭

You know, that may be a good idea. Those wheel well pieces are a bit heavy. I think Scale Aircraft Conversions have a white metal set for the Airfix kit. I wonder if it will fix the "splay" problem? Oh well, there goes my wallet again...

28 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice project I'll follow along if you don't mind?

Everyone is welcome! I think it will be a fun project, and I look forward to advice and counsel from my fellow Britmodellers. I'm sure I will have a few questions along the way.

Cheers,

Bill

Good luck on this one, Bill! I also have an original boxing of this, which I've partially built (what else? Do I ever finish any models?). That is an impressive assortment of AM - rather like what I have for my Airfix Buccaneer.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I just finished reading Damien Burke's exquisite book...also just picked up (at an antique swap of all places!) a copy of Tim McLelland's book "TSR2 - Britain's Lost Cold War Strike Aircraft." Similar titles, same subject matter

And curiously enough, the authors are (or rather were, as Tim McLelland has passed away) bitter enemies, something to do with Amazon reviews for each others' books. Ah, to live in this glorious future!

Excited to see you do justice to this one, Bill.

A2Zee (or rather Odds and Ordnance) do a corrected fin, as well.

• Like 1

(Notices that it's a Navy Bird build)- "Count me in! :) "

(Notices that it's a TSR-2 build)- "Oh gosh, this will be a great build!"

(Notices the aftermarket parts)- :gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked:

This has all the makings of a great project, I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Best wishes,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

I investigated my own kit over Christmas as a possible 2018 project.

One BM post sticks in my mind regarding this kit, in that a chap recommended an unusual order of assembly for this kit.

Might have been starting off with the upper surface of the wing & assembling the rest of the model around that?

I will watch with interest! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roys said:

I investigated my own kit over Christmas as a possible 2018 project.

One BM post sticks in my mind regarding this kit, in that a chap recommended an unusual order of assembly for this kit.

Might have been starting off with the upper surface of the wing & assembling the rest of the model around that?

I will watch with interest! 

I wound up taking a six-inch fatherless-child file to the mating surfaces of the wing to reduce its thickness somewhat to eliminate a step between it and the upper fuselage.  It sounds a bit drastic but I needed something of sufficient size to cover as much of the mating surfaces as possible in a single pass and minimise any unevenness.

The undercarriage and weapons bay doors aren't a very good fit but I had very little trouble getting most of the fuselage together without having to resort to tons of filler and a dictionary of profanities.  Maybe, for once, I was just lucky..................

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

box

Of course, I'll be saving the lady pilots for another project. In the meantime, they'll be keeping us safe from meteors.   :)

Is that a clue to a future project? If so, (to use text speak) I think I have an idea what their "F8" will be...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm in for this, it'll be my usual popping in & out, something to do with having the attention span of a grass hopper but I won't get too far away. I'm sure to pick up some tips for the one I have.

You'll also discover what NOT to do, which is sometimes more useful!    :)  :)

56 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Good luck on this one, Bill! I also have an original boxing of this, which I've partially built (what else? Do I ever finish any models?). That is an impressive assortment of AM - rather like what I have for my Airfix Buccaneer.

I know that Brick isn't Soviet, but get building it! I really wish Airfix would scale that puppy down to 1:72. Maybe they'll announce that in a couple of days.

52 minutes ago, Procopius said:

And curiously enough, the authors are (or rather were, as Tim McLelland has passed away) bitter enemies, something to do with Amazon reviews for each others' books. Ah, to live in this glorious future!

Excited to see you do justice to this one, Bill.

A2Zee (or rather Odds and Ordnance) do a corrected fin, as well.

If I recall, the corrected fin has an intake in the leading edge. Did all three prototypes have this, or was it specific to a particular airframe?

Enemies, huh? I've just read the first few chapters of Tim's book and its remarkably similar to tone and perspective to Damien's. Dueling authors...

27 minutes ago, roys said:

I remember that, too, but haven't been able to find it. I think it had to do with assembling the wing and upper rear fuselage first, to ensure a good alignment between them, and then attaching the assembly to the fuselage proper. Or something like that...I'll keep looking for that thread.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I wound up taking a six-inch fatherless-child file to the mating surfaces of the wing...

Yikes! Well, I handled the "Mother of all Gaps" on my little Buffalo build, so I'm willing to tackle this challenge!    :)

8 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

Is that a clue to a future project? If so, (to use text speak) I think I have an idea what their "F8" will be...

Oh dear...nothing planned at present!

Here is a nice shot that shows the improved detail in the resin cockpit, when compared to the kit parts. Not that the kit parts are bad, but there's something about resin.

IMG_1648

For the resin pit to fit, the lower locating tabs on the inside of the front fuselage need to be removed. Fire up the Dremel!    :)

Refresh my memory, folks - the cockpit was painted Dark Admiralty Grey. Right? Or was it something else?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

Most excellent! I shall follow this thread with interest as I have the airfix kit (sans Japanese girly theme) in the stash.

The info on all the aftermarket goodies is a gem to start with!

This should be an entertaining build. Do you have a colour scheme selected for it yet?

Regarding the comment on "only the facts", that is what proper journalism is for - just research the facts and present them to the reader/viewer and let them come to their own conclusion. Sadly all we see nowadays is "presenters" regurgitating the work of others and then informing us on what our opinion has to be. [/rant mode]

• Like 1

The intake on the fin is really simple to do, a little cutting out and a few peices of 20thou and your done.

I know as I did it myself which now means I have a spare Odds and Ordnance part :huh:

Gondor

• Like 2

A Navy Bird build of one of my favourite aircraft - I can't wait.

Luck wished as requested Bill, although I know you won't need it :)

• Like 2

Unusual subject, lots of resin, Navy Bird's build... a nice start for 2018, me thinks! :Tasty::popcorn:

Well, good luck! Since you're not getting back to that Spitfire (yet), I'll be tagging along this one, if you don't mind :wink:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 18:38, giemme said:

Since you're not getting back to that Spitfire (yet)...

One never knows what strange happenings might be going on at this very moment in Navy Bird's Studio.   :hypnotised:

So, right, TSR2. Is it TSR2 or TSR.2? Or undecided perhaps? Anyway, I've encountered my first issue. The lovely pre-printed photoetch, both in CMK and Eduard guises, have used the wrong colour for the instrument panels. It's this yucky light blue-gray, when it should be Dark Admiralty Grey. This means I'll have to paint it if I want to use it. Now, I've done this before but it's going to be especially tricky on these as there is some very fine detail that I'll have to paint around. Oh bother. Did I ask you to wish me luck? Right, so I did. Thanks!

There are some great colour photos of the TSR2 cockpit, circa 1965, in Damien Burke's book. I'll be using those for reference. One interesting thing he points out, again with some superb colour photos, is that the ejection seat frames were left in a natural alloy colour. This will make for some nice contrast in an otherwise all-gray cockpit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing this one. I have the same kit and the CMR Resin as well.

Just a few words of warning based on my experience. the CMR bomb bay on my example is shorter than the kit part I'm not sure if this was down to shrinkage so your part might be ok. Mine will need some modification to fit.

Also if you fit the electronics bay and the resin nose wheel well they foul each other so it might take a bit of fettling to get them both to fit.

Hope you find this information useful and look forward to seeing the build progress

Regards,

Mark

• Like 3