1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

12 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

If you colonials would see sense and start driving on the correct side of the road it wouldn't be a problem.

How about non-colonial rest-of-the-world people on Planet Earth? :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

If you colonials would see sense and start driving on the correct side of the road it wouldn't be a problem.

Here in Texas we eliminated those "roundabouts" (we call 'em "traffic circles") as hazards on state highways years ago. I was personally responsible for helping convert one to a sensible 4-way intersection during a summer job with the Texas Highway Department while in high school over 50 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Here in Texas we eliminated those "roundabouts" (we call 'em "traffic circles") as hazards on state highways years ago. I was personally responsible for helping convert one to a sensible 4-way intersection during a summer job with the Texas Highway Department while in high school over 50 years ago.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

How about non-colonial rest-of-the-world people on Planet Earth? :rofl: 

Ciao

Sensible policies for a better planet!

32 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Probably not enough space for that on our crowded island.

29 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

And so perish all Her Majesty's enemies!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi mates,

How about a quick update? As I mentioned, the gear doors are on, the horizontal tailplanes/elevators are on, and the wing flaps as well.

IMG_1857

Some additional detail painting has been done to the avionics bay and those fiddly intake doors are in place.

IMG_1859

Another view of the intake doors - I have to admit that the CMK pieces are nicely done. For some of the test flights of XR219, these intake doors were locked open, which I presume was done with the two small "arms" on each door. However, XR220 never flew, and the photos I have of her with these doors open, there are no arms. So I think I'll just leave it like this.

IMG_1860

You might be able to see the extra link that goes from the lower airbrake door actuator to the central drive system. Airfix left out this detail, but CMK provided the parts.

IMG_1861

I'm not sure what to do with the bomb bay. I could leave it alone, or add either of the two options from CMK. One is the orange thermal blanket as seen on XR220 today, but it is kind of boring. The other pallet is more interesting, but I'm not sure what it is.

IMG_1862

The nice detail in the nose gear well will disappear once the remaining nose gear doors go on. These were normally closed when on the ground, but I suppose I could pose them open.

IMG_1863

We're getting there, slow but sure. As for the great roundabout/four-way stop debate, there are pros and cons for each. Roundabouts move more cars through (Mythbusters showed about 20% more) and have fewer accidents, but pedestrian access and safety is better with four-way stops, assuming the people are actually crossing the road and not using a bridge or tunnel. So I think it all depends on the circumstance which one should be used. In my town, they've changed quite a few four-ways into roundabouts, and I like them.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. @CedB - it will be Thursday. I'll send you a PM.

• Like 21

Hi Bill,

Just picking up on this amazing thread. This is some of the very best 1/72 modelling I have seen. I love the way this is progressing.

I have also been thoroughly distracted by the thread on your 1/72 Buccaneer S1. :smile::smile::smile:

Quite simply excellent modelling!

I'm staying tuned in here ......

Terry

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beard said:

Roundabouts, you want roundabouts?

Try this one in Swindon: 

http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/england/3766-swindon-s-magic-roundabout.html

(Nice work on the TSR2. I've just spent an enjoyable afternoon reading the thread.)

Ah yes, Swindon's famous Magic Roundabout. I remember when I encountered that for the first time. It was snowing and dark (like it is here, now). It was memorable to say the least!

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 2

I think I've seen this plane at RAF Cosford Aircraft Museum.

It looks really good.

An edit:

I just gave my mate Miggers a phone call and he tells me I'm correct,we saw it last year at the Cosford air display and that

there is a great documentory about it out on the 'net somewhere(I need to go look for that).

Thinking about it,I remember seeing the plane,pretty big and white and front head on it looked like some sort of alien ufo.

I said to him that a guy called Bill was building one and he said Hi Bill.

Edited by Kenny Stevens
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The nice detail in the nose gear well will disappear once the remaining nose gear doors go on. These were normally closed when on the ground, but I suppose I could pose them open.

You can leave the doors open: the main pressure refuelling/defuelling connection is at the rear end of the well so needs to be accessible during turn-rounds and fuel system testing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Saying that, the large main undercarriage doors would normaly be closed as well.

Gondor

• Like 1

Really a splendid build and a joy to watch Bill.

I think over-painting the panel lines with a light coat of white was just the ticket. Personally, i feel the orange insulating blanket will add a nice touch of colour to an otherwise sort-of-bland-looking off white weapons bay....But we don't know what colour the "Mystery Pallet" is painted in yet, do we?

I'm still wondering why they put elevators on the elevators though...

-d-

• Like 2

Here's another, in High Wycombe. They're fantastic when used properly, far better than a four way stop. Problem here in the US is people don't know how do drive them!

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David H said:

-d-

I think you will find that those are "Trim Tabs" which allow you to make offsets to the normal amount of deflection required.

Gondor

• Like 1

I would love to build one of these one day...

Have book marked this for reference.  Beautiful work.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

You can leave the doors open: the main pressure refuelling/defuelling connection is at the rear end of the well so needs to be accessible during turn-rounds and fuel system testing.

Thanks - right after I wrote that post I found photos of XR219 with those doors open while on the ground (and, now that you mention it, a hose of some kind leading into the bay). I probably don't have to worry about absolute accuracy here, as I have the large main gear doors and the airbrakes open as well. I've already broken the rules - belly up to the bar!  :)

4 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Saying that, the large main undercarriage doors would normaly be closed as well.

True fact, but both the kit and CMK parts are horrible fitting (the CMK parts are actually underscale) and I wanted to show off the detail in the main gear bays. That resin is just so crisp and beautiful - I guess that's a good enough reason to keep all the nose gear doors open too.   :)

3 hours ago, David H said:

Really a splendid build and a joy to watch Bill.

I think over-painting the panel lines with a light coat of white was just the ticket. Personally, i feel the orange insulating blanket will add a nice touch of colour to an otherwise sort-of-bland-looking off white weapons bay....But we don't know what colour the "Mystery Pallet" is painted in yet, do we?

The trailing edge flaps on the tailplanes were for additional pitch authority at low speed. They could only be operated when the wing flaps were down. When the wing flaps were retracted, the tailplane flaps were locked in neutral position.

The second pallet, as far as I can tell, is the same flight test instrumentation but without the thermal blanket. It's basically white and silver, with some orange conduits running along the edge. To be honest, I think I like the detail of the structural pieces in the bare bomb bay better (pardon my alliteration). The second pallet kind of looks like a conveyor belt. But we'll see.

I've added some off-white to the top of the vertical fin, and I need to put some flat black inside the fin's leading edge intake. Thanks again to the generous Britmodeller who donated this part to my build. I was having a bit of trouble procuring this part, even sending emails to the manufacturer/distributor. I won't name any names, but they did not even respond to me. I was just reading in Burke's book the other night about this intake - it provided cooling air to the brake parachute container. I wonder if there was some concern about the chute getting too hot, seeing as it was in-between the exhausts?

Almost there...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Great work!
I have only one remark - the flaps of TSR.2 are consist of two sections.
Without the longitudinal plate joining them.
Plate is a museum revision!

1336839972_tsr2_47_of_57.jpg

so it was on my model

1336839973_P1230752.jpg

Edited by Seversky
  • Like 2