1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

21 hours ago, David H said:

Simply beautiful, Bill.

I'm not sure if its an optical illusion caused by the camera angle, or if its because that big panel on the side is open but the forward fuselage seems to have a foreshortened "chunkiness" to it..... which it didn't seem to have in previous photos.

Hmm...camera angle I guess, or some other localised disturbance in the space-time continuum. It's also possible that, while I wasn't looking, wifey put the model into her Chunk-a-gator Foreshortener machine. Here, let me have a tug on it and see if I can stretch it back...

IMG_1906

Better?   :)

While I was building this, I compared the parts to the 1:72 scale drawings in McLelland's book and as far as I can tell they matched quite well. Oh! I remember what I forgot - the fuel vents on the outboard trailing edge of each wing. They should have been drilled out, but they're awfully small. I was going to simulate the opening with either paint or a decal. I knew there was something!

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful compliments!

Personally, I don't think this is one of my better efforts, but it makes the time and effort worth it to hear what you think. I'll probably wait until tonight to take the rest of the photos, as it seems the pix come out better if the only light in the room is coming from my photo lamps. Especially when you're trying to get a good white.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

I still think its beautiful. You always choose such interesting subjects and all of your works are truly gems.

I look forward to your RFI posting with witty comments.

-d-

Edited by David H
proofreading error
  • Like 1

She has come out most splendidly indeed! Following the thread, it seemed as if everything almost fell straight into place on the first attempt... which is most reassuring when having one stashed away.

Lovely detail work and especially with the open-heart surgery to insert the resin parts. Jolly splendid indeed.

• Like 1

You seem to be in a minority of one in your opinion of this model Bill, the rest of us seem to love it.

Martian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ratch said:

Spanker :wub:

You know some if us had to read that twice....

But, yes Bill, nice looking TSR. 👍

Valiant next did I hear you say?

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Already caught up with that. ;) Gotta say Bill, it is a bit blooming nice & I don't think the previous out pourings of praise have anything to do with the TSR.2 effect ( known to cause irrationally enthusiastic utterances. ) They're all totally deserved. Thanks for sharing your labours with us again. Next one please. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Pretty cool plane, and nice kit with lots of AM goodies! That's nice! :)

Excellent job! It looks amazing! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Navy Bird said:

I have the parts from CMK for the flight test instrument packages that were in the bomb bay:

IMG_1572

I presume that part 1 is the flight test instrument pack. Is this right for XP219 or the thermal blanket?

On 23/06/2018 at 07:31, Ratch said:

I presume that part 1 is the flight test instrument pack. Is this right for XP219 or the thermal blanket?

This photo shows the flight test instrument pack with the thermal blanket removed:

tsr2_35_of_57

And with it in place over the test instruments:

tsr2_36_of_57

This photo is of XR220 as she appears today. According to Damien Burke's book, XR220 was scheduled to perform flight tests for flutter, vibration, structure loads, engines, handling, roll/yaw coupling, and several related to external stores - handling, loads, and flutter. The flight test for XR219 were related to handling and performance.

The resin parts from CMK appear to represent the flight test instruments and thermal blanket on XR220, which makes sense as it is available for study. You can use either one of the parts if you're going to model XR220, or perhaps modify them to represent the museum display so that the blanket is only over the forward portion of the instruments.

I was not able to find any photos of what may have been in the bomb bay of XR219, if anything, during her flights. Sorry.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I have nothing that I could identify as being 219, This may be or not?

Interesting photo, John. Based on the gear strut only on the left side, and the unusual framework outside of the bay door on the right side (looks a bit like wood), perhaps this is an engineering mock-up?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1